Eating Disorder Advice Please

Options
I downloaded this app at the start of summer and used it to help maintain a balanced diet whilst exercising and losing a few pounds.
However, as the time had progressed, I became more and more obsessive over consuming a lot less under my goal target of 1,200 calories a day.
It's been around three months and over that time I've decreased my daily calorie intake to roughly 500, but techincally after exercise and walking, I've been having about 200-300 a day.

Over these three months my weight has dropped from 53kg to 48kg (currently 105 lbs) and my current height is 5"3. This app as become an addiction and I think one of the main causes to developing what I think to be an eating disorder. I don't want to have to delete the app like my friend advised me to, I just want peoples guidance in helping me to use it properly.

Im really scared for my health, but the fear of gaining weight again is too overwhelming. I need advice and help please.

- Nia

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • lintilla42
    lintilla42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with @kommodeveran - talk to your doctor. I know it's hard. I know it sucks. But it could save your life.

Best of luck <3
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Nia - You aren't alone. Most people won't admit - but the obsessive thinking trap is very, very easy to fall into. I'm guilty of being overly obsessed at times with my calorie counting but I know that if it ever becomes a genuine problem for me, I will reach out for help as you have done now - Well done for that. To expand on the 'talk to your doctor' comment above, you are aware that this isn't good behaviour and that your relationship with food is flawed. You have taken the first step by admitting that so you definitely have that inner strength to overcome the obsession. Yes - please, please visit your doctor and mention your worries and please, please continue to concentrate on that inner strength I know you have. Be safe and look after yourself x
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yep, this isn't something random internet people will be able to help you with.
    Make an appointment with you doctor. Just say you want to discuss your weight. Bring this post in and let them read it if you aren't comfortable saying anything out loud. If you are in school, a school counselor could help too. If you live with your parents, talk to them. They have likely noticed something is up.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You need professional help. NOW.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely seek professional help. Good luck. <3
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I am also going to urge you to see a doctor. If you have an eating disorder, merely deleting the MFP app isn't going to help you in the long run. You need to speak to a professional.

Good luck!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in seeking professional help. In fact, it's one of the healthiest moves you can make.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You need professional help.
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi Nia - Accepting that something is wrong and reaching out for help is the first hurdle. Talking at length to a doctor will be extremely helpful for you. You are not alone! This has happened to many people (with or without MFP). I went through an eating disorder when I was younger and got through it with the help and support of family and friends - lean on them throughout this experience, especially if you are not ready to seek help from a doctor.

mirrim52 wrote: »
    Yep, this isn't something random internet people will be able to help you with.

Sometimes it's easier for people to reach out for help anonymously - no need for sarcasm!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Nia,

You need professional help, that we cannot provide, as soon as possible. Here's a link to the National Eating Disorders Association resources page. http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

This is the only body you have, please take care of it! Best of luck! :blush:
  • cmoni2
    cmoni2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dear Nia, you have taken the first and most difficult step to better health -- by acknowledging that something is wrong and asking for help. Be proud! Please do continue the process toward achieving good health by speaking with a Health Care Provider. Your closest friends and family will provide the loving support you need. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for continued strength and conviction on your journey to complete recovery. Monica
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You need professional help, and you need it now. Talk to your parents, your friends or someone at school, if you still are a student