Question for the WOMEN !!

Okay so I try to stay on track with my dieting and working out but when I get my period I just fall off the wagon. I start craving high sodium foods and I binge on everything and normally I'm in too much discomfort and pain to workout so I can't burn those calories off. Any advise ??
Thanks in advance

Replies

• utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Honestly, the thing that has helped me the most in this area is trying to make sure my hormones are in better balance. I have drastically reduced the amount of estrogenic products I use (bath and beauty products especially) and that has made my cycle fluctuations much less dramatic. I don't have nearly the cravings and cramps/low energy that I used to have, and I can even do my full exercise all through my cycle now.

I'm not saying for sure that this is something that would help you, but I might just offer it as a suggestion. Hopefully others will have better advice as well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    If you are craving sodium, perhaps try adding extra sodium to your diet in the days proceeding the expected craving. A half teaspoon of salt in water may do the trick.

I used to crave carbs before going LCHF. Candies, pop and chips. Gone now though.

Good luck.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    why not just make room in your calories for those things you want to eat? Plus, at TOM, out bodies burn MORE calories - now granted, i wouldnt go and binge out on anything, but having an extra snack on those days wont do any damage- even if its a little bag of chips or half a candy bar....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I overeat before my period and undereat after, so it all balances out.

The period cravings are insane. They suck. But I load up on fruits and veggies and if I want extra bread, I just have it.

I don't load up on sugary sweets, though. I look hard at donuts because I really would love to eat them. They're exactly everything I'm craving. But I just won't buy (or make) junk food anymore. Mostly, it's not an issue, but if I run into the 7/11 for some water and they're there, I'll see and smell them. It's hard, but I walk on by. :)
  • ajgordo150
    ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Try a heat pad on your stomach it helps me
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    I keep a stockpile of very low calorie snacks at my desk for just such an occasion. That way I can skip my meals and just eat snacks nonstop until I don't feel like chewing my own arm off. I'm embarrassed for people to see my diary on those days. No meals, just all snacks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I overeat before my period and undereat after, so it all balances out.

The period cravings are insane. They suck. But I load up on fruits and veggies and if I want extra bread, I just have it.

I don't load up on sugary sweets, though. I look hard at donuts because I really would love to eat them. They're exactly everything I'm craving. But I just won't buy (or make) junk food anymore. Mostly, it's not an issue, but if I run into the 7/11 for some water and they're there, I'll see and smell them. It's hard, but I walk on by. :)

Pretty much this.

I eat enough to gain a pound the week before my period because the hunger is insane (yes that's 1800 calories over maintenance for me, pretty much). But it stops on the third day or so, and the two weeks after are easy because I'm not very hungry... so I make sure to keep a nice deficit those two weeks. Then I start ovulating and have a couple bad days again... that's pretty much how I've been maintaining for a year (I never had that issue until I got 3 pounds from my goal thankfully, or I honestly don't know where I would be now).

The key really is to make sure you stay on track the rest of the time, and to try and minimize the damage on bad hormonal days. Yep, donuts, sweet breads etc are my downfall those days... Typically things I crave are bagels, sandwiches, paninis, pizza, pasta, donuts, croissants and brioche... cookies sometimes... basically all the stuff I try to limit in my diet. They satisfy me but only for a couple hours. So it sucks, because they are high calories. And nothing else satisfies me (meat, veggies, nuts, I've tried them all, and I try to avoid sweets because they don't help at all with the cravings and just add calories).

But I still exercise. I alternate Advil and Tylenol every 3 hours if I have to, but they really help with the pain. I'd say, try that, if you're not already, and for your cravings, go for high fat/high protein salty things, like a good steak, chicken legs etc.
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    Periods are a pain. I have intense salt/sweet cravings during mine. I track my cycle through an app on my phone and the week before and of my period I snack on about 10 pieces of pretzel M&Ms throughout each day when I feel a craving. It's not as good as binging on a chocolate bar, but it does the trick and it fits in nicely with my calorie count. I also allow myself to eat it every day, so I never get overwhelmed by cravings. Give in to the craving in the smallest way possible, I say! :) It's always worked for me and has not hurt my weight loss.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    ajeyahk wrote: »
    Okay so I try to stay on track with my dieting and working out but when I get my period I just fall off the wagon. I start craving high sodium foods and I binge on everything and normally I'm in too much discomfort and pain to workout so I can't burn those calories off. Any advise ??
    Thanks in advance

Try tracking your period on an app (I use iPeriod) so you know exactly what/when to expect it. That way, you can use MFP to bank some extra calories in the week before or after those hell days. (The MFP phone app has a report that tells you your weekly deficit.) Good luck!
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    edited September 2015
    I haven't got mine this month :( I drop 10 kgs (4 before using MFP and 6 since I joined MFP ) or so. I went to a clinic and was given vitamin B by the doctor to improve my metabolism (and also a prescription of a hormon regulating meds that I have to take if the vitamin doesn't work. Primolut, anyone familiar with it?). I thought it was weird, I've been in caloric deficit (only for 4 months actually), but that is because I swap fried food to grilled/boiled, reduce the amount of starch carbs and work out. I've finished up my vitamin B. However, the period still hasn't come. Now I'm taking the meds, I hope my period come back...
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    I found the liquid forms (hot cocoa for chocolate; warm soup for salty food) help balancing this situation. The down side is more trips to the bathroom and might not be helpful if you're not sitting at home relaxing... :neutral:
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    I actually raise my calorie intake for that week. An extra 200 calories makes all the difference for me. Then it's right back to my usual goal after my period is over. I find that if I'm too restrictive with my calories, I end up "snacking" without logging and that usually amounts to around 500+ calories. If I give myself a bit more calories I tend to just eat bigger meals, log them, and not mindlessly graze my way around the house.
  • Orphia
    elga_thres wrote: »
    I haven't got mine this month :( I drop 10 kgs (4 before using MFP and 6 since I joined MFP ) or so. I went to a clinic and was given vitamin B by the doctor to improve my metabolism (and also a prescription of a hormon regulating meds that I have to take if the vitamin doesn't work. Primolut, anyone familiar with it?). I thought it was weird, I've been in caloric deficit (only for 4 months actually), but that is because I swap fried food to grilled/boiled, reduce the amount of starch carbs and work out. I've finished up my vitamin B. However, the period still hasn't come. Now I'm taking the meds, I hope my period come back...

You might be undereating. That will cause loss of periods, and even hair and nail loss, and other very serious problems.

• elga_thres
    edited September 2015
    Orphia wrote: »

You might be undereating. That will cause loss of periods, and even hair and nail loss, and other very serious problems.

I might be undereating... But doesn't it take a long time to cause loss of periods, etc? I don't have low body fat and I work out only 2x a week.
  • Orphia

I might be undereating... But doesn't it take a long time to cause loss of periods, etc? I don't have low body fat and I work out only 2x a week.

Talk to your doctor.

Also, eat close to your calorie limit as possible without going over, and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. You will still lose weight, and will be fuelling your body appropriately, and also not risking the "crash and burn" yo-yoing and bingeing that often follows periods of undereating.
  • elga_thres

Talk to your doctor.

Also, eat close to your calorie limit as possible without going over, and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. You will still lose weight, and will be fuelling your body appropriately, and also not risking the "crash and burn" yo-yoing and bingeing that often follows periods of undereating.

Thanks for your advice, I did talk to my doctor and will talk to her again if I still don't get my period back...
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    My fiance was sweet and made low calorie truffles. The only calories we had from them was from the chocolate and cream since he used no cal sweetener. Threw some raspberries in for good measure. There are always alternatives if willpower isn't cutting the cravings (because I totally understand the urge to eat all the things during).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    My appetite shoots up two days before my period and I eat at maintenance then and for the two heavy days. I don't exercise during the heavy days cuz I lose so much blood that walking up the stairs is hard enough. Before this was the case I didn't not exercise due to having my period - if my back hurt I would do gentle yoga or walk.

While I'm hungrier, I'm not having cravings, so I mostly eat normally, just 500 calories more. I made brownies this month cuz there was room in the calorie budget for them.

Here's how I got my cravings under control:

- Eating less foods like brownies and ice cream, and when I do have them, do so at the end of the day
    - Eating more protein, fiber, veggies, and fruit
    - Taking a magnesium supplement
    - Exercising
    - Drinking plenty of water
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    321d6461dd3f6eea25000c714dd308ac.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    321d6461dd3f6eea25000c714dd308ac.jpg

That chart really doesn't do anything for me. If I'm craving carbs during PMS week, believe me, fish, meat and nuts are just NOT going to cut it. They don't satisfy me at all. I heard that salmon can help, and I've tried it.. lies. Just lies.