What determines if someone is fit or not?

xstephnz
xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
For example, I could probably do a full day of walking (like a hike or something), but wouldn't manage to run for more than thirty seconds at a time.

How do you know when your ''there'' and ''fit''?

I guess its something I won't need to worry about for a while.

Replies

• xstephnz
    My ultimate goal (at the moment), is to be able to run a 10k someday. I don't see much point in going any further than that. Maybe I would consider doing a marathon or something, but I HATE blisters.
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Even when you are at the pinnacle, most want more and are never there.

Personally, I am not as fast as when I was in my 20s, but am miles ahead of six months ago when I started exercising again. Just keep moving forward and challenging yourself.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I don't know.
    Saying something like I'm "Fit" sounds so final. Like there is no room for improvement. I think that's probably why in my mind it's more of a moving target. I know that some people consider me fit and there are people who don't. I've set goals in the past thinking I'll feel "fit" when I achieve them, but what really happens is that I get there and feel it's not good enough; I can and will do better. That's just how my mind works though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No clue. There are people who can't run a mile who I consider fit, and people who can run many miles who I don't consider very fit.
  • markburnett70
    markburnett70 Posts: 66 Member
    I think you're fit for particular things. If you want to run a 10k, then you're fit when you can do that comfortably. Although there is probably some base fitness that everyone ought to be able to meet I guess.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I can't run long distances. But I can do hours of boxing or capoeira and not be dead.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I think you are "fit" when you are at the point where you can physically do the things you want to do and need to do. I also think you are fit when your body works without a hindrance like getting out of breath quickly or getting tired easily.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Dealer's choice
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I think you are "fit" when you are at the point where you can physically do the things you want to do and need to do. I also think you are fit when your body works without a hindrance like getting out of breath quickly or getting tired easily.

^^Yup

• xstephnz
    edited September 2015
    Although there is probably some base fitness that everyone ought to be able to meet I guess.

I kind of mean standard fitness. Like what do you have to be able to do to be considered ''healthy''? is there a test or something? We used to do a few different things in health class, one being the ''beep test''.

What would one have to be able to do to qualify as a police officer? to get into the army? to become a navy seal? What is the optimum fitness?

I think I consider fitness to be able to do an average amount of many different things, like be able to run 10k+, be able to do 50 pull ups, 1000 sit-ups, 100 squats, swim a certain distance, lift a certain amount etc. If you can only do a group of things, but not other things, I'm not sure if I would consider you fit. Whats the point in being able to lift heavy stuff if you can't outrun a zombie?

I feel like if you get good at one area, your fitness would increase in other areas as well. This may not apply to everything, but if you are good at running, you might be able to swim or bike further than you could before, also.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I decided I needed to get back "in shape" when climbing up my stairs was making me breathe hard. I wasn't overweight at all, but having three kids in just under 4 years with no cardio other than walking was taking its toll.

I feel like I'm back in shape cardiovascularly because I run, but I'm not strong... I can pick up my kids and carry groceries but that's about it.
  • markburnett70
    markburnett70 Posts: 66 Member
    To qualify to go on fire forest service personal have to carry a 45 pound pack 3 miles within 45 minutes. In high school we were supposed to be able to run a mile in less than 7 minutes for boys and I think 8 minutes for the girls.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    I'd say that overall fitness includes strength, endurance, and (to a lesser extent) speed, agility, and flexibility. I say this, knowing full well that people will tend to be better at certain things than at others.

To cite one criterion, I'd say that any reasonably fit person should be able to run a 5K, though not necessarily quickly. This isn't a very high standard, mind you, but I'm tossing it out there as a general rule. I'd also say that any adult male should be able to do at least 20 push-ups -- again, as a general rule and not setting a high standard.
  • xstephnz
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I'd also say that any adult male should be able to do at least 20 push-ups -- again, as a general rule and not setting a high standard.

Heck, I'm severley obese, and I can do 20 full pushups!!! I do have a personal trainer though.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    If you could beat an average jogger in a foot race, you might be fit.
    If you could run that jogger down, beat him up, then throw him over your shoulder and carry him back to the start, you know you're fit.
    That would be my test.
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2015
    xstephnz wrote: »
    Although there is probably some base fitness that everyone ought to be able to meet I guess.

I kind of mean standard fitness. Like what do you have to be able to do to be considered ''healthy''? is there a test or something? We used to do a few different things in health class, one being the ''beep test''.

What would one have to be able to do to qualify as a police officer? to get into the army? to become a navy seal? What is the optimum fitness?

I think I consider fitness to be able to do an average amount of many different things, like be able to run 10k+, be able to do 50 pull ups, 1000 sit-ups, 100 squats, swim a certain distance, lift a certain amount etc. If you can only do a group of things, but not other things, I'm not sure if I would consider you fit. Whats the point in being able to lift heavy stuff if you can't outrun a zombie?

I feel like if you get good at one area, your fitness would increase in other areas as well. This may not apply to everything, but if you are good at running, you might be able to swim or bike further than you could before, also.

back when I was in school, we had standard fitness tests. Mind you, this was the 60's and it included a sprint, flexed arm hang, sit ups,standing broad jump, 600 yard run and a couple more that I don't remember. Apparently they have updated those and included a test for adults which includes aerobic fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition (aka BMI). More info can be found here: https://www.adultfitnesstest.org/

When I received my introductory evaluation at the gym, they used these same things to test my fitness
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Fit for a 20 year old or a 60 year old?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Here ya go. In the US many schools participate in this. I remember doing this back in the 70's and my son did it in the 2000's. There is an adult version here as well.

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/challenge/adult.shtml
  • earlnabby
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Fit for a 20 year old or a 60 year old?

i know the standard evaluation that gyms use figures in age

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    xstephnz wrote: »

Lol@ this list of average things. I would hate to have had to play against your football team back when I was in high school.

As to the second half of that paragraph, should I not consider my orthopedic surgeon a good doctor because he can't perform open heart surgery at a high level?