I love my wine!!!!

Options
I live near wine country and amazing wines are everywhere. I am especially into white these days. I am trying to only have a few glasses on the weekends. I try to calorie count it but it's hard. Any suggestions? And do you think wine has a significant effect on losing weight?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    What's hard? Counting calories or limiting yourself?

Wine's calories are no different from any other calories as far as losing weight. Wine probably isn't as filling as many other things and might lead to poor eating choices.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Limiting myself!!!!
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of pinot noir most evenings...just simply budget the calories accordingly. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Limiting myself!!!!
    Decide what's more important: the wine or your goals. It's pretty much a question of priorities, imo.

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Trying to have only a few glasses on the weekends? Sounds like you are maybe not limiting in the way you would like. Trying to calorie count? There is counting, or there is no counting :) Solution? Figure in how ever many oz of wine you want to drink in a given day first and log it. Then plan around those calories ... pay attention to getting enough protein & fat, and be mindful that after a few glasses of wine, an ensuing WTH mindset can over-ride you calorie plan for the day. My personal experience with wine or any alcohol is that I experience not only WTH mindset but an increased desire for fast-digesting carb-y foods that can add a LOT of calories in a short time.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Limiting myself!!!!
    Decide what's more important: the wine or your goals. It's pretty much a question of priorities, imo.

^^This. I've had to face that fact lately, and it's not so appetizing (no pun intended).

• Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like my wine too. I budget for it as much as I can, meaning I'll try to eat at a (slight) deficit one day in the weekend and allow myself a (few) glass(es) ;-) of the silly grape juice. It usually pushes me over my calorie limit, but I've decided I'm ok with that and willing to live with the consequences (i.e. smaller and slower weight losses). Some people would refer to it as a 'cheat' day; I prefer not to. I just look at it as adopting a way of eating and drinking that works for me in the long run. I know I won't succeed if I feel deprived. This won't work for everyone, but for me it's made sticking to my nutritional goals that much easier.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Nice to know I'm not alone.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I plan for my wine (and beer) and fit it into my calories.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calories if you enjoy it. I've switched from drinking less wine but better quality and saving it for special occasions or when I really want some. Here I mean when I would really enjoy a glass of wine rather than pouring a big glass of wine after a bad day.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

+1 This, and I try to stick to reds--less sugar.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not a drinker - In fact, I don't really like alcohol but if I have to drink anything on a rare night out, it'll be wine. The other night I went out with a friend and logged 3 glasses of white wine - 550 calories! The amount of calories alone put me off! Ha :)

That said, you can definitely continue to enjoy alcohol if you plan for it. If you know you are going to be drinking a few glasses of an evening, have a smaller lunch and reduce any snacking so you have those 'wine calories' saved! :)
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like my wine, too. I also love a scotch and Coke, which is even worse.
    Times past when I've been restricting calories I've added the wine calories in, without going over my calorie budget.
    But I don't need it, and I could cut my calorie budget a little more without it. So I've decided to cut it out entirely until I get the fat under control a little better, then only have a couple glasses on Saturday, and I will count the calories.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I like my wine, too. I also love a scotch and Coke, which is even worse.
    Times past when I've been restricting calories I've added the wine calories in, without going over my calorie budget.
    But I don't need it, and I could cut my calorie budget a little more without it. So I've decided to cut it out entirely until I get the fat under control a little better, then only have a couple glasses on Saturday, and I will count the calories.

Maybe Scotch and Coke Zero then?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

^^ This is what I do too!!
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I used to say "my sanity is more important than rapid weight loss". But then I didn't lose. At all. I gained. A LOT! So one day my mindset changed and now weight loss seems to be more important than my "sanity". So, I stopped drinking wine during the week. The first couple of weeks it was really hard, but I was drinking pretty much a bottle a day. That's a lot of extra calories. Now, on wineday...Um, I mean Friday, I will drink a bottle and I'll log it. Yes, I'm way over on my calories for that day, but now it's only 1 day a week and not 7. Sometimes I'll drink it on Saturday too. But no matter what, come Monday morning, no more! I'm down 11lbs since I started doing that...Just sayin'...lol
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oh man do I love my wine! Every Saturday night I have a date with my Sauvignon Blanc. I sometimes use this wine glass to watch my calories, but most times I just budget for half the bottle :smile: r41u0z21s4q1.jpeg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I log it, and fit it into my day. Lost ~30 lbs with at least a glass a day, now that I'm maintaining I have 2 glasses most days. I usually can fit in sweets too. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I drink wine almost every day. It didn't stop me from losing almost 30 lbs, though I suppose I might have lost faster without the wine.