weight training for 64yr old to build muscle while losing fat

Options
Hi, I'm new to this site, but I would like to ask opinions on weight training for a 64yr old. I have been lifting almost all my life and I want to know opinions on 1) how heavy is safe for my age group, 2) how do I balance aerobics with the weights to build muscle and lose fat 3) is swimming going to cut into my strength workout results?
Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You're probably not going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Generally, they require two different caloric needs. i.e. muscle growth needs a caloric surplus and fat loss requires a caloric deficit.

You should have a progressive overload as long as your form is correct. That is the most important thing. You don't want to over strain yourself, cause injury, or worse.

You can do aerobics and then weight training... or vice versa. Losing fat and building muscle at the same time? Probably not.

Swimming will only cut into your strength gains if you don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    John,
    look to alternating days. Lift with a compound programme x 3, then swim on your off days.

An idea of your weight/ health status at the moment vs the programmes you have done previously would help.
    Also, when did you last lift?

As for what is safe? That is dependant on your current status, but as a little healthy 62yo woman, I started low and just keep pushing. I go slow, that is my adjustment for age and size.

I am hoping IsaackGMOON, or someone else, will chip in with the compound programme names, and a bit of info about them, I can't keep track of them.

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    1) how heavy is safe for my age group,
    If you are sensible it's no more or less safe. Your progress will be slower and recovery will be slower so don't expect the same speed of results you would have had in your 20's. For me (in my 50's) the management of a lifetime of injuries and avoidance of new ones is the biggest factor in making progress. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to take deload weeks if feeling fatigued.
    I've found training in a pyramid style (decreasing reps, increasing weight) helps me avoid injury as I effectively get an exercise specific warmup.

2) how do I balance aerobics with the weights to build muscle and lose fat
    Aerobics (or cardio generally) isn't what loses the fat - that's your calorie deficit. With a heavy exercise workload you must fuel your exercise properly and if you are to have a chance of simultaneous fat loss/muscle gain you must have a small calorie deficit. Make sure you have an adequate protein intake too.
    I far prefer to split cardio and weights into different days as a general rule for quality of training. 3 x weights, 3 x cardio (mostly cycling for me), one day rest/recovery is my normal routine.

3) is swimming going to cut into my strength workout results?
    Why would it? Cardio doesn't burn muscle, muscle isn't a preferred energy source. Depending on intensity of your lifting and intensity of your swimming you may get some interference with recovery.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and I've found that when I'm in caloric deficit for weight lose strength falls off. At our age there are three things to tend to (1) too much fat (2) muscle loss (3) loss of mobility. You can do mobility work on your off days while doing either strength or fat loss.

You really need to keep the goal the goal. At the moment my goal is fat loss so I'm not too distressed that I'm not gaining strength. When I end this fat loss cycle I'll continue using MyFittnessPal to eat for maintenance and then I'll expect strength gains again. That has been my missing ingredient with the typical, "That worked so well I can quit doing it." Going back to what made you fat will make you fat again. You can't out exercise a box of doughnuts.

Cardio? For most people that is activities of such low intensity that they can watch TV and not concentrate on what they are doing. To me that's a wast of time (I used to be a runner). Now I do metabolic conditioning like kettlebell swings, Turkish get-ups, calisthenics with rests short enough to keep my heart rate up, but heavy enough that there can be no distraction which is required for strength.

How heavy? What ever weight you can use with reps appropriate to your goal without going to failure (a rep or two left in your pocket). At our age, going to failure is an invitation to injury.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Late this spring, I attained my fat loss objective and found that I'd lost muscle mass too. Focus then changed to strength work 3 days/wk days and cardio (10-k walks, very brisk) on the off days. I'm hitting the weights rather hard - working to failure every set - to compensate for the limitations that my age (68) supposedly imposes.

I eat plenty and I eat clean, including at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, and BCAA supplements.

Muscle gains are happening slowly, but they are definitely happening. (I wasn't at all sure it would be possible.)

Go, boomers!
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    1) how heavy is safe for my age group,
    If you are sensible it's no more or less safe. Your progress will be slower and recovery will be slower so don't expect the same speed of results you would have had in your 20's. For me (in my 50's) the management of a lifetime of injuries and avoidance of new ones is the biggest factor in making progress. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to take deload weeks if feeling fatigued.
    I've found training in a pyramid style (decreasing reps, increasing weight) helps me avoid injury as I effectively get an exercise specific warmup.

2) how do I balance aerobics with the weights to build muscle and lose fat
    Aerobics (or cardio generally) isn't what loses the fat - that's your calorie deficit. With a heavy exercise workload you must fuel your exercise properly and if you are to have a chance of simultaneous fat loss/muscle gain you must have a small calorie deficit. Make sure you have an adequate protein intake too.
    I far prefer to split cardio and weights into different days as a general rule for quality of training. 3 x weights, 3 x cardio (mostly cycling for me), one day rest/recovery is my normal routine.

3) is swimming going to cut into my strength workout results?
    Why would it? Cardio doesn't burn muscle, muscle isn't a preferred energy source. Depending on intensity of your lifting and intensity of your swimming you may get some interference with recovery.

Do you change your workouts. If so how often.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You're probably not going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Generally, they require two different caloric needs. i.e. muscle growth needs a caloric surplus and fat loss requires a caloric deficit.

You should have a progressive overload as long as your form is correct. That is the most important thing. You don't want to over strain yourself, cause injury, or worse.

You can do aerobics and then weight training... or vice versa. Losing fat and building muscle at the same time? Probably not.

Swimming will only cut into your strength gains if you don't eat back your exercise calories.

Just... No.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/build-muscle-burn-fat-simultaneously.htm

Yes you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Will you pack on a lot of muscle mass consistently in a deficit no, but gains can be made.

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »

Yes you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Will you pack on a lot of muscle mass consistently in a deficit no, but gains can be made.

^^^This

I cannot begin to tell you how tired I am of hearing this same rubbish re-iterated over and over. YES you can gain lean mass and reduce body fat at the same IF your diet and training program is on point and inline with your goals. Will it be at the same rate as if you implemented a calorie surplus, no BUT IT CAN BE DONE.

OP regarding your question about how heavy is safe, as long as you maintain good exercise form with an appropriate program factoring in adequate rest and recovery lift as heavy as you can.

Swimming a couple of times a week is a great form of exercise and would only become a problem if you were swimming long distances, think triathlon/endurance athlete type training.

Cardio training should be used to aid fat loss in conjunction with your diet. Balancing it depends on what type, how many times a week and how long for.
  • arb037
    Options

^^^This

I cannot begin to tell you how tired I am of hearing this same rubbish re-iterated over and over. YES you can gain lean mass and reduce body fat at the same IF your diet and training program is on point and inline with your goals. Will it be at the same rate as if you implemented a calorie surplus, no BUT IT CAN BE DONE.

OP regarding your question about how heavy is safe, as long as you maintain good exercise form with an appropriate program factoring in adequate rest and recovery lift as heavy as you can.

Swimming a couple of times a week is a great form of exercise and would only become a problem if you were swimming long distances, think triathlon/endurance athlete type training.

Cardio training should be used to aid fat loss in conjunction with your diet. Balancing it depends on what type, how many times a week and how long for.

Right there with you, and its always the "same" culprits spreading misinformation based on nothing but opinion, and not fact based research..
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm also 64 - I lift lighter then I used to and higher reps - 10-12 sometimes 5x5. I used to lift low reps & heavy except for 20 rep squat runs. The lighter weight / higher reps are easier on my joints & I have some old injury issues. I use dumbells instead of a o bar must of the time for pressing & rows, easier on my shoulder. I don't run, Complexes are great for cardio, heavy or speed bag, or 20 rep squats - swimming sounds like a great idea - and yes, you can gain muscle after 60 yo , it's harder and I need longer recovery. Eastcoast Jim
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    join silver sneakers - you are old enough - call your gym
    join silver sneakers - you are old enough - call your gym

Understand those are local programs content and will vary. My 86 yo mother in law went to a gym that featured Silver Sneakers and she was mad that they treated everyone like they were old, swore she would not go back.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 been lifting for over 40 years. I had some setbacks in the last 6 years with 8 upper body surgeries and a week hospitalization and long recovery from sepsis. Feeling good now, getting stronger again.

I use free weights and stick to 5-10 reps, mainly compound exercises. My running is fairly limited as gaining strength is my main priority. I do kettlebell swings, sled pushing battle ropes, etc and long brisk walks for cardio at this point.

I am also concentrating on working on flexibility/mobility. I believe this is key along with the strength to be strong and active in old age.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

^^^This

It's what, a pound per month or two months if you're young and have the bodyfat to spare? If your testosterone isn't up to snuff anymore (for example, I don't know, if you're 64 years old) or if you're anywhere near lean, you're not going to build mass in any amount even worth mentioning. In a deficit instead of maintenance that is even more true as it goes opposite to your body's interests.
  • arb037
    Options

^^^This

It's what, a pound per month or two months if you're young and have the bodyfat to spare? If your testosterone isn't up to snuff anymore (for example, I don't know, if you're 64 years old) or if you're anywhere near lean, you're not going to build mass in any amount even worth mentioning. In a deficit instead of maintenance that is even more true as it goes opposite to your body's interests.

Heres a nice article describing a few of the criteria involved in gaining muscle while losing fat.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_muscle_gain_trick.htm
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A person with no formal education writing on bb.com and his only references is a graphic telling you of some studies that might say what he tells you or might actually be more conservative in their assertions (which is the case in 99% of these cases), is not very compelling evidence.
    The fact alone that there is no apparent water weight loss in some of the listed extreme low carb studies is eyebrow raising already.
    As I said, coffee enemas.