Gained 3 pounds but losing inches??

Options
is it true that if your muscles r sore, they hold water which makes u gain weight? I workout everyday and log everything I eat and it's just upsetting to see the scale go up. Will it ever go down?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true. A new exercise regime will make you retain water weight. Other thing such as eating salty foods and time of the month can also make you temporarily gain water weight, and things such as more food in your digestive system than normal (if you had a large amount to eat the day before) can also make the scale higher. And sometimes we just fluctuate for no apparent reason.

If you've gained 3lbs in a short amount of time it's likely water weight and will be gone soon.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to lose inches or weight?

Muscle weighs more than fat.

While you may be losing inches, you can actually be gaining weight (muscle), and the scale will never go back down.

I've gained 15 lbs this year, and my waist dropped an inch.
  • Okie_Gal
    Okie_Gal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I dropped 10 pounds but then gained back 3 and it's just discouraging because I work so hard at it everyday.
  • Okie_Gal
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »
    Is your goal to lose inches or weight?

While you may be losing inches, you can actually be gaining weight (muscle), and the scale will never go back down.

I've gained 15 lbs this year, and my waist dropped an inch.

I want to lose both, inches and weight. I need to lose like 40 pounds and being at this standstill is depressing.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thats honestly why going by what the scale is such a bad idea. The scale can "lie" to you.

Your body is going to hold so much water.......I think I heard somewhere that the typical body can hold up to 13lbs of water. I've never really looked into it, so I don't know how true it is.

But there are days I'll wake up and weigh myself and I've either gained or lost 2lbs. OVERNIGHT!

Go by how your pants are fitting and how you feel. And maybe only weigh yourself once a week.
  • Okie_Gal
    Options
    Thats honestly why going by what the scale is such a bad idea. The scale can "lie" to you.

Your body is going to hold so much water.......I think I heard somewhere that the typical body can hold up to 13lbs of water. I've never really looked into it, so I don't know how true it is.

But there are days I'll wake up and weigh myself and I've either gained or lost 2lbs. OVERNIGHT!

Go by how your pants are fitting and how you feel. And maybe only weigh yourself once a week.

I weigh once a week. I just finished my fourth week of T25 workout and I run on treadmill an hour everyday except weekends and my body is really sore right now. That's why I was wondering if the reason why I gained is because all my muscles r sore and they're holding water. Thx again for ur help!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It most certainly does not.

Muscle is denser than fat so a pound of muscle will take up less space than a pound of fat, just like a pound of lead takes up less space than a pound of feathers, even though they both weigh a pound.

• preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Muscles don't weigh more than fat, but at the same weight, having more muscle mass can make for a SMALLER, TIGHTER version of you. Water fluctuation can account for up to 5 lbs.

Eat at a deficit, keeping working out, and be patient. If the weight gain stays for longer than 2 or 3 week, re-examine whether you are eating more than you think, or burning less calories than you think.