protein or calories?

Options
I'm 5'2 at 133lbs want to get to 126lbs. I'm doing heavy lifting SL 3X a week and spinning or incline sprints once a week....which macro or goal is most important to meet? Protein for muscle retention and repair or calories? Sometimes I dnt make it to 1200 call but over 100g protein....I take protein shakes as well during or after my workout

What has been your experience? What does what?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    With your stats, if you want to lose, you should be set at .5 lbs per week loss. No matter how much protein you do or don't eat, you won't lose unless you're in that deficit.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your question is. You say you reach your protein goal but not your caloric goal. Even if you were to hit your caloric goal, you would have already hit your protein goal, so the two aren't mutually exclusive.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am in a deficit as I said I hardly get to 1200 but try get over 100g protein becoz I want to maintain my muscles. What is more important a deficit or protein intake? Like is it fine to eat 900 cals with 100g protein or need to up calories to not make too bigger deficit?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    I am in a deficit as I said I hardly get to 1200 but try get over 100g protein becoz I want to maintain my muscles. What is more important a deficit or protein intake? Like is it fine to eat 900 cals with 100g protein or need to up calories to not make too bigger deficit?

It's not fine to eat 900 calories. 1200 is the absolute minimum.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your question is. You say you reach your protein goal but not your caloric goal. Even if you were to hit your caloric goal, you would have already hit your protein goal, so the two aren't mutually exclusive.

yes I do meet protein macros coz the shakes are low calorie or grilled chicken breasts and eggs....I'm not scared of carbs but personally when I eat food higher in carbs even brown rice I tend to overeat not get full for long and crave the bad stuff so protein helps me keep my hunger in check....

calories are for energy and I'm never out of energy and I increase weight every workout...and protein for muscle repair....how do I increase my calories or its fine as long as I get to my protein macro

• Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    First of all are you even losing the weight. If you are then just keep doing what you're doing. Also your weight may not drop because you may be building muscle and losing fat at the same time. Use the mirror. If you are not losing weight increase the activity before anything else. As far as what's more important to hit protein or calories. I say both. Stay at the same calories but increase your protein to 120 grams. Your body will work harder to break down the protein. Doing this will naturally lower your carbs. Hope I answered your questio .
  • cherriegh
    Options
    Thank you! I lost 13lbs initially in first 2weeks now I'm stuck at 133lbs I'd lose 2 lbs then gain then lose but not getting lesser than 133. I'm wearing smaller clothes though especially tops and waist have really gone down just the thighs are stubborn...

I guess I just don't wanna hurt my metabolism doing this incorrectly but if it's not bad then kudos :)

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »

yes I do meet protein macros coz the shakes are low calorie or grilled chicken breasts and eggs....I'm not scared of carbs but personally when I eat food higher in carbs even brown rice I tend to overeat not get full for long and crave the bad stuff so protein helps me keep my hunger in check....

calories are for energy and I'm never out of energy and I increase weight every workout...and protein for muscle repair....how do I increase my calories or its fine as long as I get to my protein macro

Eventually the lack of calories will catch up with you. Your body might currently be taking energy from fat now, but it will start on your muscles and bones next.