How often do you all weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• pedrolaroque
    pedrolaroque Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do once a week every sunday first thing in the morning. Keepin it consistent, keepin it real.
  • elbrujo53
    elbrujo53 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    elbrujo53 wrote: »
    The good thing of weighting once a week and on the same day of the week is that you have a fixed reference from where to measure your real progress. You can have ups and downs from one day to the other and that might be discouraging (for instance from Saturday to Sunday to Monday...) What had worked for me: one day of the week usually a Wednesday or a Thursday (far from weekend days) first thing in the morning , register your weight and measurements on a spreadsheet and weight same day every week on. You can weight everyday if you want, but use only one day to measure your progress... Good luck!

Not really. Those ups and downs can occur on the day you choose to weigh. The only way to tell, is to weigh every day.

But how often you should weigh yourself, or whether at all, is totally up to you and what is practical and in line with your feelings towards the scale.

"The only way"??..... Sorry, there is not such thing....

You are correct, the ups and downs can occur on the day you choose to weigh, perhaps one week or so , but mostly if you weight near to the days when your deviations (in terms of calorie intake) are important (usually - again - usually, not always, weekends) . In the long term, the average weight should go down if you are doing things correct. You do not need to weight every day to notice that trend. Again, I repeat, that is what has worked for me.... Weighting everyday could be misleading for some (and great for others...!).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The good thing of weighting once a week and on the same day of the week is that you have a fixed reference from where to measure your real progress. You can have ups and downs from one day to the other and that might be discouraging (for instance from Saturday to Sunday to Monday...) What had worked for me: one day of the week usually a Wednesday or a Thursday (far from weekend days) first thing in the morning , register your weight and measurements on a spreadsheet and weight same day every week on. You can weight everyday if you want, but use only one day to measure your progress... Good luck!

Not really. Those ups and downs can occur on the day you choose to weigh. The only way to tell, is to weigh every day.

But how often you should weigh yourself, or whether at all, is totally up to you and what is practical and in line with your feelings towards the scale.

"The only way"??..... Sorry, there is not such thing....

You are correct, the ups and downs can occur on the day you choose to weigh, perhaps one week or so , but mostly if you weight near to the days when your deviations (in terms of calorie intake) are important (usually - again - usually, not always, weekends) . In the long term, the average weight should go down if you are doing things correct. You do not need to weight every day to notice that trend. Again, I repeat, that is what has worked for me.... Weighting everyday could be misleading for some (and great for others...!).

OK, I may have overgeneralized there. Maybe others are more regular. MY weight fluctuation pattern is almost totally unpredictable and unexplainable. My weight can go up or down by up to 1 kg from one day to the next, and 1 1/2 kg in the course of a few days. It does not care what day of the week it is, or which day of the month. I can maybe spot it if I've eaten a lot of salt the day before, but I'm not sure, I did think my digestion affected my weight, but I'm not sure about that anymore, either. And I eat around the same amount of calories every day. I'm in maintenance, but the principle is the same as when losing or gaining.

This infographic is from NASA, I believe:
    figure355.png
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am finding that I am weighting myself more then I was. when ever I think about it or I feel like I have lost more weight. :)
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Every two weeks - Monday, first thing in the morning. If I remember....
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was obsessed with the scale for a very long time. I used to weigh myself daily and sometimes multiple times a day. I find my weight fluctuates so much I usually only weigh myself monthly now. It's always a pleasant surprise that way.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    everyday, but only count whatever i weigh after a week
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Probably around twice a week, just to monitor that I'm continuing to maintain and not gain.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of the scale nor does it mess me up to see my weight fluctuate, so I weigh daily, but I only log losses.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »
    I'm not afraid of the scale nor does it mess me up to see my weight fluctuate, so I weigh daily, but I only log losses.

Weighing daily keeps me from fearing the scale :#
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    About every other week. I am not worried about day to day fluctuations.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Daily. Nothing cheeky about it. Its sensible unless you can't process the information without going into a panic attack if the news is negative.
  • chloele
    chloele Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every day as soon as I wake up. If I lose a bit it motivates me to eat healthy the rest of the day, if I gained a bit it motivates me to eat healthy the rest of the day! I also have started to drink lemon/cayenne pepper/honey in hot water in the morning. That also starts my day off focusing on healthy eating :)
  • Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Due to my weight loss, I now weigh myself every three weeks. Funny thing is if I was to put weight on I would know
  • ckfox95
    ckfox95 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it daily as well. I don't fret over the day to day fluctuations.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Every day for me. I maintain about 114 lbs. Say that I weigh 113 on Saturday, 115 on Sunday, and 117 on Monday due to normal fluctuations. If my weigh-in day is only on Monday, I would never know about 113 and 115. Personal preference, but I like to see what's going on daily.
  • alechyo79
    alechyo79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Every day for me too. I know there will be days with huge fluctuations but medium term ( 10-15 days) the trend should be down, otherwise an adjustment is in order
  • MsDvine
    MsDvine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Fridays or Saturdays.
  • poppinfresh80
    poppinfresh80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just remember,your weight can fluctuate oz even lbs depending on the time of the day you weigh in! Try doing it the same time everyday (I do it when I first wake up on days that I decide to weigh in!) And don't forget not to just go by the scale number.... take measurements... notice how your clothes fit.... note how you feel when exercising as it gets easier.... etc :) Rock on.
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Avoid daily or you will get obsessed with the whole weigh-in process. I say this because, if you do it daily and you lose 2lbs the first weigh in and then the next day you weigh in and gained that 2lbs back, you will be mad and disappointed. Then you start to doubt yourself about what you are doing wrong. Weigh in once a week is enough. It doesn't matter what day of the week, but always do it on and empty stomach and no clothes.