Building muscle and gaining strength at home?

Options
I have lost a lot of weight over the past year, but I'm still very weak after abusing my body my entire life, and I'd like to start gaining muscle and strength, and hopefully fill out some of this loose skin. I have dumbbells and resistance bands and would like an at home routine, something I can just follow easily and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to start that has maybe worked for them?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    How heavy do your dumbbells go to?

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 5lbs to 12.5lbs.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Anywhere from 5lbs to 12.5lbs.

12.5lb being the maximum weight?

You're either going to have to buy more equipment or get a gym membership. You'll max out 12.5lb pretty quick.

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have 2.5lb and 5lb plates but that's about all that will fit safely, maybe 3x5lbs at the absolute most.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Yeah, I have 2.5lb and 5lb plates but that's about all that will fit safely, maybe 3x5lbs at the absolute most.

Buy more equipment or get a gym membership. You'll max out 12.5lb real fast.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Buy more equipment or get a gym membership. You'll max out 12.5lb real fast.

This is true.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yes, those weights are too light to do much with them. But you can start with a bodyweight program and go a long way with no weights at all. I'm a fan of buying a book with a bodyweight program, because some of the progressions can be complicated and it's nice to have a reference on hand.

These are the 3 books I've looked at and can recommend:

You Are Your Own Gym (there's also an app for your phone you can get)
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

By the time you get to the end of these programs, you can decide if you want to invest in more equipment, or join a gym. But a beginner could easily go a year or more on just bodyweight progressions.

Good luck!
  • thequarupleb
    thequarupleb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to add that while you might find 12.5 to be too light pretty quickly, don't let that stop you from doing exercises with what you have. Body weight exercises can be very beneficial and adding some weight to them makes it even more so. In the mean time you can use what you have and work on your form until you can buy more or find a good gym. Without knowing more about your height/weight/bf% it is hard to say how far this will take you. That being said, I've seen some really muscular guys who do only body weight, but that takes more creative routines.

It is all too easy to get stuck in the "I'll start when I get better equipment" trap. Unless you can buy or join a gym right now, use what you got until you can.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Do bodyweight exercises if you can't buy or commit to getting heavier weights. It will go a long ways. If you're in the market for heavier weights, I have an ironmaster kettlebell and the plates on it are interchangeable with their dumbbells. I'm a huge fan of that piece of equipment. It lasted me for a long time on my lower body exercises and I still use it all the time for my upper body. If you're in need of an actual routine, try:

Squats
    Overhead press
    Bench press
    Deadlift (you can work on your form with these low weights even though it won't build much muscle)
    Russian twist
    Turkish Get-up or Get up sit up
    Lunges
    Side lunges
    Bridges
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You will need some heavier dumbbells. Either some of the select tech style or just more dumb bells. 12.5 is not much. As for a good program to get stronger check out body beast. It is a good lifting program.
  • LivStrong26
    LivStrong26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try working out with the TRX at home. Endless options and you'll get stronger and healthier by the day!
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Total body strength training with dumbells. You will need to get heavier ones though :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Look for used weight equipment - you can get it cheap if you are a little patient - Craiglist, Pawn shops etc -- Eastcoast Jim
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight over the past year, but I'm still very weak after abusing my body my entire life, and I'd like to start gaining muscle and strength, and hopefully fill out some of this loose skin. I have dumbbells and resistance bands and would like an at home routine, something I can just follow easily and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to start that has maybe worked for them?

I love doing Body Beast in my home gym;)