Impossible to get back on track! Advice needed!

Options
I've been at this for a couple of years now. I've been up and down before but have managed to get back on track. But this time is different. I went away on vacation in early August and I did very well while on vacation. I made healthy and very low calorie choices. However, when I got back, everything went downhill. Since then, I have rarely tracked calories throughout the entire day. I would start to, but half way through the day I would just start snacking and ruin everything. I can't seem to stop this. I have gained weight over the past month and a half. I want to plan out my meals on a schedule and not eat anything that is not in that schedule instead of minlessly snacking everyday. I will make schedules yet not be able to keep them. Any advice? I am desperate to get back on track again. I've created this habbit of mindless snacking and now find it impossible to break.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't overly restricting. Sounds like you're trying to eat too little and then caving when the hunger hits?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Get back to logging and stop mindless snacking. Motivation comes from within. You can do this!!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Its a matter of putting yourself first. You deserve to pay attention to yourself and what food you put in your body. Being mindful takes perseverence. So lately my mantra I say in my head is this: "Do what you say, and say what you mean." For me, that means to not be all talk, just live it. You bite it, you write it. You jog it, you log it. Get serious.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I think you need to simply ask yourself how important reaching your goal is. Your answer will determine whether or not you are going to stick with. For me, being overweight just wasn't an option for me anymore - I refused to let it be - and I've never looked back. You need to dig deep and find that willpower that I know you have. Don't restrict yourself to the point of desperation - that never works. Eat a sensible and realistic deficit and you'll get there.
  • CristalSCarter
    CristalSCarter Posts: 28 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pre-logging my day and making sure I'm getting in the proper amount of protein, fruits, and veggies while making sure there's enough room for a reasonable dessert always helps me. It's important to not completely deprive yourself but enjoy things in moderation. Also buying new gym clothes helps motivate me to wanna go to the gym more. You can do it, you just need to find ways to keep yourself interested.
  • kdejesus35
    kdejesus35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, Snack on yummy healthy snacks and have fun logging them. If you've done this before I'm sure youre already great at it. If not setup your reminders they have been helping me. Don't give up.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Keep those snacks out of the house and close your eyes in the stores if you dont have it or see it you wont eat it
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    If you like snacks, eat snacks. However, don't mindlessly snack.

If it's too daunting to pre-plan the whole day, don't do that. You need to find what works for you. Be sure to enter everything you eat so that you have a complete record and can look back at your problem days to see what adjustments you can make in the future to satisfy yourself in a more manageable way.

Enter food into MFP immediately before you eat it. That will take a couple minutes and give you a buffer to decide if you really want to eat it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One other minor, but (I believe) meaningful thing: Stop using the word "impossible" for this, even to yourself. You aren't, yet, behaving as you like - but you can. You've done it before, so you *know* you can.

Log everything, even if you're off track for a while. Review at the end of the day: What could I have done differently - healthy snack, a walk instead, cup of tea, hands-busy distracting hobby, etc.

Rehearse the alternate behavior in your head. Next time in real life, substitute the alternate activity. Note positive benefits - pride, sense of control, etc.

Repeat as needed until back on track.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    N
  • indigojoy
    indigojoy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe ease your way back to being on track. What if you made just one change this week? Maybe .... just drinking more water. Or going to sleep on time. Or getting some movement every day. If you add one or two small changes a week, you'll be back on track before you know it.
  • mick1988burrows
    mick1988burrows Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Set yourself a goal , have a better routine of going to bed and getting up at the same time each day. Change your diet from time to time and workouts so you don't get bored of the same old routine and fall off track. I have been the same in the past just eating everything and anything ha. I'm hoping to enter a fitness men's physique competition sometime in the future, so that's my goal to keep me on track! Buy nuts so when you become peckish just have a handful. Prep your food the night before that way you won't end up snacking on food if you've made it the night before.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! These suggestion were really helpful! It's a new week and I'm going to hope that this week goes as planned. I find I am a HUGE stress eater and I am under a lot of stress at the moment with school. Also, when I wonder whether I can keep at this lifestyle change forever, I get stressed that I won't be able to do it... which also leads to bingeing.
  • memeth
    memeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the suggestion of logging what you eat before you eat it. I mindlessly snack and think that will be a great help to me.
  • r0ck1
    r0ck1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Get a book or a game on your cellphone. I have been using candy crush instead of food. I'm on level 690 and down 10 pounds. :) and trust me- I've been stressing plenty. Make the choice, and commit.