In college, sick of ramen noodles

Options
RaijinPapi
RaijinPapi Posts: 47 Member
I am in college. I live off campus so I don't have a meal plan. For breakfast I am fine, oatmeal, eggs, cereal, French toast. However, for lunch and dinner I find myself having to eat noodles or rice. I don't know what to buy for that time. Chicken is good but it only lasts 2 days for like $5 and I don't have that luxury. What are some recipes?

Replies

• RaijinPapi
    Options
    I am in college. I live off campus so I don't have a meal plan. For breakfast I am fine, oatmeal, eggs, cereal, French toast. However, for lunch and dinner I find myself having to eat noodles or rice. I don't know what to buy for that time. Chicken is good but it only lasts 2 days for like $5 and I don't have that luxury. What are some recipes?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need the chicken. Your diet lacks protein it seems like.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You can get canned chicken and tuna for cheap. They are precooked so you don't need to heat them up if you don't want. You can make chicken or tuna salad with those. You can also improve your ramen by adding veggies, egg, or meat. Buy frozen veggies which are cheaper and last longer. Buy a tube of ground beef or turkey, separate it into individual portions, and freeze. You can thaw them one at a time for a dinner.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Brown rice keeps good for just about 7 days (taste as fresh reheated as the first day, as long as you place it in a sealed plastic or glass container) you can get frozen chicken breast which is a bit cheaper... freezer bags do wonders, I buy pork chops and season and separate them in freezer bags - defrost cook and go... there are options, you just have to prep a lil ahead of time
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Beans, cheap protein source and tons of things to do with them.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Maybe try buying somethings that have multiple uses. That way they work for more than one meal and can taste very different depending on how you use it. Examples:

Flour tortillas can be used to make wraps, tacos, burritos, breakfast tacos, as pizza crust, quesadillas.

Turkey breakfast sausage can be used for breakfast loose in eggs or as a patty, use it in pasta sauce for spaghetti, use it on pizza, use in mexican dishes, use it in stir fries ( great with greenbeans and soy sauce). Here is an inside out egg roll recipe. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html

I often buy chicken and bake or poach(sometimes I buy a rotisserie chicken). I will eat it hot that night then use the leftovers in a ton of ways. Add BBQ sauce for sandwiches or baked potatoes, make chicken salad, use in soup, use in salads, use in tacos, etc.

I hope this helps. It just takes time to decide what works for you. Good luck in your search.
  • mick1988burrows
    mick1988burrows Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken, you can pick up a kg for cheap.. Just take out what you need and cook it the night before . Pop some chicken and vegetables in a sandwich box and your good to go for college the next day.
  • mick1988burrows
    mick1988burrows Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken, you can pick up a kg for cheap.. Just take out what you need and cook it the night before . Pop some chicken and vegetables in a sandwich box and your good to go for college the next day.

Protein supplements are handy , especially when your at college and you find it hard to fit food in , I used to have a protein shake with an
    apple when I was at college at one of my breaks..

For dinner I sometimes made chicken salad sandwiches with lighter than light mayo for the flavour on whole wheat bread. Tuna pasta , rice etc the list goes on lol ..

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your budget? You say $5 for two days is a luxury, so what can you afford? Are there other expenses you could be cutting so you can eat more "normal" meals?
    Rice, beans, lentils, pasta are usually cheap options, especially if you buy in bulk.
    Lentils and beans will also give you some protein, because there is no way you are going to survive on noodles alone.
    And you need to budget for vegetables and fruit, impossible to stay health long term without any.
    Have you looked for bargains in frozen things? Frozen mixed veggies, frozen chicken or fish?
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    i really like beans. Try getting a package of 15 bean soup.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned beans for protein which I second. Also, lentils...they are quite tasty and also have protein. Cook some up, throw some spices on it and mix it into your rice along with some veggies and you'll have a pretty balanced meal. Sound slike you definitely need more veggies too!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Get a crockpot and make yourself up a nice batch of chili. It's great by itself, on baked potatoes, mixed with mac and cheese or quinoa and veggies, over scrambled eggs and even salad. Won't break the bank to make and a batch can go a long way.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    RaijinPapi wrote: »
    Wait, you don't have the luxury of spending $1.25/meal on chicken? (going off how you said 5 dollars worth of chicken lasts 2 days for lunch and dinner)
    If that's truly the case then you need to pick up a part time job. As a college student you definitely have time for one. I was able to work 24 hours a week when going to school full time and maintain a good GPA when I was a student a few years ago.
  • zikarra
    zikarra Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I really recommend you try tofu or similar - lupine seitan has 30g of protein per 100g and dried soy chunks around 20g - you just need to marinade it . I chuck in some fried tofu flavored with teriyaki sauce,7 spices,pepper with almost all my meals for the protein and something to "chew" . Consistency is close to sometimes potatoes or chicken and it just takes whatever flavor you put it with. Even my boyfriend who is huge on all kinds of meat likes my tofu dishes. Chickpeas and lentils are also very versatile and have around 14g of protein/100g.
  • RaijinPapi
    Options

Do you have "chicken" money? Because I don't. I barely make rent
  • RaijinPapi
    Options
    Define cheap. My budget for one month on food is $30
  • vball1121
    vball1121 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you living in a dorm or a house? Frozen food is key. I'd get a pack of chicken in college, freeze it, and thaw 2 breasts the day before. I'd usually eat with rice, beans, and frozen veggies and all were pretty affordable.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    RaijinPapi wrote: »

Do you have "chicken" money? Because I don't. I barely make rent

Food costs money, man. If you are just barely making rent without feeding yourself adequately, you need to look at either how much you are spending on rent or how much you're making between work and student loans. Last resort, check into welfare or food shelves. If you're really that hard up that you can't buy chicken, rethink your situation.

• charleykayesmom
    charleykayesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You may not want to hear this but you can find some pretty amazing stuff at food pantries. Sometimes even things like protein bars are donated. Worth taking a look at if you are struggling. You definitely need to be eating more protein. Do you have an Aldi's or ruler foods near you? I eat a clean diet with 45% of it being protein and I get all of my groceries at Aldi' super cheap. You can get bags of frozen chicken breasts or tubes of ground turkey very reasonable. They have great produce too. Message me and we can chat about some of the things I make! I think I can help you!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Google, low cost healthy recipes. There are plenty on line.