beans

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Goodness gracious beans are fine, even from a can. I've made refried beans and white chilli from my pinto beans, and both are very satisfying.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,867 Member
    Options
    They could have BPA or other chemicals so maybe that's a concern, as well as sodium. But overall, just rinse them and you should be fine to eat them.

Several of the "health food" companies (e.g. Eden) that sell no-salt canned beans also have BPA-free cans. But these do cost more than either salty/BPA ones, or homemade from dry beans.

It's easy to cook a whole big batch of dry ones, portion them, and freeze for later.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I want to have pinto beans are can stuff ok to have.

Absolutely! Canned beans are a wonderfully convenient way to get this super nutrition food.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks i just asked bc some say canned stuff is not good and try to get fresh stuff
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Maybe I'll try doing a big batch that way and freeze them, but they better defrost and reheat in a hurry or I'll abandon that and stick with canned!

Frozen beans do defrost and reheat in a hurry! They're very quick in a microwave - slower on the hob in a pot, but only a few minutes so it's grand.
    I cook batches of all types of beans - soya beans, pinto beans, black-eyed beans, kidney beans, black turtle beans, chickpeas - by soaking dried ones overnight in a big bowl, and then simmering them for as long as the packet says, next day.
    When cooked, I weigh 125g portions, put them in little bags and freeze each one. A typical bag of 500g dried beans yields 8 to 10 portions of 125g when cooked. Totally worth the small hassle of cooking - and it's no hassle at all if you like cooking!

Lately I've been making homemade baked beans using cannellini beans, and mushy peas using marrowfat peas, and freezing those in portions too. I basically haven't bought a canned bean in months!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks i just asked bc some say canned stuff is not good and try to get fresh stuff

That doesn't work with most beans though. Except for things like edamame, sugar snap peas, snow peas, string beans and things like that, your choices are going to be dried beans or canned. Canned beans just means someone has already done the lengthy cooking process for you. They are not less nutritious than buying dried and coooking them yourself.

But even other canned vegetables are not necessarily less nutritious than fresh. What passes for fresh in the produce section at the grocery store may have less nutrients than canned or frozen produce.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    A lot of the canned beans have a ton of sodium in them. Just sayin in case you're one of the worlds population that is drastically affected hypertension wise with sodium. :smile:

That's the down side. I like beans, but have yet to find canned stuff that is low sodium. And since I'm often an impulse type of person, soaking beans and the extra prep time just usually wouldn't be in the cards. Maybe I'll try doing a big batch that way and freeze them, but they better defrost and reheat in a hurry or I'll abandon that and stick with canned!

Goya, Eden, and several store brands make a no salt added canned bean.

Bush's makes reduced sodium: http://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/products/reduced-sodium
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you can do fresh, then do fresh
    but if you don't have the inclination for fresh, canned is fine