How do you make peace with throwing food away?

Options
I often eat more food than I want or need in a sitting. I will be noticeably full and satisfied, but there's still some food left and I always feel so guilty throwing food away, so I'll eat just that little bit more, but then end up very uncomfortable (and eating unnecessary calories). What I have left and end up eating isn't enough to make a portion to eat another time, if it were, fine, I have no problems with leftovers. How can I learn to be at peace with throwing food away. I'm the anti hoarder and love to throw pretty much everything else away with no problem. How can I overcome this issue? Anyone deal with this?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It's never bothered me.

It turns to waste inside you, so you're not saving waste.

The world produces 2 to 3 times more food than it needs. There is no world food shortage, but rather distribution problems.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100893540

• defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The food either goes in the garbage or it sits on your tummy for the rest of your life. Easy choice for me. Literally nobody benefits from eating psst what I need for the day when I'm already full.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    That's what moderation is all about- getting your serving, sitting down to eat, but being able to push the plate away if you get full before you're done. Just save the rest for another day.
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not throwing food doesn't solve anything for anybody.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    With healthy clean food I try to avoid overly big portions first. Then second I try to freeze or save for another meal what I might truly want to eat. And thirdly I compost, so I know what I've had to discard enjoys a continued life participating in the healthy soil-food web. There's no reason it should destroy YOUR health! And if it's crappy 'foodlike substances' just get rid of it anyway you can & don't bring more of that into your life!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Learn to give up gullt. It is freeing.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    If I'm full, that's it, anything that's left goes into the bin. (Or my dog, when she was alive. Unless it was chocolate. That's not what did it though ftr)

I don't know, do you compost? Apparently it's possible to do w cooked food. Maybe it could go back into a garden.
    Just make up for the waste in other areas of your life - recycle, or better yet don't buy bottles of water and other single use disposable items, take your own Tupperware to restaurants to save Styrofoam, etc. Or find non - food related ways to make a difference like driving a fuel efficient car, walking instead of driving, there are limitless possibilities!
    ^ sounds good to me.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Compost, or get some pets that can eat the leftover food. Chickens can eat about everything.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You are more important than being a human garbage disposal.
  • Orphia
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Learn to give up guilt. It is freeing.
    jaqcan wrote: »
    You are more important than being a human garbage disposal.

These.

You need to learn to just say "*kitten* it". :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, your disdain for wasting food will fix the problem of taking too much in the first place. If it's at a restaurant, and you have a companion, you could offer it to them. Otherwise, if you don't want the leftovers, chuck 'em.
  • Ldmarcher07
    Ldmarcher07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't look at is as though I'm losing something good. I know that I'm refusing something that I don't need and the truth is, investing in yourself costs. It cost some people money. It costs some people time. I found out from throwing away the unhealthy food that I had that it cost me food. And I came to terms with it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    Hopefully, your disdain for wasting food will fix the problem of taking too much in the first place. If it's at a restaurant, and you have a companion, you could offer it to them. Otherwise, if you don't want the leftovers, chuck 'em.

Don't chuck it. Ask the waitress for a container, and put half your food in there before digging into it. If you want more you can reach into it again.

But then they'd be left with the same unappealing serving of leftovers.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Even if it doesn't feel good. Eventually, you feelings will change.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    "Trash that fat"

If I offered you a deal where you could safely and painlessly dump 1 lb of fat in the garbage each day, would you feel guilty for wasting it?

That's all the food is going to be. So just "trash that fat!"

This logic brought to you from some diet book that I can't even remember the title of, but it stuck with me.

Osric
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    "Trash that fat"

If I offered you a deal where you could safely and painlessly dump 1 lb of fat in the garbage each day, would you feel guilty for wasting it?

This logic brought to you from some diet book that I can't even remember the title of, but it stuck with me.

Osric

I like that!

• Orphia
    Options
    "Trash that fat"

Osric

I like that!

Seconded!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I feed the meat to my dogs and the bunny sort of food out for the rabbits that live in my shrubberies :D But I rarely have anything left over that I wouldn't eat even for a snack in the next couple of days. I wouldn't bother freezing it, so in come the dogs and bunnies!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me to throw out food. Perhaps that makes me a conspicuous consumer, but I'd rather be that than fat.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't bother me to throw out food, but I don't need to as I don't put more on my plate than I can eat. Maybe you could try portioning your food differently? I'm better with a very small meal in the daytime and a huuuuuge one at night.