Measuring your weight loss with no scale

Options
BadgerFaced
BadgerFaced Posts: 66 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
As the title suggests, I don't own a scale so I can't regularly weigh myself to see how I'm doing. I get weighed periodically at my doctor's office (once every three/four months) and I do take measurements whenever I remember to (monthly/bi-monthly).

Edit: Buying a scale is not an option at the moment, and I don't have the option of weighing myself more regularly. Just looking for other ways to measure my weight loss without one.

Replies

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Do you workout? My gym has a scale.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have scales. A lot of GNC-type stores have scales.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How clothes fit and progress photos are also options. I'm sure there must be somewhere you can get a cheap set of scales, though.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bathtub, water displacement haha
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I rely purely on fit of clothes and progress photos, and it's working very well :)

I don't want feelings to affect my progress, which I know it would if I have to deal with smaller-than-expected or no weight loss per week.

I do think a scale is vital to maintaining weight, however
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @sscarmack & @DeguelloTex & @DemoraFairy I can't afford to go to the gym at the moment or buy a scale. Unfortunately, as a Canadian with high taxes, I need to spend a fair bit on a scale that can read over 300+lbs.
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @preeJAY Thanks! Where I'm at now, it's easy enough to be able to lose the weight and I'm no where near maintaining. Clothing fit is probably a good indicator!
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Would any of your chemists have one? Some of the bigger branches here have a public scale, some also measure height, bmi & body fat. Could you ask your doc if you could use the scales once a month, just for your own knowledge? He wouldn't have to be in the room.
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @rugratz2015 The pharmacists don't unfortunately, only blood pressure checks. My doctors office is incredibly busy and requires a book in to get in.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Take measurements of your waist, hips, chest, neck and wherever else, that should give an indication of your weightloss and measuring tapes come pretty cheap if you don't already own one
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @Duchy82 Already doing it! :smile: Definitely works pretty well.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Most doctors offices have walk in "nurse visits". At your next appointment, ask if its a possibility. But truly, measurements. Progress pics. Clothing fit. And use it as an excuse to get back in touch with people you haven't seen for awhile. I LOVE the "holy *kitten*!" comments I get when I see someone I haven't seen in awhile. It's a pretty good indicator.
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @ashliefisch Thank you! My office doesn't have that, they are very busy. That's a good idea about seeing people I haven't seen in a while, first I'll need to lose nearly 100lbs before that day though. :lol:
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @sscarmack & @DeguelloTex & @DemoraFairy I can't afford to go to the gym at the moment or buy a scale. Unfortunately, as a Canadian with high taxes, I need to spend a fair bit on a scale that can read over 300+lbs.

I'm not sure what being Canadian with high taxes has to do with having to buy a scale that can read over 300 lbs. If you don't want to use scale weight as your measure, fine. But if you are serious that the cost of a higher capacity scale is the only thing holding you back, Walmart has a 400 lb scale for $19.96 and both of the stores in your profile city have it in stock, or you can get free delivery to a Canada Post outlet.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    scales arent that expensive. forfeit a night of drinking and go get one.

if you insist on not doing that, you can do photos, measurements, and how your clothes fit (which you should do regardless).
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @Abby2205 I guess I should have explained that better. I'm low income. I live pay-check to pay-check and until I get some extra money coming in I cannot afford a scale that fits my needs (weighs up to a certain point, is of decent quality, etc.). Yes, even $20 is too much. I mention the Canadian bit because some people will link me to American sites and the Canadian dollar is weak. I mention high taxes in my province because it would also effect the cost. Thank you.

@callsitlikeiseeit I live pay-check to pay-check. I don't drink. Thank you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    @Abby2205 I guess I should have explained that better. I'm low income. I live pay-check to pay-check and until I get some extra money coming in I cannot afford a scale that fits my needs (weighs up to a certain point, is of decent quality, etc.). Yes, even $20 is too much. I mention the Canadian bit because some people will link me to American sites and the Canadian dollar is weak. I mention high taxes in my province because it would also effect the cost. Thank you.

@callsitlikeiseeit I live pay-check to pay-check. I don't drink. Thank you.

You're making excuses. You've been given alternatives. If it is important to you, you will find a way to get one, OR work with the (FREE) alternatives.
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit And I use the free alternatives. My doctor's office is very busy so I get in when I can which is every 3-4 months. I measure myself monthly/bimonthly. None of the pharmacies have a weigh in sort of program (I phoned). I cannot afford the scale due to my income at the moment (though I would like to buy one when a GST check comes in). These are not excuses, these are facts. I can't make money appear out of thin air.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit And I use the free alternatives. My doctor's office is very busy so I get in when I can which is every 3-4 months. I measure myself monthly/bimonthly. None of the pharmacies have a weigh in sort of program (I phoned). I cannot afford the scale due to my income at the moment (though I would like to buy one when a GST check comes in). These are not excuses, these are facts. I can't make money appear out of thin air.

Nor can we make more alternatives appear from out of thin air.

Perhaps a friend has one you can use.
  • BadgerFaced
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit Thanks! I'm asking some friends right now. :smile: