Binge Eating

Options
I just want to know if staying on a strict diet has worked for some people without going on a crazy binge. Some people say to eat what you are craving just a very small portion. That's where I have trouble. I will eat something I crave then I can't stop going back to it.

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I find the easiest way is to eat smaller amounts of what I want daily, don't restrict yourself to the point where you want to binge. Just fit it into your daily calorie goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. If you don't over restrict yourself, make room for a treat in your allotment, there will be no need to binge.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Depends if you are talking about having a binge, or a diagnosed binge eating disorder.

I schedule a larger eating day and keep it within my maintenance about once a week so that I don't binge (BED for 18 years).

MFP has helped me to overcome BED with the help of a good doctor. I don't restrict myself too heavily and make sure I move a lot so that I can eat more.
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just want to know if staying on a strict diet has worked for some people without going on a crazy binge. Some people say to eat what you are craving just a very small portion. That's where I have trouble. I will eat something I crave then I can't stop going back to it.

I have trigger foods. I have to avoid them at all costs. Otherwise...... Dun dun dun, I will binge like a rabid tiger that hasn't eatin in weeks. I've found if I can manage to avoid sugary processed foods long enough I don't even desire them, but if I happen to be out and about and eat something crappy the want is right back. Moderation with bad things don't work for me at all.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You do you. If there is something that *you* can't control yourself with, then don't bring it in your house. Doesn't make it a bad food, it just means that you need to work on your self control.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating my entire life. I've noticed a vast improvement in the last few months. I really feel like this can be attributed to three things:

1. Regular exercise. It helps to ward off my bouts of depression, which in turn decreases my desire to binge.
    2. I finally expunged the term 'diet' from my life. I changed my focus from doing everything I can to lose weight to making healthier choices when it comes to food and movement and living my healthiest life each day.
    3. As already mentioned, I have a few trigger foods that just cannot be a part of my life. I am unable to have just a little bit. Period. So I have none.
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have trigger foods. I have to avoid them at all costs. Otherwise...... Dun dun dun, I will binge like a rabid tiger that hasn't eatin in weeks. I've found if I can manage to avoid sugary processed foods long enough I don't even desire them, but if I happen to be out and about and eat something crappy the want is right back. Moderation with bad things don't work for me at all.

I am the same. Certain foods I will binge on. I have been known to eat over 2 quarts of ice-cream a packet of biscuits and 1000cals of salami in one sitting (many times over). It's unhealthy both mentally and physically (yes I have a psychiatrist). If these foods, and various others, are not in my house (and I avoid them outside the house) I have no issues with binge eating at all. I have other foods, that I enjoy equally immensely, that for some reason I can eat without falling into a binge. So those are what I keep in the house. In my case, going cold turkey was the only way that worked. But it did in fact work.

Keep looking for foods you enjoy just as much that don't send you into a frenzy. Keep only those in your house. They exist, just keep looking!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've been on many strict 'diets' - all of which resulted in hefty outrageous binges.

A sensible calorie deficit is the only thing that I have been able to stick to consistently (almost 5 months now - no binge in sight) because I'm not depriving myself of anything and I'm not feeling that awful desperation "FEED ME" feeling 24/7. Strict diets OF COURSE will cause weight loss - but with it, a lot of stress, misery, binge periods and fatigue. Not worth it. :) Do it the MFP way!
  • pegastarlight
    pegastarlight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It depends what you mean by strict. If you're completely giving up entire food groups to lose weight, that's generally going to just result in binging. One thing I do to help with cravings, though, to naturally reduce my desire for unhealthy foods is to follow a food craving chart such as this one. Heck, it even helped me greatly cut how much alcohol I drink.
  • qubetha
    Options
    I've been on many strict 'diets' - all of which resulted in hefty outrageous binges.

A sensible calorie deficit is the only thing that I have been able to stick to consistently (almost 5 months now - no binge in sight) because I'm not depriving myself of anything and I'm not feeling that awful desperation "FEED ME" feeling 24/7. Strict diets OF COURSE will cause weight loss - but with it, a lot of stress, misery, binge periods and fatigue. Not worth it. :) Do it the MFP way!

I have certain "no-go" foods that I can't keep in the house but my diet is not what you would call "strict" at all. I think you are making a bit of a false assumption.

Apart from about 5 or 6 very specific food items, I can eat whatever I want. And I do. I don't limit carbs or fats or proteins individually and if I want to have an entire day where I eat nothing but vanilla yoghurt (ridiculous as that may be) I will.

A diet where "no icecream" is the only limitation is not by any means strict and if leaving out only icecream leaves your brain screaming "FEED ME" 24/7 then that is actually a serious problem that a person should seek help for.

I was talking about restricting individual foods, not entire groups or macros. In addition to this, I was also not recommending deprivation at all. I actually recommended substitution. I sincerely believe that no matter how tempting a particular food is, there is something else out there that satiates your needs without leading to a binge. You just have to find it.

Not simply cut yourself off and suffer.

You misunderstood my intent completely.
  • qubetha
    edited September 2015
    Options
    For some people, the act of avoiding a food entirely is actually less difficult than attempting to eat it in moderation. My own personal theory on this is that they are actually craving the quantity of a certain food rather than the food itself. Reduce the quantitiy to something reasonable and that food item becomes 100% unsatisfying and doesn't kill the craving one bit.

That's why I think moderation doesn't work for some people and very specific food items.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I would be miserable on a strict diet. I set my goals to lose 1 # per week and that is what I average. Mostly, I eat the same foods only less of things like pasta and rice.

Here's how I got my cravings under control:

- Eating less foods like brownies and ice cream, and when I do have them, do so at the end of the day (and I buy the mini-cups of ice cream)
    - Eating more protein, fiber, veggies, and fruit
    - Taking a magnesium supplement
    - Exercising
    - Drinking plenty of water

Now, there are some foods like M&Ms and pints of Ben & Jerry's S'Mores that I make no attempt to moderate and just do not have in the house.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »

I have certain "no-go" foods that I can't keep in the house but my diet is not what you would call "strict" at all. I think you are making a bit of a false assumption.

Apart from about 5 or 6 very specific food items, I can eat whatever I want. And I do. I don't limit carbs or fats or proteins individually and if I want to have an entire day where I eat nothing but vanilla yoghurt (ridiculous as that may be) I will.

A diet where "no icecream" is the only limitation is not by any means strict and if leaving out only icecream leaves your brain screaming "FEED ME" 24/7 then that is actually a serious problem that a person should seek help for.

I was talking about restricting individual foods, not entire groups or macros. In addition to this, I was also not recommending deprivation at all. I actually recommended substitution. I sincerely believe that no matter how tempting a particular food is, there is something else out there that satiates your needs without leading to a binge. You just have to find it.

Sorry, was this aimed at me? I'm confused!
  • RubyBro
    RubyBro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For some people, the act of avoiding a food entirely is actually less difficult than attempting to eat it in moderation. My own personal theory on this is that they are actually craving the quantity of a certain food rather than the food itself. Reduce the quantity to something reasonable and that food item becomes 100% unsatisfying and doesn't kill the craving one bit.

That's why I think moderation doesn't work for some people and very specific food items.

I'm so glad to hear that this is not just me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me that was true. I had a problem with carbs in general and sugars in particular (pop, sweets, cookies, sweet baked goods). I could never have just 1. A cookie would turn into 10, or the family sized bag of chocolates was eaten by me in two days. I failed miserabley at moderating sweet foods. I doubt it was a BED, but it was a problem.

I have been gluten free for many years so I KNOW that eliminating foods does not always lead to binging. Otherwise I would have slipped at least once, right? My son with the tree nut allergy may have binged on cashews, or my close muslim friends may have binged on pork.

I cut most carbs from my diet except those found in nuts, eggs, cream, coconut, and low GI veggies. I eat very LCHF and am in ketosis, and have been for about 3 months. I feel really good not eating my problem foods. Better than I have in years. It helped health issues, cleared up my skin, upped my energy (no more ups and downs), and increased my mental clarity, which I find a little alarming. LOL I've also lost over 30lbs since mid late June so I am at a normal BMI, and still losing.

The longer I go without sweets the less I want them, and to be honest, the more nervous I get about ever eating them again. One used to usually lead to many and I felt poorly. Having a cupcake or M&M is no longer worth the possible effects on my health. One may lead to more so I'll treat it like an addiction for now and avoid sugars as completely as I can.... which feels quite effortless at this point.

Yes, I'd love a bowl of ice cream but I'm realistic about what it could do to me.
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    RubyBro wrote: »
    For some people, the act of avoiding a food entirely is actually less difficult than attempting to eat it in moderation. My own personal theory on this is that they are actually craving the quantity of a certain food rather than the food itself. Reduce the quantity to something reasonable and that food item becomes 100% unsatisfying and doesn't kill the craving one bit.

I second this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

You have power over food, it does not have power over you. :)

Strict dieting is what often causes people to go overboard when they're craving and have some of the "forbidden" food.

My advice is to chuck any strict dieting and eat all your foods in moderation, unless you need to temporarily eliminate something until you learn moderation.

Moderation, for me, is accomplished through opening package, weighing out portion in grams (sometimes more or less than on the package, but I make sure I'm accurate), closing package, putting away, and 100% enjoying said food. After this, I go do something else. You need to find your own ways to moderate your intake.

You can do this. :)
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options

I don't see any misunderstanding of what you said, especially since the OP asked about strict dieting. It seems to me Pink was replying to the OP, not to you specifically. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    RubyBro wrote: »

I second this.

I'll third this. For years I binged. While I still eat too much at times, I don't find myself uncontrollably bingeing anymore. It's taken a lot of hard work, though, and changing my relationship with food.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to avoid over eating when I only buy one portion of whatever it is that I crave. Its not worth the time or gas to drive back to the store again. Eventually it gets easier. Most days I have pretty good discipline and can keep lots of foods that I would have over eaten in the past.