spinnig for weight loss?

Options
hey guys.I've started spinning for a week now. I take group classes and i love it. there is one thing that i'm concerned about:
I have been on weight loss journey for months now and i was in maintenance mood for a month.i only need to lose 9 more pounds to reach my goal. What kind of workout should i combine with spinning to reach my goal?
I'm 129 pounds and 5'4''. I spin 3 days a week for about 30-40 minutes each session. i have jillian michales' DVDs and been on body revolution but stopped it since it was my exams time and couldn't go for it. I'm really interested in doing at home DVD workouts but i'm not sure how to mix it with my spinning class for the best results. any ideas?:smile:

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I love my spin class! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it too. :flowerforyou:

I would suggest lifting heavy stuff. You might not lose pounds as fast, but it will add a lot of strength and minimize muscle loss as you approach your goal. And while you won't lose pounds as fast, you will still see progress.

Have fun!
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to spin class! I do it about 5 days a week. At first I did spin class without weight lifting for about a year, then I got pregnant with my daughter and did spin throughout my pregnancy, which was great. I started going back when she was about 6 months old in December and then started lifting weights in January. I just get to spin class about 30 minutes early and hit the weights. I focus on my upper body one day and lower body the next and do that about 4 days a week. Since I started lifting weights my weight loss has stalled, so I'm about 7 lbs away from my prebaby weight but I have toned up for sure. Good luck to you, spin is a great calorie burn (I burn between 500-600 cals a session based on my HRM) and it's addictive! :)
  • mariazaragoza690
    mariazaragoza690 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello all :) i just took my first spinning class two days ago and i couldn't walk right after my class and now in so much pain is this normal??
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I spin 5 days a week and lift heavy m,w,f. The lifting has really made a big difference in my body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hello all :) i just took my first spinning class two days ago and i couldn't walk right after my class and now in so much pain is this normal??

@mariazaragoza690 lol yes it is! I had a sore undercarriage after every class for around the first month when I first started spinning. After that, things started to toughen up apparently :tongue: and no more soreness.

It will get better, I promise :smiley:

• mariazaragoza690
    Options
    Good to know :blush: thanks alot
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Cycling (what it should be called) is great for heart health, but be cautious about how long and often you are doing it and how many calories you are consuming (notably protein) vs. how many calories you are burning via spin class. Burn too much, and you lose muscle as well as fat... It can be counterproductive in that regard.

Too much of anything is not good, even when it comes to exercise. Switch things up. Look to weight lifting, resistance training, yoga, etc. Not everything has to be full on cardio.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Cycling (what it should be called) is great for heart health, but be cautious about how long and often you are doing it and how many calories you are consuming (notably protein) vs. how many calories you are burning via spin class. Burn too much, and you lose muscle as well as fat... It can be counterproductive in that regard.

Too much of anything is not good, even when it comes to exercise. Switch things up. Look to weight lifting, resistance training, yoga, etc. Not everything has to be full on cardio.

Oh my.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Burning muscle through cardio is highly unlikely!
    Burning muscle through resistance based cardio is frankly virtually impossible unless someone is starving themselves.

Do agree that resistance/strength/weight training is a great compliment to make an all-round fitness regime.
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are tons of people that stay on the elliptical for 1-2 hours non-stop...burning upwards of 500-1000 calories at a time. That's legit all they do when it comes to exercise. I see it a lot in the gym.

If they are not taking in enough calories, that would put them in a caloric deficit. And if you're in a caloric deficit every week, then you are not only losing fat, but losing muscle as well.
  • mariazaragoza690
    Options
    What if i am eating healthy 3 times a day 3 snacks but im talking about super healthy salads, brown rice , eggs ....ext. Would it be ok to spin twice a week ?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Spinning (like any other physical activity) burns calories. But if you're eating enough calories to maintain weight, then weight loss won't happen no matter how much you spin. It still comes down to CICO even with exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Spinning and Cycling ❤️

Awesome exercise!

I cycle around 120-150 per week. A solid hundred on the weekend and then a few quickies during the week

Keep your protein up

It is easy to incinerate calories on a bike one you get in shape. Tomorrow is a 50 mile ride in the hills and it will be 2500-2800.

If you cycle in some hard resistance you can beef your thighs a little.

Mixing in a little lifting had a great synergistic effect with the long duration cardio of cycling

Find your happy place with it

If you can get outside and join a riding group it is a solid blast! Road trips to go ride cool places and doing a sprint triathlon with your new friends

It is a lifestyle thing if you are looking for that to help stay fit for life
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There are tons of people that stay on the elliptical for 1-2 hours non-stop...burning upwards of 500-1000 calories at a time. That's legit all they do when it comes to exercise. I see it a lot in the gym.

If they are not taking in enough calories, that would put them in a caloric deficit. And if you're in a caloric deficit every week, then you are not only losing fat, but losing muscle as well.

So it's not the cardio burning muscle - it's the prolonged and excessive deficit. Not the same thing at all.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Isn't everyone who is losing weight in a caloric deficit? Isn't that the point?
  • sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

So it's not the cardio burning muscle - it's the prolonged and excessive deficit. Not the same thing at all.

The excess cardio is the catalyst for the extreme deficit which causes the fat (and muscle) loss.

Not saying everyone who does a ton of cardio is losing muscle... Just to be careful about overdoing it to the point of burning several hundred calories (and undereating / not hitting your protein macro at the same time).
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options

The excess cardio is the catalyst for the extreme deficit which causes the fat (and muscle) loss.

Not saying everyone who does a ton of cardio is losing muscle... Just to be careful about overdoing it to the point of burning several hundred calories (and undereating / not hitting your protein macro at the same time).

^^^ Very true

And I ate an 11.5 ounce ribeye before my 50 mile ride today. Followed by 10 wings

There was a muscle milk during the ride.

It takes too long to add muscle. I love riding and today was an awesome ride, but conservation of muscle mass is a definite consideration.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

^^^ Very true

And I ate an 11.5 ounce ribeye before my 50 mile ride today. Followed by 10 wings

There was a muscle milk during the ride.

It takes too long to add muscle. I love riding and today was an awesome ride, but conservation of muscle mass is a definite consideration.

Yep!!