beans

Options
I want to have pinto beans are can stuff ok to have.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the beans with jalapeños. Very good :)
  • ynsanders
    ynsanders Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you cook your beans in a crock pot with meat
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    A lot of the canned beans have a ton of sodium in them. Just sayin in case you're one of the worlds population that is drastically affected hypertension wise with sodium. :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Is there some particular reason you're wondering if they're okay?

I'm not sure I understand why you're asking.

For weight loss, all you have to do is watch your calories. Like someone else said, the canned stuff has tons of sodium, so if you're watching that, the beans will probably take up a lot of the salt you get that day. But if you're worried about the high-carb content, a serving of beans won't stop you from losing weight.

I love beans. They're the magical fruit! :)
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I love beans. They're the magical fruit! :)

"Musical" because they make you toot ;-)
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Reduced sodium canned beans are available if that is a concern.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I buy dry beans and soak them in water overnight. It works very well. 1/2 cup beans and other spices per recipe are completely cooked in 30 minutes with 2 cups of water. No added sodium, if you buy your beans dry.
    Eating at a deficit is required in order to lose body weight. Beans are good for fiber and other nutrients
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Just weigh your portion and log it. You'll see if it's putting you over your calorie count or not.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of beans! Love them for fiber, flavor, potassium and will eat low sodium canned often. I usually only eat a 130g serving because they are calorie dense.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you drain and rinse canned beans; are you removing most of the sodium?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    A lot of the canned beans have a ton of sodium in them. Just sayin in case you're one of the worlds population that is drastically affected hypertension wise with sodium. :smile:

That's the down side. I like beans, but have yet to find canned stuff that is low sodium. And since I'm often an impulse type of person, soaking beans and the extra prep time just usually wouldn't be in the cards. Maybe I'll try doing a big batch that way and freeze them, but they better defrost and reheat in a hurry or I'll abandon that and stick with canned!

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When I read this, I assumed the concern was about leeching chemicals from canned food into the food? (My parents use to talk about this a lot, for some reason.) If so, this is not a prevalent concern and not something to worry about :)
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I read about tests that claimed , if you drain and rinse canned beans you can reduce its sodium content by 40%. I love canned chick peas in my hummus.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

That's the down side. I like beans, but have yet to find canned stuff that is low sodium. And since I'm often an impulse type of person, soaking beans and the extra prep time just usually wouldn't be in the cards. Maybe I'll try doing a big batch that way and freeze them, but they better defrost and reheat in a hurry or I'll abandon that and stick with canned!

Goya, Eden, and several store brands make a no salt added canned bean.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    And http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/12/how-to-kick-the-can-of-beans/ is a great step by step on how to make your own beans and freeze them.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Have you tried a pressure cooker?

I still buy canned beans, but I often cook and can them in a pressure canner too. Then I can control sodium.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    They could have BPA or other chemicals so maybe that's a concern, as well as sodium. But overall, just rinse them and you should be fine to eat them.