Quick calorie question

Options
Hi,

I've worked out how many calories I should be having a day on a online calculator (1950) but I'm struggling to hit my calories. I'm having good sized portion meals & I'm having snacks but with the daily exercise I have quite a few left - do I just force something down for the sake of using up the calories or do I lower my calorie goal ?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you've hit your micronutrient targets, there's no harm in having a couple of treats like ice cream or cake etc.

Keep your calorie intake where it's at - it's fine.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    have you been losing weight faster then expected, to a point you are worried? if not, then you are fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've worked out how many calories I should be having a day on a online calculator (1950) but I'm struggling to hit my calories. I'm having good sized portion meals & I'm having snacks but with the daily exercise I have quite a few left - do I just force something down for the sake of using up the calories or do I lower my calorie goal ?

Thanks in advance :)

This on-line calculator.....TDEE less a percent? How did you figure exercise calories? HRM, machine, on-line estimator? It's all estimates.

If you are consistently under calories then plan better. Add some calorie dense options during the day: nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, full fat dairy.

If this is a once in awhile thing....not a big deal. Plenty of people "bank" calories for another day.

• louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, no I haven't been losing weight faster than I'm aiming for (0.5 - 1lb a week) I just read so much on here about making sure you have enough calories ect

I don't necessarily want to eat the mars bar that's in the cupboard but I'd have forced (ha yeah right) it down if hitting my calories was that important.

Yeah I just wanted a rough guide, I knew there wasn't going to be a really accurate way of doing it online, there was a link on here to a website where you entered some details and it worked it out for you based on your current weight, goal weight and activity level. If it was 200/300 calories out I wouldn't be questioning it but its 600/700 out on most days (granted it was more like 1000 yesterday due to having a half marathon).
  • vball1121
    vball1121 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Food like peanut butter which are high in calorie but have some good fats and other nutritional benefits are great. I just add them to bananas, and even eat a spoonfull before/after a work out.
  • louiseshaw88
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter but I think I'll try and incorporate some into my diet :) thanks x
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, first are you using a food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. If I'm reading your post right, you are feeling full and losing half a pound per week at @ 1,300 calories and that doesn't seem accurate. At your age and with all the exercise calories you are earning, I would think you would be hungry and losing quickly with that little food.

When I went from measuring cups and trusting that a single serve item was the size they said it was, to using a food scale, I discovered I was easily eating 300-400 cals a day more than I thought!

Regardless, if you are losing @ half a pound per week, you are not eating too little. Your numbers might be off, but if the weight is moving at a healthy rate, you don't have to worry about forcing yourself to eat more :)
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Don't eat crap just because you want to fulfill a caloric goal. I started off not feeling hungry but that didn't last long at all. So this may only be temporary so cherish those moments. Also make sure the amount you burn when you exercise are truly what they are. If they are, maybe cut back a bit.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    As someone already said if you hit your macros you can fill with carbs fats whatever.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you hit the 1950 but have some left over because of exercise, you don't have to eat those calories back. If you're under 1950 even before exercise, that's okay (as long as you're not, like, 800 calories below that).

Try incorporating a protein shake or some yogurt with your healthy snacks if you really want to add in "good" calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    All those online calculators already include exercise calories, so you shouldn't eat them back. Don't enter your exercise on MFP as it automatically adds it up... or enter it in daily notes instead.
  • louiseshaw88
    Options
    Yup I'm really accurate with the food weights and even carry my scales with me when I go out just in case ha

I've started drinking more water this week so it could be when my body gets used to feeling full off the water it'll allow me to take in more good calories in snacks (if needs be)

I don't feel like I do lots of exercise maybe an hour a day walking with the dog and upto 10 miles every other day (depending on my mood !). I also do weight training with my pt 3 times a week. I'm definitely going to try and have a scoop of protein powder in my morning smoothies thanks for the suggestion.

I like to see the calories go in to MFP after exercise its like a visual reward which keeps me motivated, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions I really appreciate it :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say - 'bank' your calories for an indulgence at the weekend (for example)!

Sometimes I struggle to hit my daily allowance - sometimes I am under by around 80 -100, so instead of forcing myself to needlessly eat something, I save it. Once I get to Saturday morning, I can back 7 days - add up all the days I was under and use it for an extra yummy treat ontop of my 1500 for Saturday! :D
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    That's easy....add healthy fats.
  • Boywonder51bix
    Boywonder51bix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal for each day is 1500. But I managed to get 1400. Which was perfect for me. Hope that helps ?