how many calories

Options
I ate one slice of a costco combo pizza.I bought the whole pizza not the slice,however. im confused. about how much calories it contains since it says 680 calories.It seems like too much is this actually. true?It was a very small slice

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    How did you find a small slice at Costco?lol. It is possible to be that high in calories considering the fat content. Just stick to higher protein options if you're worried for the rest of the day or find another log option for the pizza.
  • lysbeth25
    lysbeth25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ok.thanks :)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Costco so I'm not 100% sure, but depending on the size and thickness of the crust, 680 calories seems realistic! Meat toppings can add a lot of calories, especially if paired with enough full fat cheese on a thick crust. In a perfect world pizza wouldn't be so horrible for you haha
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lysbeth25 wrote: »
    I ate one slice of a costco combo pizza.I bought the whole pizza not the slice,however. im confused. about how much calories it contains since it says 680 calories.It seems like too much is this actually. true?It was a very small slice

That's the nutrition info Costco published for a 10.7 ounce serving. A lot of people have taken photos of the pizza and posted them online, and judging by those photos it's commonly cut into 12 slices. I agree that 680 calories per slice seems high for 1/12 of an 18" pizza.

Let's compare it to a similar 16" Papa John's pizza based on that online nutrition info.

Papa John's The Works 16" = Ten 172 gram slices at 350 calories each = a 1720 gram pizza with 3500 calories

Costco Combo 18" = Twelve 303 gram slices at 680 calories each = a 3636 gram pizza (8 lbs?) with 8160 calories

Using some quick geometry, an 18" pizza is 25% larger than a 16" pizza. Yet, on paper, the Costco pizza is over 100% larger. It doesn't add up.

Using Papa Johns as a reference, one would expect the Costo pizza to be 4375 total calories. (That's 3500x1.25.) Cutting it into roughly 6 - 8 slices (instead of 12) would get in the ballpark of 680 calories per slice.

Somebody should head to Costco and weigh the pizza, or at least a slice from an evenly cut pizza, and report back on that weight along with how many slices were in the pizza. I'll speculate that the 680 calorie and 10.7 ounce serving size was calculated on a lower number of slices per pizza, while they cut them into 12 slices in the stores. If so, each 1/12 size slice is likely around 340-450 calories.

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How many slices was the whole pizza? 1/6th is 776 according to another calorie counting website. 1/12th would be 388.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Costco slices are usually twice the size of a normal papa johns or Pizza Hut slice (at least when I've gone) so 600-700 sounds realistic, I've never bought a whole pizza there so don't know if the slices would be smaller for some reason but I wouldn't imagine so...
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Perhaps the pizzas sold by the entire pizza are cut into more slices (12) than the pizzas cut to be sold by the slice. That would explain why the "per slice" slice has so many calories and much more than what the original poster thought hers should have based on its size. (She said hers was purchased by the pizza.) I have now thought more about Costco pizza than anyone ever should.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Costco slices are usually twice the size of a normal papa johns or Pizza Hut slice (at least when I've gone) so 600-700 sounds realistic, I've never bought a whole pizza there so don't know if the slices would be smaller for some reason but I wouldn't imagine so...

Costco's are bigger in surface area, but they're much thinner. I think the toppings are probably a wash.