Satiating food -- What keeps you feeling full?

Options
13»

Replies

• yummypotroast
    yummypotroast Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Carbs are what fill me up the most. Despite protein being often touted as the most filling macro, I find that I cannot eat a lot without feeling both heavy and wanting more food (namely carbs lol). A small serving of pumpkin soup, brown rice, or even French fries leave me feeling super happy and satisfied. Back when I lived in Canada and didn't know much about nutrition, I would drink a bubble tea with tapioca pearls and consider that a meal! Nowadays I cook at home more and eat plenty of veggies, but I always need a serving or two of starches to make myself feel like I've eaten something substantial.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    nothing at all

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    I find expanding polyurethane foam really satiating.
    Yum???? :#

It's a one time experience. :smiley:
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For size, meat is the most satiating. A fatty cut. I can eat a 3oz steak and feel quick full. A 3 oz potato? Meh.

Veggies don't fill me up. I tend to stop eating them, not because I am full, but because I don't want anymore. The only times I get full on veggies is if they have a fat on them like butter or cheese.

Same goes for fruit.

A big coffee with coconut oil, some whipping cream, and a half serving of protein powder, whipped into a froth, is probably second for me. Yum.

I also find meat to be filling. But I just have to point out that comparisons are typically done calorie for calorie, not ounce for ounce. A 3 oz steak has more than double the calories of a 3 oz potato.

And I often need a fat on vegetables to feel full too. Otherwise I get that volume feeling without the "weight" my stomach wants.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Veggies don't fill me up. I tend to stop eating them, not because I am full, but because I don't want anymore. The only times I get full on veggies is if they have a fat on them like butter or cheese.
    And I often need a fat on vegetables to feel full too. Otherwise I get that volume feeling without the "weight" my stomach wants.

Makes sense, doesn't it. How else are we supposed to absorb the fat soluble nutrients in vegetables.
  • flotsette
    flotsette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    flotsette wrote: »
    I find that I need to eat a balance of a lot of protein, fat, and fiber. But what's surprised me is that if I eat no carbs, or too few, I get hungry VERY suddenly and sooner. If I shoot for about 20 net carbs from fruit or starch at a meal as well, my satiety ramps down more slowly and lasts longer. This gives me time to notice I'm hungry and start planning to eat something, rather than suddenly finding myself going from fine to ravenous.

This. Me too. I starve without my carbs, so I tend to have even half a sweet potato between lunch and dinner, makes all the difference, and I don't go into crazy, hangry mode...Took years to figure it out...

It's not just me, then! It also took me a while to figure it out, and tracking with MFP really helped.

>>Makes sense, doesn't it. How else are we supposed to absorb the fat soluble nutrients in vegetables.<<

Yes, I completely agree. I always put some fat on my veggies. We increase absorption of some of the vitamins in the veggies by 15x that way! And it does increase satiety, although it can get caloric, so I try to be moderate.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Fat keeps you full and as an added bonus, it is delicious!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    1) Protein
    2) Fat
    the combination of protein AND fat seems to work best of all...almonds, meat, cheese, full fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, peanut butter...these are my go to foods to control appetite

Liquid anything rarely satisfied me...that's why I only have smoothies every once in a great while for variety. It's just not filling for very long, even with 25 or 30 grams of protein powder and some veggies blended in.

Highly processed carbs (bread, pasta, sweets) never keep me full for long... they can be very filling when I first eat them, but then an hour or two later I am starving again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Steak (particularly strip or sirloin) and baked potato are two that work for me. Actually, leaner cuts tend to fill me up the most compared to equivalent portions of fattier cuts.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of fiber & protein can generally keep me feeling full for a little bit.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Cold Steel cut oats, with raisins. Yum.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    A veggie with lunch and dinner, fruit at breakfast or snack. When I lost 45 pounds 10 years ago, I had a HUGE salad with my frozen meals (lunch and dinner). I don't each much frozen meals anymore because of the sodium, but veggies are key.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat works well for me most of the time. Whether it's a piece of chicken with the skin on, an avocado with light s&p, or a sweet potato with generous butter.

Higher carbohydrate snacks and sugary snacks, even fruit, just does not seem to stick with me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Lentils
    Brown rice
    A couple slices of toast with cheese