Feeling guilty

Options
I have an 18 month old and 4 month old. I feel bad if I workout while they're up and that I should be spending time with them. But by time they're down, I'm exhausted from the day. Any tips/suggestions?

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    From experience, you should try and make some time for yourself. I know its difficult to not spend as much time as possible with your little ones, but usually you both will benefit from your "you" time. If your circumstances make it difficult to work out ( no sitter etc) try at home exercising while they're napping or playing. (I realize a 4mo old is likely not playing much..but you get the idea lol) I have a three year old now, at times its difficult to exercise..But I work with what I have. Its always fun practising yoga and your child comes up to you while in an awkward position like a shoulder stand..."what ya doing mommy?" ..trying not to fall buddy. Anyhow, do what you can! :-) hope this helps.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Now is a good time to learn how to NOT put everyone else first. My children are full grown, out of the house, with families of their own. So I know where your head is right now. NOW is the time for the 18 month old to learn how to entertain him/herself for 30 minutes where you can see him/her. The baby is most likely napping a couple times a day. Take advantage of the time you have. It will help you in SO many ways. The biggest one is that you will have more energy to take care of them. And it sets a wonderful, healthy example. They will both grow up knowing that exercise is just a part of life, and that when it's "mommy time" they have to respect that. I promise you, doing it now will help set the tone for the rest of your, and their, lives. In such a good way!
  • BrickFox
    BrickFox Posts: 61 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are 24 hours in a day. It's ok to commit to 30-45 minutes of exercise a day, especially since one of the main benefits of it is to extend your life, which will give you more time to spend with your children.

Don't feel bad, do what you can do, even if it's 15 minutes a day.
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bailz07 wrote: »
    I have an 18 month old and 4 month old. I feel bad if I workout while they're up and that I should be spending time with them. But by time they're down, I'm exhausted from the day. Any tips/suggestions?

I have Had that feeling for so long until just recently when my son went on a month vacation with his father and I was forced to be alone. After he came back I realized how nice it was having my own time and my own schedule. After my son came back I've found a balance between being a wife, a student, losing weight and being a mother.
    Most of the day me and my son are together anyway and we play a lot so when I take that 2 hours for myself I don't feel guilty. I usually take my school work to the park with me and study for a few hours while he plays so by the time we get home he's ready to eat and chill out while I exercise and that always works well for us. The other thing I do is giving him some activity to focus on while I exercise so that he's not bored waiting for me. The last kind of suggestion is I put him to sleep and then I go to exercise while he's down. The other alternative ( never works well for me) is to exercise in the morning before kiddo gets up. Unfortunately my treadmill is loud and wakes him up not too long after.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Bailz07 wrote: »

Are you a single parent? If not, then remind yourself they need bonding time with both parents. Taking 1 hour off for yourself is good for everyone.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The best gift you can give them is a healthy parent. Exercise when they are awake.
    When they sleep, you sleep.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    There are mommy and me workouts on the internet that use your babies as weights. I also had a double stroller and took my kids on long walks. You can also play ball rolling and catching games with your 18 month old. You can do squats to pick up the ball each time. Also you should never feel guilty about taking a little me time. It makes you a better mom.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One of my parenting goals is teaching my daughter that the world does not revolve around her. Me taking time by myself to exercise helps with that. There's absolutely no need for her to think that my every waking moment must be devoted to catering to her needs or wants.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My daughter is now 21, I was a working mom and I worked out. I do not feel I missed anything and she doesn't either. I set an example for her to be her own person and not dependent on any one else. I taught her by example that she is just as important as those around them.

That being said, I incorporated her in my exercise and workouts. Kids can really get you moving if you let them help. I used to chase her around, use her as a weight, play peak a boo by jumping from behind something. Chase her around playing monster, do lunges pushing her on the swing. It may be harder with 2 that close in age (and yes tired is for sure), but if you think about just making life active and fun it will change things.

When my daughter was older I taught her to jump in when I jumped rope. She got me jumping rope for like 20 to 30 minutes sometimes :) We also went for walks, pushing the carriage when she was little then walking together. It is good exercise, sets an example and can be a time for learning for the kids (point out stuff) and talk. Actually going for walks is some of the fondest memories my daughter has. We also walked to a lot of places instead of driving it was great for both of us.