Drinks?!

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    @stevencloser where is your proof to back up your view on what is right or wrong? To say only you know what is true or not is narcissistic at best. Doctors have said they are not healthy for you, yet you're telling people in the community to only believe you. Perhaps their is conflicting information on this topic, and accordingly you cannot say with 100% certainty that you are correct. The users on here will have to choose who they want to believe.
    Do you really want to argue that artificial sweeteners, according to the FDA the most thoroughly studied food additive to exist, are dangerous to you?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
    Here's 29 pages of why they're fine. Have fun reading.

The FDA is federally regulated and usually lags behind in determining and defining what is healthy. Our FDA is pretty lax as compared to other first world countries and accordingly many of those countries choose not to consume some of our food. But this is tangential. I won't debate the FDA with you. There are people that believe eating non organic is ok and those that don't. FDA says there is nothing wrong with the pesticides. Some don't feel that's true. If you shop at WholeFoods and places like that, you typically stay away from diet drinks because you believe them to be not healthy.

It's not the FDA saying it's fine, it's over 3 decades worth of research, more than was put into any other food additive, solely because of fear mongering like yours.

I have been drinking it for 30 years. I am still not sure what is supposed to have happened to me by now. Should I be pickled?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @stevencloser where is your proof to back up your view on what is right or wrong? To say only you know what is true or not is narcissistic at best. Doctors have said they are not healthy for you, yet you're telling people in the community to only believe you. Perhaps their is conflicting information on this topic, and accordingly you cannot say with 100% certainty that you are correct. The users on here will have to choose who they want to believe.
    Do you really want to argue that artificial sweeteners, according to the FDA the most thoroughly studied food additive to exist, are dangerous to you?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

The FDA is federally regulated and usually lags behind in determining and defining what is healthy. Our FDA is pretty lax as compared to other first world countries and accordingly many of those countries choose not to consume some of our food. But this is tangential. I won't debate the FDA with you. There are people that believe eating non organic is ok and those that don't. FDA says there is nothing wrong with the pesticides. Some don't feel that's true. If you shop at WholeFoods and places like that, you typically stay away from diet drinks because you believe them to be not healthy.

It's not the FDA saying it's fine, it's over 3 decades worth of research, more than was put into any other food additive, solely because of fear mongering like yours.

Ok! Whatever you say. People will decide.

Can you show any evidence to back up your point of view?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I have been drinking it for 30 years. I am still not sure what is supposed to have happened to me by now. Should I be pickled?

If you believe some of the fear mongering, you should be obese, have diabetes, a spongy, bleeding brain, destroyed gut flora and no teeth.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Well the most sophisticated and scholarly articles cannot be found online. I'd advise anyone that is wondering what to believe to do their own research and ask some doctors and dietitians. However here are a few online and reputable sources. I have tried to get different sources (docs, respected news,and a fitness mogul).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/03/17/bad-news-diet-soda-drinkers-your-favorite-beverage-may-lead-to-more-belly-fat-as-you-age/

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/myth-diet-soda

http://drhyman.com/about-2/about-dr-mark-hyman/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Well the most sophisticated and scholarly articles cannot be found online. I'd advise anyone that is wondering what to believe to do their own research and ask some doctors and dietitians. However here are a few online and reputable sources. I have tried to get different sources (docs, respected news,and a fitness mogul).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/03/17/bad-news-diet-soda-drinkers-your-favorite-beverage-may-lead-to-more-belly-fat-as-you-age/

Seriously, this is what you came up with. Nope. You are going to have to do better then that.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    t_harp112 wrote: »
    does adding apple cider vinegar to any drink make it better for you? If so, how? What are good drinks for when you want to lose weight but aren't just plain water and don't have a lot of carbs?

Have you tried Redd's Apple Ale? It's purty good :) The apples are fermented.

Solid answer

Agree..love my apple beer...although getting drunk on it can give you a wicked hang over!
  • cityruss
    Options

I call troll.
  • t_harp112
    t_harp112 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Okay can some of you guys just cut it out? I had an honest question and you're making it a big fight over nothing, who cares who's right or not? Just believe what you believe and move on with your life.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Okay can some of you guys just cut it out? I had an honest question and you're making it a big fight over nothing, who cares who's right or not? Just believe what you believe and move on with your life.

oh my
  • emhunter
    Options

I call troll.

Why do you call troll? What online Google search can you use to back you up? What source would satisfy you? Scholarly journals are not available from a Google search that I can copy and paste to you. I already stated to just ask doctors. On your next visit, ask. See what they tell you.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options

oh my

Yes he has a point. That fight hijacked a thread. I'd bet most people don't want to wade through that argument.

• emhunter
    Options

You are right! I definitely was not looking to hijack your post. You stated you thought diet soda was bad for you so I agreed with you. I have stated that people should believe what they want but that did not satisfy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I shop at WholeFoods sometimes. I drink diet sodas sometimes.

Me too! I was unaware this rule existed. I will speak with the manager of my local Whole Foods and ask if I am still allowed to shop there.

Dr. <ahem> Hyman and Jillian Michael are sales people who need to get you to buy-in to their spiel so you will buy their lifestyle products. And newspapers routinely publish overly dramatic stories that misinterpret random scientific studies in order to fuel an attention-getting headline. Not reputable sources.

Artificial sweeteners have been common-place for decades, and their are still no definitive studies showing any direct causation of health problems. At most it seems like some people are sensitive to particular artificial sweeteners.

OP, apple cider vinegar may have some health benefits, and it won't do any harm, so if you want to have some every day, go for it. Personally, I would use it to make salad dressing or marinade rather than drink it, but whatever. If you are asking about weight loss, it won't help that. Just log your food accurately and stay at your calorie goal for that.

Edited to add: Any zero or low cal drinks are great while losing weight: sparkling water, diet soda, green tea, etc. There are no drinks that will help you lose weight, they either add calories or they don't. :drinker:
  • maidentl
    Options
    Well
    jdleanna wrote: »

oh my

Yes he has a point. That fight hijacked a thread. I'd bet most people don't want to wade through that argument.

Well, I think we can safely say that if you want to drink apple cider vinegar for some other reason, there's no harm in it but it has no impact on weight loss. I haven't done any research on whether it actually provides any other benefits that it claims so I have no opinion on that. Other drinks that are good to drink when losing weight and you don't want calories, are water, diet soda and artificially flavored waters. I've also heard that fruit infused water is good, I am sure that the calories in that are negligible (unless you eat the fruit!) but I haven't tried it yet. I do have a fruit infusing bottle on the way, so I am looking forward to giving that a go.
  • emhunter
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Me too! I was unaware this rule existed. I will speak with the manager of my local Whole Foods and ask if I am still allowed to shop there.

Dr. <ahem> Hyman and Jillian Michael are sales people who need to get you to buy-in to their spiel so you will buy their lifestyle products. And newspapers routinely publish overly dramatic stories that misinterpret random scientific studies in order to fuel an attention-getting headline. Not reputable sources.

Artificial sweeteners have been common-place for decades, and their are still no definitive studies showing any direct causation of health problems. At most it seems like some people are sensitive to particular artificial sweeteners.

OP, apple cider vinegar may have some health benefits, and it won't do any harm, so if you want to have some every day, go for it. Personally, I would use it to make salad dressing or marinade rather than drink it, but whatever. If you are asking about weight loss, it won't help that. Just log your food accurately and stay at your calorie goal for that.

I never said there is a rule that shopping at WholeFoods means you cannot drink diet soda. I said there are a lot of people that shop there that believe that diet soda is not healthy. It goes away from their way of life.

Being condescending and passive aggressive is not healthy discussion. It is rude.

What online sources would you find as reputable?
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Vitamin water 0 orange, lemonade and XXX. No calories. Lots of regular water. I prefer Arrowhead and Evian. I buy Arrowhead buy the gallon and when its empty I use them for change banks.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar is added to drinking water for chickens. It promote good health.

Never thought of drinking it myself.
  • maidentl
    Options
    Vitamin water 0 orange, lemonade and XXX. No calories. Lots of regular water. I prefer Arrowhead and Evian. I buy Arrowhead buy the gallon and when its empty I use them for change banks.

I had to go look at the Arrowhead bottles. Those are pretty neat looking. I love Evian, but I just hate spending so much on drinks. I can get my Coke Zero for less than 50 cents a bottle.
  • cityruss
    Options

I call troll.

Why do you call troll? What online Google search can you use to back you up? What source would satisfy you? Scholarly journals are not available from a Google search that I can copy and paste to you. I already stated to just ask doctors. On your next visit, ask. See what they tell you.

I call troll because of this....
    Well the most sophisticated and scholarly articles cannot be found online

You were doing quite well before that.

But anyway, I'll play along.

All the articles, citations and references needed to back my point up (not that I've actually made one) are in the thread previously linked to you in this thread.

I'm not sure what Google has to do with anything. Surely the research and evidence you have used to develop your entrenched views has come from reliable peer reviewed scientific papers that you have found on services such as PubMed, OMICS, highwire, JSTOR, or SAGE.

What would satisfy me is you showing any evidence to back up your claims. You know, like the evidence shown in the thread linked to you in this thread.

You seem to be banding about this 'ask doctors'. I'm a doctor, I work in paediatric oncology, my wife is a doctor, she works in emergency medicine, we both say you are wrong. The fact that you have just been told by two doctors that you are wrong doesn't mean anything though does it, for that you need to look at the evidence, and for that you need to look at the thread linked to you in this thread.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I never said there is a rule that shopping at WholeFoods means you cannot drink diet soda. I said there are a lot of people that shop there that believe that diet soda is not healthy. It goes away from their way of life.

Being condescending and passive aggressive is not healthy discussion. It is rude.

What online sources would you find as reputable?

I was being sarcastic. That was in response to you stating as a fact that something is true, when you cannot prove that it's true (in fact no one has). And to be fair, many of your posts sounded pretty condescending, like he people who don't agree with you clearly haven't done their research.

Reputable sources would be peer reviewed scientific studies, which if they happened in at least the last 10 years, should be available online.