Hypothyroidism..

Options
I've just been diagnosed with this at the beginning of the year. Up until this point I've lost and then maintained pretty easily. It's such a struggle now though. I'm looking for some friends that are dealing with the same thing as I am.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I'm at a different point in the cycle, but just wanted to say this: You're at a difficult stage, but if you work closely with your doctor, getting your thyroid levels tested as medication dosage is adjusted (and you take it consistently and correctly), there's every reason to believe you'll once again be able to manage weight normally in the long run.

It can be a frustratingly slow process while it's happening, because your body takes quite some time to adapt to dosage changes, but stick with it & it'll happen.

I've been hypothroid since 2001. It's been under reasonable control for most of that time ( with blood tests every 6 months & *occasional* dosage changes even recently). I've lost 40 pounds since mid-April, exactly the same way non-hypothyroid people do. You'll get there.

Even as you're on the route to correct medication & dosages, you should find yourself increasingly able to lose again.

Hang in there - best wishes!
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You give me hope!!
  • rh684538
    rh684538 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I was recently diagnosed and am struggling to lose weight too
  • cvegas
    cvegas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I originally had Graves disease which caused my metabolism to run at the speed of lightening, I just had to think about losing weight and I did. But that was slowly killing me, I finally had my thyroid ablated which slowed my thyroid down drastically and I gained about 60 pounds in less than a year. I struggled for another year trying to lose weight only to become discouraged at slow to no progress and a lack of willpower.

The biggest change came when my endocrinologist decided to take me off generic thyroid medication and prescribed brand name - IT WAS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY! Apparently generic brands tend to be formulated poorly and can result in fluctuating levels. I didn't know I felt so run down until I started feeling normal again. My levels have been steady now for over a year, I have enough energy to walk 4 times a day and still have something left to do some cardio at the Gym. My eating habits are better but I still have a way to go. I have days where I cant say no to Mission BBQ's Mac & Cheese but I make sure to burn it off with a walk. I use My Fitness Pal to track every single thing I eat, and every work out to ensure I go to bed with a calorie deficit. Good Luck, keep monitoring your thyroid function levels, it is key to having the energy to exercise. Take baby steps, and don't get discouraged if the scale isn't telling you what you want to hear. Sometimes we lose inches before we lose pound.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    yes be patient. Everything seems to go a bit slower with hypothyroidism including vitamin absorption. In the beginning getting the correct medication levels is crucial to maintaining weight and having energy. Lots of us here. You are not alone.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed like 7 years ago, maybe more. It took some time to balance the meds, but I knew when I was off, I could feel it (this is rare). You can lose even as with the meds off, but it does make it harder. There are are so many other reasons too to get your levels even. I have Hashimoto's, which apparently is very common and genetic. Being adopted i have no idea. I do know that my other hormones were a mess which is why doctor tested thyroid to begin with. My main number was fine, but the 2 that go into keeping that number good were off. One was low the other was compensating and was really high. So just keep in mind that each one of us is different in how it effects our bodies.

I take generic Levoxyl, started with the brand, but my prescription plan moved me to generic. In that case no effect. I know people who tried Levoxyl and it didn't work they need Synthroid. With Synthroid the brand is better I hear.

I also worked for Roche pharmaceutical and I know that the reason the generic works different for some people is the other ingredients. In my case it rarely has an effect. However, for others it matters a lot.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Amillionsparkles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also have it. I am trying to stick to my calorie goal and honestly i don't exercise much because it makes me feel tired easily since i stopped my medication. I will soon start doing 30 day shred and other relaxing exercises and will start taking natural thyroid instead of the synthetic one. I heard its just as effective and doesn't even need prescription as its effect are not harmful. I'm hoping for the best... im sick of feeling tired, lazy, or not productive in doing my chores. Change must happen. Goodluck :) I will add you.
  • fannyfrost
    Options
    Be careful with natural remedies. I am not against them, but there are no regulations on the natural remedies. Herbs can be as harmful as drugs and since they aren't regulated can be even more dangerous since they are not required to be tested properly or report adverse effects.

I always Poison mushrooms are natural, but they will still kill you. All natural does not equal safe.
  • adamchalmers
    adamchalmers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The natural remedies are fine. Just make sure you go to a naturopathic doctor whose an expert at prescribing natural remedies. The FDA has approved drugs that have killed thousands of people because they're in bed with Big Pharma (who falsify the testing). The drug Vioxx comes to mind. I think it killed over 60,000 people if I'm not mistaken.

I know that Synthroid has been recalled twice by the FDA and it also has fillers like gluten and corn (a no-no if you have Hashimoto's or any auto-immune disease).

I agree that some herbs can be harmful if you don't know how to use them properly. As with anything, do your own research.

The best advice I have for Hashimoto's/Graves/Hypo/Hyper sufferers is to get your body's inflammation under control and that starts with repairing your gut, which makes up 75% of your immune system. My suggestion is to go to a naturopathic, integrated doctor, or holistic doctor who is certified in nutrition. Those are the folks who can get you the right supplements (including thyroid meds) to help beat these ailments. They can also test your blood for any food allergies.

Medical doctors don't get much in the way of science-based nutritional training in med school. That's why most will just say your blood test results are fine and then prescribe you a pill. Sound familiar?
  • fannyfrost
    Options
    @adamchalmers - I agree. FDA goes along with much of what comes out of big pharma, but having worked at one. No they are not in bed together at all. There are huge holes in the system. However, the people that work at the companies now must report things if anything is falsified because of what was done in the past. Generally overall when Money becomes more important than people there is a problem.

My way of saying that is make sure you get the right herbs and natural remedies. Finding the right balance is the way to go totally. I have a cousin who is only natural and almost killed her son at age 19 by not getting him the right treatment. He went a little crazy and she didn't take him to a phsychiatrist or anything. I am not saying that drugs were the answer, but in his case they missed the mark.

My real problem is that there is too much that is not accurate out there and big business is actually taking over the "all natural" market. My girlfriend is like its organic so no pesticides, actually that isn't true, no chemical pesticides, but natural ones can be dangerous to humans too. There are too many false claims out there and a kid died from Strep throat becuase parents didn't get the kid an antibiotic. There needs to be a balance between the 2 medicine is not all bad, and all natural is not all good.
  • adamchalmers
    adamchalmers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    fannyfrost wrote: »
    @adamchalmers - I agree. FDA goes along with much of what comes out of big pharma, but having worked at one. No they are not in bed together at all. There are huge holes in the system. However, the people that work at the companies now must report things if anything is falsified because of what was done in the past. Generally overall when Money becomes more important than people there is a problem.

My way of saying that is make sure you get the right herbs and natural remedies. Finding the right balance is the way to go totally. I have a cousin who is only natural and almost killed her son at age 19 by not getting him the right treatment. He went a little crazy and she didn't take him to a phsychiatrist or anything. I am not saying that drugs were the answer, but in his case they missed the mark.

My real problem is that there is too much that is not accurate out there and big business is actually taking over the "all natural" market. My girlfriend is like its organic so no pesticides, actually that isn't true, no chemical pesticides, but natural ones can be dangerous to humans too. There are too many false claims out there and a kid died from Strep throat becuase parents didn't get the kid an antibiotic. There needs to be a balance between the 2 medicine is not all bad, and all natural is not all good.

Ok.