Soupy or lumpy? Oatmeal preference

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
I like mine lumpy. Don't like oatmeal that I can't "chew" a little bit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    When I ate oatmeal, I wanted a paste. If it didn't stick to the spoon when I waved it around, it was too runny.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Lumpy. Though when I'm going to be adding protein powder and/or PB2, I cook it soupy so it doesn't turn into a brick.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I like soupy.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I dunno about lumpy, but I like it thick.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like mine smooth without lumps but has to be thick and not runny.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    I like mine smooth without lumps but has to be thick and not runny.

This, but if its too smooth or liquidy then I dont feel im getting enough oatmeal. Milk not water.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I like it smooth, no lumps, not runny, but just enough almond milk.
  • lulucitron
    Options
    If you soak your oats overnight (large flake oats) in water, drain in the morning and add water again and cook then it is smoother. I soak all my oats, nuts and beans overnight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it lumpy but I like mine dry-ish. Baked is good but if I make regular oatmeal I always put in less liquid than the instructions suggest.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I like mine thick. I always use steel cut so I get nice chewy oatmeal.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    http://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/how-to-make-the-best-oatmeal-overnight-oats

Soaked Oats

Giving oats an overnight soak in the refrigerator allows them to soften into a muesli-like consistency that's ready to go with your yogurt the next morning or to blend straight into a smoothie. Use a one-to-one ratio of water to oats, experiment with sweeter liquids like apple juice or squeeze in lemon or apple cider vinegar for additional brightness.

For added texture, throw in some chia seeds with your oats while they soak. Other nuts and seeds like pepitas, flax seeds and raw almonds are welcome to join, too, making for a more interesting breakfast bowl with a variety of textures and flavors. Soaked oats will keep up to five days, so make a big batch to have on hand all week.

Fermented Oats

Try fermenting oats, a simple process that produces a unique flavor and allows you to keep oats for longer.

Soak the oats overnight in a cup of water with two tablespoons of yogurt or whey in a cheesecloth-sealed container at room temperature. Fermented oats can keep up to a week, and their tangy flavor will deepen the longer they're left at room temperature.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    only like one type of oatmeal, homemade butterscotch oatmeal on the creamy side (neither soupy or lumpy)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont eat a bunch of oatmeal, but when i do, somewhere between the two LOL
  • lulucitron
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    http://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/how-to-make-the-best-oatmeal-overnight-oats

Soaked Oats

Giving oats an overnight soak in the refrigerator allows them to soften into a muesli-like consistency that's ready to go with your yogurt the next morning or to blend straight into a smoothie. Use a one-to-one ratio of water to oats, experiment with sweeter liquids like apple juice or squeeze in lemon or apple cider vinegar for additional brightness.

For added texture, throw in some chia seeds with your oats while they soak. Other nuts and seeds like pepitas, flax seeds and raw almonds are welcome to join, too, making for a more interesting breakfast bowl with a variety of textures and flavors. Soaked oats will keep up to five days, so make a big batch to have on hand all week.

Fermented Oats

Try fermenting oats, a simple process that produces a unique flavor and allows you to keep oats for longer.

Soak the oats overnight in a cup of water with two tablespoons of yogurt or whey in a cheesecloth-sealed container at room temperature. Fermented oats can keep up to a week, and their tangy flavor will deepen the longer they're left at room temperature.

It makes all the difference!!
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    When I ate oatmeal, I wanted a paste. If it didn't stick to the spoon when I waved it around, it was too runny.

Same, so I guess lumpy smooth? I like mines a thick paste when I used to eat oatmeal. Runny oatmeal is disgusting to me.

• jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    Thick and sticky!
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Thick, creamy and chewy. Basically, I should be able to eat it with a fork.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    jsummd wrote: »
    Thick and sticky!
    me too
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like mine pretty dry, like in a cookie or pancake or just mixed with a little peanut butter (no liquid).