joggging/running/walking only please!

Options
Hello everyone!
Well I already tried to post this once before and it didn't work. it was very lengthly too so it really made me mad when it didn't post! Anyhow, I will have to tell my story later but for now I just want support from all of those that run/jog/walk for fun. Share your stories, your Do's and Don'ts, your secrets, and any advice that you think would be beneficial. I am just starting out jogging again, I started last week and I am very slow at it. I am only jogging at about a 11.5 min mile pace at my fastest. Let's all motivate eachother to get active! I live in MN so in my opinion there is only about a fraction of the year that has weather that is enjoyable to jog in. I would love to hear of ways to help me enjoy it in the other colder fraction of the year! Thanks and add me as a friend to motivate and help eachother!

Replies

• thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My favorite tool for running is the runkeeper app for my phone! It tracks where you go, your elevation, calories burnt, speed, average speed, time, distance.... everything! If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend checking it out! Or, you can use their website to track your runs, too.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I currently learning to run. I am doing the C25k program and it is really working for me. I don't run really fast, but I am still working on distance. I figured distance first, rest will come soon after.
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I live in MN as well...and I don't do as much of the jogging as I do walking...But when it was too cold out or there was too much snow to go walking, I would go to the basement, crank some music and jog in place. Alot of people poo poo the whole jogging in place but I was able to work up a good sweat in Jan/Feb in a cold basement, get my heart rate up and burn some calories/carbs. I would finish up 40-45 minutes of the jogging in place and then do 2 sets each of 10 squats for my thighs, 10 push ups for the arms and upper body and then also 2 sets of 15 sit ups for the belly flab

I just was not prepared to spend the money on a treadmill or anything like that.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    My favoritebit of advice I ever have found is this:

PREVENTING SIDE CRAMPS:

When Exhaling, Land on your left foot. There is an old wives tale that states that when people run and land on thier right foot while exhaling it Jarrs the liver causing it to tense up, which causes the shooting pain along your sides,.
    To prevent this simply exhale when you land on your LEFT foot instead.

I don't know if it is really because exhaling and landing on your right foot really jars your liver or if it has more to do with regulating your breathing. But ever since I started Exhaling and landing on my LEFT foot, I have NEVER I repeat NEVER gotten a side cramp since.

BEST ADVICE I EVER GOT!
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    just started jogging/running about 2 weeks ago and i absolutely love it!!!! The only things that I have noticed that helps me is I breath in through my nose and out of my mouth and I always have to have gum in my mouth so my mouth stays moist (mostly because i don't like to bring a water bottle with me) The next thing i will be doing is getting a MP3 player to keep me motivated. When i first started i ran a mile in 20 min. and stopped alot...now i can run a mile in 9 min. without stopping!!!!! I have even started running 2 miles....the only suggestion that i can give you is slowly try to increase your time each time you run!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    just started jogging/running about 2 weeks ago and i absolutely love it!!!! The only things that I have noticed that helps me is I breath in through my nose and out of my mouth and I always have to have gum in my mouth so my mouth stays moist (mostly because i don't like to bring a water bottle with me) The next thing i will be doing is getting a MP3 player to keep me motivated. When i first started i ran a mile in 20 min. and stopped alot...now i can run a mile in 9 min. without stopping!!!!! I have even started running 2 miles....the only suggestion that i can give you is slowly try to increase your time each time you run!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My favorite tool for running is the runkeeper app for my phone! It tracks where you go, your elevation, calories burnt, speed, average speed, time, distance.... everything! If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend checking it out! Or, you can use their website to track your runs, too.

I use RunKeeper, as well, but mostly for cycling. I also use it when I walk, but I'm not much of a runner. My FASTEST mile is 14 min. :-/
  • raechelandsean
    raechelandsean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I live in ON, I just started jogging last April. I have done a 5k, and maybe I'll do a 10k this year. I run in the snow, rain whatever. It gets very cold here and I hate the cold, but I love running. I wish I starting running sooner, it gives me time to think, and I have never felt better. I run alone most of the time, sometime I convince my husband to join me. That’s a challenge! Over time you will be faster, just have fun with it. :)
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I live in Ohio, a bit south of you, but still pretty cold winters. I actually prefer to jog in late winter/early spring and late fall/early winter while it's still frosty but there's no snow or TRUE ice, cause it helps keep me cool.

The thing that helps me when I'm running is to remember that no matter how slow I am, I'm doing it. I set visual goals, as well. Like, last week I made it to that certain lightpost. This week, a mailbox even further, etc etc... It helps to see how far you've come.

The fact that you got up and went out the door is better than a lot of people are doing anymore. You're doing FANTASTIC. If I were on my own computer, I'd have a link to share here... Somebody blogged the "Top 20 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Running"...and every single one of them is true... I'll try to get it on here later today, unless she posts first!

Just keep it up. It DOES get easier. I'm on week...3 or 4. I wanted to give up week 1, but I pressed on and now I feel like crud when I DON'T go run. =) You'll be fantastic in no time!!! Just remember to breathe and NOT kill yourself by doing too much at once!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Share your stories, your Do's and Don'ts, your secrets, and any advice that you think would be beneficial.
    I'm a BIG fan (literally and figuratively) of the C25K (Couch to 5K) program. I'm slow, but tenacious. Here's a thread I started a while back, with some of my experiences/lessons learned, plus some great comments from others: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/245276-my-c25k-experience-so-far

I have three 5Ks under my belt now, the last being a mud/obstacle course (thedirtydash.com), plus two more already registered. It's been an incredibly fun experience.
    I live in MN so in my opinion there is only about a fraction of the year that has weather that is enjoyable to jog in.
    I'm in Utah. Not quite as nasty of winters as MN, but I hear ya. Interested to hear how others cope, since I caught the running bug in the spring.

Best of luck to you, sister!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You started better than I did. My miles were 13 minutes. I just keept trying to beat my time each week. I also had shin splints. I got me some New Balance sneakers, and made sure my feet were straight when they hit the floor. That helped a great deal. I can now do run 2.3 miles in 19 minutes. But I still hate doing it. I do love the results. Enjoy!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about your speed, just get the distance in, the rest will come eventually. It's about getting your legs used to working for longer periods of time.

I ran all through our cold winter here this past winter because I signed up for a 30K this past March. It made me run on those freezing cold days when I really didn't want to. If it wasn't for that race, I know I wouldn't have ran through the winter. It motivated me to get out there. The 30K distance scared me and I knew I had to get the training in or I wouldn't make it.
    I got used to the cold weather and the multiple layers quite quickly, and once I was out and moving, it wasn't so bad. Now I'm trying to adjust to the heat. I think I prefer the cold air. I was able to breathe so much better and I burned more calories.

I started running last spring and I'm aiming at a full marathon this fall. I've learnt a bit over the year, what to do and what not to do, but I'm no expert yet. I'm still learning, lots to learn! Feel free to add me if you like.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm a power walking and can hit 4.5mph when I'm in the zone. Average about 4mph, so would like to work towards maintaining a higher speed. I'm doing a half-marathon for charity this weekend, and since starting training I've lost 49 pounds. My hope is that by this time next year I'll be at goal weight, and averaging 4.5mph but hitting 5mph when I'm in the zone. I'd also like to start doing the C25K program over the summer. There's a free 5K parkrun every Saturday at a park quite close to me, and I'd love to give that a go!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm in Northeast PA, so we get nasty winters, but not as brutal as MN.

I started running with the C25K plan in December on the treadmill, moving outdoors once the weather broke. My first three races were in pretty darn cold weather (20s and 30s) and to be honest, they were a lot easier than the one I ran with temps in the 80s! So running in the cold doesn't scare me anymore, as long as the sidewalks aren't coated in snow and ice. :wink:

Although now that I've started running outside, I *HATE HATE HATE* the treadmill. It just feels so stifling and boring. The air doesn't move. And it feels like time doesn't move, either. :laugh:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem; I live in the desert and the temps are now in the 100s. I wish it were cooler here. I'd rather run at temps near freezing because running keeps me warm. :)

I've started getting up at around 5am, just as the sun is rising, to run. It's still in the high 60s at that time of day. Unfortunately, in a few weeks, it won't get down below 75° at all but at least at 5am, the sun isn't so brutal. I'm debating joining the gym located at my company's main site to use the treadmills before work.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far! Especially the breathing one and getting side cramps. I did get side cramps alot and have experimented with trying to not get any. I had found that breathing out on the left foot really does help because the liver on the opp. side of your body has ligaments that pull down which affect your diaphragm. I did my first 5k last Nov. It was negative 18 degrees out. And it was HORRIBLE!! I felt awesome afterward but literally, how can you breathe with that air? It is nice to have cold air to run in instead of unbearable hotness, but the truth is, when it's cold outside, your limbs don't really warm up at all. Your core is super hot, but your legs and arms are still tingly from being so cold outside. The other factor that makes me leery of running in the cold is the snow and ice factor. I'm sure I would be fine, but I would hate to fall down an injure myself. There are basically non existant sidewalks during the winter because people don't plow like I wish they would. So it's the side of the road for most of us! Which I am totally fine with too but you never know with the weather how people will drive. I have to have music motivating me. Does anyone else need this necessity to run? I would love to live without it but it seems to me when I hear how hard I'm panting it makes me want to slow down. What are your thoughts??!!!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    HI There! I totally support your enthusiasm to get out there and walk/jog etc.

I am kinda new to running too. My husband had to show me how to properly run!!! :laugh:

Right now I briskly walk/jog. I really like doing it and it really gets my heart rate up. I'd love to learn more and excel. My ultimate goal is to get involved in a run/walk/marathon of some sort. Start small of course, but one day get there.

Great to meet you and Good Luck! I will add you :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have to have music motivating me. Does anyone else need this necessity to run? I would love to live without it but it seems to me when I hear how hard I'm panting it makes me want to slow down. What are your thoughts??!!!

That makes me laugh, mostly because I hate hearing how ragged my breathing gets, too! I like music because it gives me something to focus on besides my own thoughts. I don't need to harp on the issues in my life while I run or think about the fact that I am running. I have a playlist of only fast tempo songs on my iPod. They help to keep my pace up while I'm running.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I know a few of you already posted on what kind of tracker you use, but how about everyone else? I use the app called jogstats on my phone. It seems to work for me so far because it keeps track how far I've ran through GPS along with calories burned, plus if you have a twitter or facebook account you can post your stats. It is also good at showing you a map of where you've gone on your run and may help in discovering new trails that you are not aware of. I wish the map is able to be shown while you run but unfortunately it is not. Since I don't have an Iphone or Blackberry (I have a palm pixie) it works for me. It also can tell you wha your average pace is, and what your fastest and slowest speeds were and where.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper - the website, not the app - because it's what my friends use and it's fun to compare our activities. But I like the mapping features on mapmyrun.com a little better.