Weight gain?

Options
I have lost 46 lbs in the past 17 months. I've done this by eating right (1200-1400 calories and monitoring my macros), drinking tons of water, and working out twice a day (one of those being Crossfit).
However, in the last 2 weeks, I have gained 5 lbs. I know that doesn't seem like much to most, but I am confused since I am doing everything exactly like I've done for 17 months. I still eat 1200 - 1400 calories, drink only water (or unsweet tea), work out once during the day (Crossfit) and run in the evenings (preparing for a 5k). The only thing I can see that is different is I have let my protein values slip. My dairy is open for you to see.
I weigh my foods using a digital scale and use a Fitbit. My Fitbit says that my 28-day average calories burned is 1,968.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Should I be eating more?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Eating more isn't going to get rid of five extra pounds.

There are numerous things that could cause weight gain; this isn't necessarily fat gain. Two weeks really isn't long enough to make a judgment. Unless you're eating 1250 extra calories a day, it's going to be random fluctuations, hormones, sodium, water retention, etc.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight regardless of your macro's :)
    The body does funny things sometimes and it looks as though you've got the exercise and healthy eating down - well done! You are doing nothing wrong! Nothing at all :)

I'd say you are either experiencing water weight or it's a hormonal change, either way - I reckon it's temporary and nothing to worry about. Carry on doing what you are doing and hang in there! Give it another couple of weeks and if there is more of a gain, I'd suggest speaking to your doctor just to see if he/she can pinpoint anything medically causing it! Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If your protein values have slipped but you've kept the same total calories, I am going to guess that your carb intake has increased. Carbs tend to help you retain water, which means that you get a bit more water weight with them.

Other than that, sodium may be the culprit as well. Increased sodium (especially when coupled with increased carbs, in my experience) can help you retain more water. I've found that the sodium/carb combo can result in water weight gain that takes a couple of weeks to go away.
  • tsawrie
    tsawrie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I might add that I have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed 20+ years ago. I have always been monitored by my regular dr but I have an appointment scheduled for November to see an Endocrinologist.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you had blood work done for your thyroid levels? Are you currently on thyroid medication?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    tsawrie wrote: »
    I have lost 46 lbs in the past 17 months. I've done this by eating right (1200-1400 calories and monitoring my macros), drinking tons of water, and working out twice a day (one of those being Crossfit).
    However, in the last 2 weeks, I have gained 5 lbs. I know that doesn't seem like much to most, but I am confused since I am doing everything exactly like I've done for 17 months. I still eat 1200 - 1400 calories, drink only water (or unsweet tea), work out once during the day (Crossfit) and run in the evenings (preparing for a 5k). The only thing I can see that is different is I have let my protein values slip. My dairy is open for you to see.
    I weigh my foods using a digital scale and use a Fitbit. My Fitbit says that my 28-day average calories burned is 1,968.
    Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Should I be eating more?

Fat is not gained that quickly, unless in that time period you ate 3,500 calories x 5 over your two week period. In your posing, you sound much too serious and dedicated to go on a binge like that. :)

Have you allowed MFP to calculate a new calorie goal for every 10 pounds lost? If not, you need to because as we get smaller we need less calories.

That said, what's your sodium intake like? Have you increased exercise? These can create water retention.

Could be natural weight fluctuation too.

Try to be patient too. Weight loss is not linear. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    tsawrie wrote: »
    I might add that I have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed 20+ years ago. I have always been monitored by my regular dr but I have an appointment scheduled for November to see an Endocrinologist.

Oooohhhhh. Glad you're going to the doctor. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If your protein values have slipped but you've kept the same total calories, I am going to guess that your carb intake has increased. Carbs tend to help you retain water, which means that you get a bit more water weight with them.

Other than that, sodium may be the culprit as well. Increased sodium (especially when coupled with increased carbs, in my experience) can help you retain more water. I've found that the sodium/carb combo can result in water weight gain that takes a couple of weeks to go away.

This is good too. Carbs do make us retain water.
  • tsawrie
    tsawrie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Binge? NO! Binge for me is spaghetti on Friday night before a race on Saturday.
    I will check to see if anything new that I've been eating has more sodium that I suspected.
    I need to have MFP recalculate, I guess. I just knew that 1200 calories was as low as I needed to go.
    Here are my numbers for one month:
    Waist - increase 1/2 inch
    Abs - increase 1/2 inch
    Hips - increase 1/2 inch
    Body fat - increase from 28.3 to 29.4
    BMI - increase from 27.1 to 27.4

I might add that I take 7 Omega 3's a day and recently started taking a probiotic (constipation due to hypothyroidism). Still not having a regular BM (btw).