HELP- I need a simple accurate scale- my expensive digital scale can't make up it's mind.

Options
Does anyone have a scale they like? I have the EatSmart scale and it gives me different readings within seconds of weighing. Today I got on and I had a 3 lb gain, then I stepped back on to be sure and I have a 4 lb loss. Thats a difference of 7 lbs!!!!. I'm thinking that the digital scale thing isn't working for me. I miss the old needle scale I had growing up. Even if it weighs me a little lite or heavy, i just want one that is consistent so I can see when I am losing or gaining. Anyone else have these problems with digital?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WW scale here, works great.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I was about to suggest an Eat Smart scale because mine is amazing! Sorry I can't be of more help!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a Salter that is accurate as my doctors digital scale. It is the old school dial type but, the numbers are big so my old eyes can see them.
  • tiatiamaria
    tiatiamaria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thats what I need!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Even with a consistent scale you'll be frustrated by water weight.

In digital scales, I've found Tanita makes pretty good ones. I personally use a withings scale, because I really want the integration with third-party charting to get accurate weight charts like this one:

4w.png

The trend really helps me see my progress, because the raw weights don't look like they're going down for a week at a time.

Osric
  • tiatiamaria
    tiatiamaria Posts: 40 Member
    Options

In digital scales, I've found Tanita makes pretty good ones. I personally use a withings scale, because I really want the integration with third-party charting to get accurate weight charts like this one:

4w.png

The trend really helps me see my progress, because the raw weights don't look like they're going down for a week at a time.

Osric

It's not a difference of water weight if I am getting three readings (with a 7 pound range) within 30 seconds. I see the appeal of that chart for sure. I'm a WOMAN who weighs myself every day so trust me, I know all about water weight and monthly fluctuations, but I just want to be able to wake up and get one accurate reading of what my weight is that morning. Even if it doesn't match the doctors office, I want to be able to compare it to what it was yesterday on the same scale. My EatSmart scale (with 5 stars on amazon) is just not doing that for some reason.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    Is there a battery that can be changed?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a scale they like? I have the EatSmart scale and it gives me different readings within seconds of weighing. Today I got on and I had a 3 lb gain, then I stepped back on to be sure and I have a 4 lb loss. Thats a difference of 7 lbs!!!!. I'm thinking that the digital scale thing isn't working for me. I miss the old needle scale I had growing up. Even if it weighs me a little lite or heavy, i just want one that is consistent so I can see when I am losing or gaining. Anyone else have these problems with digital?

Maybe change the batteries.

By the way, any scale will give you different readings if you step on it second to second, or minute to minute, or when you step on it at any time. You will not get consistent readings because weight naturally fluctuates.

• SLLRunner
    Options

4w.png

Osric

I use Trend Weight and love it.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    WW scale here, works great.

I also have a WW scale! Does the job for me :)
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Yes, when my scales went erratic it was because the battery needed changing - simples!

• SLLRunner
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »

Yes, when my scales went erratic it was because the battery needed changing - simples!

I went from 140 to 129 one day.....when I changed the batteries, I went straight back to normal weight range.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with my scale until I moved it. I think the original spot it was in the linoleum was a bit raised and the new spot seems to be flatter and sturdier.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Aria - love it! It is digital and connect to your computer so you don't have to remember the number while you dress, get ready, etc.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you on a hard level floor? Are you standing in the exact same spot? Battery change? And why are you stepping on it multiple times anyway? Just weigh once and go...I think every scale is going to have a spread to some degree across multiple readings.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    Maybe change the batteries.

By the way, any scale will give you different readings if you step on it second to second, or minute to minute, or when you step on it at any time. You will not get consistent readings because weight naturally fluctuates.

[/quote]

there is a difference in readings when weighing at different times, BUT I've not found mine to fluctuate more than a 1/2 pound up to a pound....I've never had it go up 4 pounds in the next minute.

I would definitely try changing the batteries first. Always go for the cheapest, quickest fix first.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love my Healthometer.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options

It's not a difference of water weight if I am getting three readings (with a 7 pound range) within 30 seconds. I see the appeal of that chart for sure. I'm a WOMAN who weighs myself every day so trust me, I know all about water weight and monthly fluctuations, but I just want to be able to wake up and get one accurate reading of what my weight is that morning. Even if it doesn't match the doctors office, I want to be able to compare it to what it was yesterday on the same scale. My EatSmart scale (with 5 stars on amazon) is just not doing that for some reason.

I'm sorry if you think I ignored your question. I was trying to explain why I was recommending a withings scale, and a tanita scale, even though you seem to be seeking a non-digital scale. I feel like you missed the fact that my post was about trying to recommend not one but two scales that might work for you.

I think the Tanita brand scales are more accurate, but no internet integration is a deal-breaker for me. The Withings scale has more variance, but it is sufficient to enable you to effectively track your weight.

As someone else has noted any digital scale will show slightly different readings from time to time. The variance on your scale is for sure either due to it being broken or due to it being low on battery.

Osric
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My scale came with calibration instructions for any time I move it. Is yours sitting permanently on a hard, level surface? If you move yours like I move mine (I store it sideways), set it on a level hard surface, step on it with one foot only, then step off immediately the lights/numbers come on. When everything goes back off, step on and weigh yourself. I get the same number even when stepping on it multiple times, after I do this