How do you feel about supplements?

Options
Hey Yall. Have you heard of It Works? Have you tried it or do you want to try their products? If you have tried it, did you get results?.. if you have heard of it but haven't tried it yet what are you waiting for? Pros, and cons please. No bashing anyone some people like an extra umph to get their weight loss kick started.

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Depends on the supplements. There are some people that have vitamin deficiencies where they need to take supplements, and that's different. I have to take B12 shots myself because I can't seem to absorb it through my digestive system. You do want to be careful getting over the counter ones though because they're not regulated by the FDA. They're probably safe to take, but they may not have in them what they say they do.

If you're talking supplements for weight loss, you can save your money and skip them. They're snake oil. They are designed solely to make money from people that want a quick fix. If you FEEL like they're helping, as long as they don't have anything harmful in them, it's your money and you can spend it how you like. But they don't actually kick-start anything.

And please PLEASE don't go the detox/cleanse route! Those are useless and some are dangerous to your health.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you aren't getting something in your diet that you need, a targeted supplement or multivitamin can be great. Personally, I wouldn't put the ItWorks products into that category, though. Do they really market themselves that way now?
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "It Works!" is short for "It Works getting you to send us money!". As @dubird said, snake oil. Avoid at all cost and just eat sensibly! Any change a user notices is either placebo effect or that they have adopted a healthier regimen.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    It's 100% a scam.

The OP of this thread reads suspiciously like the OP is trying to sell this rip-off garbage.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it, but it seriously sounds like a giant scam, so I'm not having anything to do with it.

With the possible exception of a gym membership, I cannot think of a single thing that anyone would pay for that would help them lose weight. Even the gym isn't necessary, but I wouldn't call it a scam.

People spend billions of dollars on stuff they don't need, though. I've purchased many things I do not need. I collect something nobody with any sense (including me) would say is a good idea...but I like it. If you like it, have fun with it! :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It Works sounds like a scam to me. I avoid those.

I have nothing against good old fashioned vitamins and minerals, though.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It Works sounds like a scam to me. I avoid those.

I have nothing against good old fashioned vitamins and minerals, though.

I don't think good old fashioned vitamins and minerals are harmful, but I do think that unless you have a deficiency that they often just make you have expensive urine. Don't get me wrong, I take a multivitamin...to make sure my bases are covered, but I stopped taking the tray of vitamins and supplements a few years ago.

You should see my pill container! But to be fair, with the exception of my multivitamin, my vitamin/mineral supplements are prescribed by my neuro. Some research has been done showing positive effects for migraineurs with a certain vitamin cocktail. So, supplement city for me!

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It Works....well...it does work, it works if you mean takes money out of your wallet.

It's a scam. Save your money.

This.

I've tried probably 90% of supplements that have claimed to help with fast weight loss. Did I lose weight whilst taking them? No. Did I spend a lot of money on them? Far, far too much.

I have lost 30 lbs by sticking to a sensible calorie deficit - that is all. No supplements, pills or quick fixes. Just a good old calorie deficit and a few exercise sessions a week. Please save your pennies for yummy healthy food instead!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    It's 100% a scam.

The OP of this thread reads suspiciously like the OP is trying to sell this rip-off garbage.

This sums up what I was thinking.

I shall shamelessly link to this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10202381/weight-loss-scams-and-how-to-spot-them
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hey Yall. Have you heard of It Works? Have you tried it or do you want to try their products? If you have tried it, did you get results?.. if you have heard of it but haven't tried it yet what are you waiting for? Pros, and cons please. No bashing anyone some people like an extra umph to get their weight loss kick started.

You already get an extra oomph to get your weight loss started. It's called "water weight" and it's a massive loss in the first week or so.

Beyond that, it's "Calories In < Calories Out" all the way.
  • kristymcniel1
    kristymcniel1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Alrighttttt well I think that sums up my thoughts about trying it!! Thanks