how to shop when you're broke and have a family

Options

Replies

• Tminus70
    Tminus70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    check out www.imthatlady.com - she has a pretty amazing site - 20 meals for $150.00 - 10 meals that repeat twice a month. Not to bad.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    We leave the house at 7am and the earliest anyone was getting home from school was 3:30pm which is still 8 hours and I was leery about letting food go that long in the crock. Now the kids stay after for homework help or band/football practice so we all get home at the same time usually bc I go get them. I am going to get a christmas light timer like an earlier poster suggested.

I use my crock pot ALL the time (especially in the winter. I turn it on when I leave for work at 8am, and turn it off when I get home at 6pm (or sometimes as late as 7pm). ALL of the recipes I make call for cooking for 8-10 hours on low, but the odd time it might go 11 hours, the food has been fine (I'd actually be more worried about turning the crockpot off and having it just sitting there cooling down). I never make anything that requires a "mid" step though unless it's a weekend and I'm home (ie cook for 6 hours on low, add X and then cook another hour on high).

Another option would be to invest in a programmable crockpot. You tell it how long to cook on which setting, and when it's done, it automatically turns it down to "keep warm". Mine isn't that fancy, but my sister has one and loves it. :)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I can add much to the incredible advice you've been given. Planning meals, buying on sale, using your freezer and your crockpot, all lifesavers for the mom with a limited budget! The only thing I can think of, is make sure you haven't missed any discount bread stores or scratch and dent stores in your area. Also, I know someone suggested wic, they have pretty generous income requirements, much higher then other forms of assistance. If your school district offers free/reduced lunches, take advantage. My five qualify for free lunch and breakfast and it's makes stretching our food budget so much easier.

You're doing great! It will get easier as you get better at it.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    1. Try to use coupons when you can. Not for things you don't normally buy but for the items you usually get. Check out Krazy Coupon Lady.com. They have printable so and also point you to good bargains.
    2. Dry beans and rice make a great meal and together offer a complete protein. Use spices and ham flavor packets. I put in onion, celery and carrots to boost the veggies.
    3. Always read the circular and stock up on staples when they are on sale. I keep a large pantry of items, cereal, kidney beans, pasta. All purchased on sale and with a coupon.
    4. Learn how to cook and preserve food if you can.
    5. I always look for meat on sale. I hardly ever buy meat for full price.

I grew up with a single moms a poor household. I still shop today like I learned from my mom. I think the best thing you can do is buy food when it is cheap and store it.

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have not used coupons. I don't know how people get into that, haha. When I see coupons they are usually for items that we don't use or eat so I never look for coupons. I will check into that. I do buy a lot of store brands.

Cereal is an item that you can often find coupons for. I never buy it for full price.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi's nearby? I think that is about the cheapest you can get
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is coming up, buy a huge turkey cheap, cook and freeze for meals. You can do the same with ham when they are on sale for Christmas, use the bone for split pea soup, which is also really inexpensive to make. I bulk buy meat during the holidays when they are buy one, get one free.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Aldi is wonderful. And coupons are not what they used to be. I was one of the coupon crazies for 4 years. I had a dang store in my basement, but once the show came out, the stores started clamping down. Most of them quit doubling q's, which was a staple for a coupon crazy. It's just not worth the 10 hours (or more) per week that you are going to invest. I haven't touched a coupon in 2 years and I still have a lifetime supply of shampoo and conditioner in my basement.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I won't have any advice to offer that isn't already been given . But hugs mama. I'm making it work with my son and myself on 14k last year, and hopefully will net almost 20k this year. Child support is basically non existent here too. I know the struggle.
    I make my own bread, and try to coupon - some of the coupon apps even have incentives for things like milk , bananas and other fresh stuff now!
  • ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I hope that this thread will be helpful to others. There has been so much information given here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love threads like this and I agree. I hope many readers take away ideas.
  • CharleneMarie_723
    Options
    I know you said you don't have bulk stores like Sams or BJs in your area, but I shop a lot on Walmart.com. I live in NYC and the grocery stores here are expensive and small. I just bought 60 packages of instant oatmeal for like $7. Granted they are not the High-Fiber ones I would like, but it's what I can afford now. I also eat Ramens a lot. 36 packages for $6 or $7. Not super healthy, but it fills the belly. PB and J is great especially if you can find bread on sale. I buy when it is and freeze it and thaw out a few slices in the fridge. I know you are doing the best you can and for that I give you props. :)
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    My 3yo is not my biological child.

I'm from N.Z and that is a common practice called 'whangae' which basically means to foster (a child) without the paperwork. Good on you for giving a child a loving and stable home full stop, end of conversation.
    I just wanted to mention that, because it is commendable.... as is your desire to feed your family well. You have been given a wealth of some fabulous and practical information. The only thing I can think of to contribute is I hunt for bargains first and then I set the menu (I had to feed 2 adults, 2 teens on $12 a week for 2yrs). Its a good thing I love offal!
    I done freezer meals on w/ends - brekky muffins, vege slice, soups, stews etc.
    I was raised learning to ration, and groceries were gotten once a month. It was actually fun trying to scratch a meal up with 'nothin in the cupboard'. So having that knowledge sure came in handy, and I thanked my parents for those tools because I honestly don't believe I or my family would have survived those long, rough days without those skills.
    I spoke to the kids about it a few years later, and they said Ohh. Were we broke? We thought you were on a diet and so we weren't allowed to have takeaway's!
    Oh man, as a not biological parent, I say I done my job well phewwww.... As you are too!
  • kimd2090
    kimd2090 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I support a family through my local church. I'm on my 20th family now. The church provides me with a list of items and I buy them and take them to the church. Maybe check with your local salvation army, as they help many low income families.
  • sarak531
    sarak531 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think there is one in the area, maybe. I am really looking for advice on how to shop, what things to buy to make the most of what money I have to spend.

You can make a lot of different meals with rice, tomatoes and beans. Soup is also something that I make often because it is cheap.

Cheap meat is turkey and ham after the holidays.

I made a large batch of beans soup in my crock pot one day. I mixed Dried Black beans, and pinto beans and soaked for 24 hours. Drained them and rinsed. Then put them in the crock pot with a large onion, 1/2 bulb of garlic because we love garlic, and 3 Tbls of cumin because we love cumin also.I had a leftover meaty ham bone in the freezer that I threw in as well. Cover with water and Turn on low 12hrs. Salt to taste as desired after finished.

That day we ate it as soup with broccoli on the side.

Next day rinsed some of the beans and put in a pan with cooked brown rice, tomatoes, peppers,and some taco seasoning. Kids topped it with sour cream, but I didn't think that was necessary.

The rest of the beans I put in plastic bags and stored in freezer. I have eaten it as soup many times, but can make more Mexican foods with them.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Great job on all of your hard work!! One thing my husband and I do is keep a running ziplock in the freezer for veggie scraps to make stock out of. Trimming the tops of celery? Throw it in the bag. Have some husks from onion peels? In the bag it goes, carrot peels (washed) into the bag! You'd be amazed at how quickly the bag fills up if you are diligent about not throwing away any veggie scraps. We do, however, have a separate bag for the stinky veggies like cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus - they make a good soup base on their own, but have a strong flavour for basic stocks.
  • jazzlyn08
    jazzlyn08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can look on your smart phone or computer at Meyer's geyers krogers ads and walmart will price match it that's what i do! Just write the sales on paper and they will have a ad by them. I get great deals.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can use rice and beans to stretch meat or even as meals themselves. Learn when your local store marks down meat and buy it that way. I can get a 10# bag of potatoes for $2 and make many creative meals out of them. If you have a Farmers Market close go at the end of the day and you can usually get some really good deals. Eggs can sometimes be bought cheaper from a local seller than a grocery store and they usually taste better. Watch the sales and stock up on your most used items when they are discounted. I have found corn tortillas to be cheaper also and you can use those to make your own chips or even as wraps.