AMA - 135lbs to 165lbs - Muscle

Options
Ask Me Anything

Disclaimer - I am not claiming to be a professional anything, I'm just passing along my story and MY personal experience in the process of gaining mass while staying lean.

Before and After
sean_before_after_zpsf2jgbz89.jpg

Replies

• pauldm1
    pauldm1 Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    30lbs of muscle is is admirable how many years did this take you? Were these those sweet fresh gains from never really having lifted before?
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    pauldm1 wrote: »
    30lbs of muscle is is admirable how many years did this take you?

3 Years on and off with 1 year fully dedicated.

So it took me about two years not really dedicated, I'd go to the gym a couple days a week, didn't know what macros were, etc. Took me two years to gain 10-15lbs.

In the last year I was fully dedicated I went from about 145-148 to where I am now 165ish.
  • pauldm1
    pauldm1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thats great man. I started lifting in jan 2013 so im approaching that mark soon. Mirin Your lean phisique lookin good. What was your biggest factor in maintaining it? Did you do a traditional bulk/cut cycle or something else to stay dried out?
  • sscarmack
    Options
    pauldm1 wrote: »
    Thats great man. I started lifting in jan 2013 so im approaching that mark soon. Mirin Your lean phisique lookin good. What was your biggest factor in maintaining it? Did you do a traditional bulk/cut cycle or something else to stay dried out?
    Hmmmm. I honestly did not do a traditional bulk/cut or anything like that. I hate to say it, because not everyone is fortunate enough. But I still have such a high metabolism that I can eat what I want, when I want and I really don't have to worry about packing on any extra weight. So I stay lean 365.

Now don't get me wrong, I still stick to the basics. I order chicken by bulk, 40lbs at a time. And that will last me a little over a month.

I'm on a High Carb, High Protein diet and lift heavy.

I never tried to drop down beyond 10%, not yet. I'm still trying to pack on as much mass as possible first. My goal is around 185-190 and then I'll figure something out.

Maintenance. Track everything I eat to the best I can. Never go two days without lifting. Make sure I get enough protein in my diet (at least 150g a day). Once a month, burnout. Super sets, drop sets, etc. Go until I can barely lift the 45lb bar, seriously.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Morning Bump - Rise n shine beautiful fitness pals :)
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Time to bulk up.
  • CrystalCM10
    CrystalCM10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My lord you look amazing. Congrats.....that is a lot of work and admirable to do and still stay balanced emotionally. Thanks for sharing!
  • smokingroaches
    smokingroaches Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nice!!!! Way to go!
    I want that physic but I'm at a plateau right now!!!
  • sscarmack
    Options
    My lord you look amazing. Congrats.....that is a lot of work and admirable to do and still stay balanced emotionally. Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you for the kind words :)
    Nice!!!! Way to go!
    I want that physic but I'm at a plateau right now!!!
    What I usually do when I hit a wall, I sometimes take a week off, or I cut back my schedule. I'm usually 6-7 days a week and have to force myself into taking a rest day.

So what I'll do is cut it back to 3 times a week and completely switch up my workouts from the norm.

Also find some foods you just can't live without and mix those into your diet so it feels like you're treating yourself.

I'm currently in pickle right now myself. I'm just tired of eating, and the thought of my next meal makes me sick. I'm eating around 3k a day and thats about 4-6 meals depending how my schedule works out.

If you have any specific questions just let me know.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Evening bump
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Lets raise this again for those who missed it.