Intermittent fasting

Options
sunandmoons
sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

I have lost weight doing intermittent fasting..meaning not eating after 7 pm and then eating at noon or 1 pm the next day.. I dont get hungry in the morning and its easy for me to do and actually was doing it without trying. I still count the alloted calories from MFP. Mornings are the busiest time for me so it I dont even think about food. I know its not for everyone. Whats your take on this?

Replies

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic if you're trying to drop BF/weight.

Not exactly the best strategy if you're trying put on as much mass as possible, as its harder for me to eat as much in such a small window.

But if it works, don't fix it ;)
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do 18:6 and I absolutely love it. Starting the 5:2 soon.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting is about nothing but convenience. As long as you're eating your alloted calories within a 24 hr period, it doesn't matter how and when you eat them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. I naturally stop eating about 6-7 and don't eat until 10-11 the next day. HOWEVER, I found when I tried to label it, or consciously do it, my brain denied.
  • sunandmoons
    Options
    Thank you for your replies!! I feel better when fasting. It makes me more accountable for what I do eat. Seem as though I have more energy. Your right though, if I was to purposely try it my brain would fail too. It seems to work very well when I dont think about it and it just happens that way. However, I think it gives your digestion a chance to rest. I do drink two 24 ounces of water in between.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I am all for IF,, good groups on here too.
  • sunandmoons
    Options
    Thanks! I will check it out.
  • purleyprimitives
    Options
    I've been doing the 16:8 version for about a week and its worked great so far!! I'm never hungry so for me, its a good plan.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do. I've always been a natural no-breakfast eater, so I use that to my advantage. I normally eat for the first time between noon and 1, and then I'm done by about 7. If it helps you, I say go for it.
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Luv IF. During the week I just one meal a day or a very small window. On my days off usually a bigger window. I feel much better eating this way too! Every once in a while I fast for around 40 hours.
  • FitnessDebunked_com
    Options
    I use IF and I find it helps allocate calories to the times I'm most likely to over eat and keeps me within them. On a bulk, this could be difficult.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I adore IF. I'm 17:7. Between IF and keto, I'm not hungry.

Great group... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I adore IF. I'm 17:7. Between IF and keto, I'm not hungry.

Great group... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

+1 for 17:7.

I intentionally set out to do 16:8, but I prefer 17:7 for some reason.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Luv IF. During the week I just one meal a day or a very small window. On my days off usually a bigger window. I feel much better eating this way too! Every once in a while I fast for around 40 hours.

**Please note there are fewer risks for men fasting than women. I've seen no evidence or studies that list any risks for women doing 16:8. I however would not personally recommend women fast for longer on a regular basis (unless it's for religious or spiritual reasons). The potential risks start to pile on when women fast longer than 16 hours and increase the longer you go. Please research the risks before attempting regular longer fasts.

I very much enjoyed 16:8. I found it an effective maintenance woe.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I used to do a really small window as my hunger dictated, about 18:6, but I started working out more and now range anywhere from 12:12 to 16:8.

I basically just ... don't eat breakfast until I'm hungry, and stop eating early. It's not something I knew was a "thing" until I came onto MFP. I just found it was the best way for me to control my appetite.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    <snip>I basically just ... don't eat breakfast until I'm hungry, and stop eating early. It's not something I knew was a "thing" until I came onto MFP. I just found it was the best way for me to control my appetite.

+1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    IF, or "skipping breakfast" as it used to be called, is excellent for those who like to eat that way. Eating pattern is a matter of preference. One can also adapt to other patterns if wnated/needed.

Just rememeber that everybody fasts when sleeping, that's what "breakfast" alludes to.

And giving the digestive system a "rest" beyond that, isn't necessary, as the digestive system is made for - well, digestion.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

**Please note there are fewer risks for men fasting than women. I've seen no evidence or studies that list any risks for women doing 16:8. I however would not personally recommend women fast for longer on a regular basis (unless it's for religious or spiritual reasons). The potential risks start to pile on when women fast longer than 16 hours and increase the longer you go. Please research the risks before attempting regular longer fasts.

I very much enjoyed 16:8. I found it an effective maintenance woe.

Can you speak to what these increased risks are? Do they affect all or most women? Or just women in a specific subset and if so what is that subset?

I've read a good deal about alternate day fasting and 5:2 plans, and from what I've read, they don't seem to have considerable increased risks for most women and they often have 24 hour fasts. In fact, they can have additional benefits such as increased insulin sensitivity and decreasing levels of IGF-1. So I'd really like to know more about the risks to which you're referring. Please share.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Another 18:6er here.

:drinker:

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands...!"
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat one meal a day. The only time I get in trouble with it is if I get hungry later in the day and refuse to eat a second meal that day. That kicks in the sugar cravings and when I don't give in, I often wake up feeling like crap next day.