Are 1000 Calorie diets really bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Omnomlala
    Omnomlala Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If this helps with perspective, I just had a gastric bypass conversion and I still eat 1,100-1,400 calories a day. I was expected to eat 700-800 my first few weeks after surgery. It would be pretty crazy for someone to try to maintain that forever, unless (like other people said) there are "rare" circumstances.

This isn't scientific at all (TDE and whatever else are better ways to determine how many calories you need) but my doctor once gave me a general rule of eating your healthy/ideal weight x10. If you are short and a healthy weight for your body is like 110, fine. Eat 1,100 calories. If you're 5'6 like me, 140 or 150 is a pretty healthy weight, and you might eat 1,400 or 1,500 calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Omnomlala wrote: »
    If this helps with perspective, I just had a gastric bypass conversion and I still eat 1,100-1,400 calories a day. I was expected to eat 700-800 my first few weeks after surgery. It would be pretty crazy for someone to try to maintain that forever, unless (like other people said) there are "rare" circumstances.

This isn't scientific at all (TDE and whatever else are better ways to determine how many calories you need) but my doctor once gave me a general rule of eating your healthy/ideal weight x10. If you are short and a healthy weight for your body is like 110, fine. Eat 1,100 calories. If you're 5'6 like me, 140 or 150 is a pretty healthy weight, and you might eat 1,400 or 1,500 calories.

I hate those formulas, since they don't account for activity. I'm 125 with a goal of 118, but I wouldn't do well on 1200 and can lose on much, much more.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sfty wrote: »
    Hello All,

So I have been battling this issue for- well pretty much my whole life.
    I have always been slender with a good amount of muscle but some recent weight gain has caused a little bit of jiggle in all the wrong areas. I am not a huge meat fan. I like Chicken- that's about it, so I have typically always eaten right around 1000 calories. Not because I am starving myself but I simply can't keep shoving veggies down. I don't feel tired and I exercise regularly but I feel like a diet is useless if you can't adapt it to fit your life in the long run. I think I have noticed that there are two successful ways to diet. For me I have no taste, I just love to mindlessly eat. I could sit down and eat 3 baked zucchinis. So I eat a lot of low cal foods. Other people have cravings, so they learn portion control by eating small amounts with no restrictions of what they can eat. I feel like I have no self control in this sense because obviously I haven't been eating as many carbs like bread and noodles and I love bread and noodles :C

Yes, 1000 calories is considred a very low calorie diet. 1200 is the least amount recommended for women, but eating more and still loseing weight while staying in a deficit is ideal.

If you have gained weight, you did not do so on 1,000 calories or less. You ate above maintenance if you gained.

If you are currnetly eating 1,000 calories to lose weight, you need to eat more to properly fuel your body and to get all your nutrients you need.

Slow and easy is the name of the game because it's more sustainable in the long run.

If you are not overeight even after gaining a few pounds, you might look into body recomp.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Are you bedridden, older, female, and exceptionally short?

OP, unless any of these things apply to you, you didn't gain 20 lbs by eating 1000 calories a day.

You're eating more than you think you are.

Do you use a food scale?