Opinions on taking pre-workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just eat some peanut butter on a banana about an hour before... Does the trick for me. My heart rate is fast enough as it is I'm not trying to explode on the elliptical lol

• charleykayesmom
    charleykayesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use the new all natural Energize from Beachbody. It amps up my workout, especially if I workout early in the morning! And I love that I get a discount on it! It improves intense exercise performance, increases energy and endurance, and sharpens focus and reaction time. There are no artificial colors, flavors, sweetners or preservatives.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I took some of my boyfriends once and never again. I started to feel a little light headed when I was squatting so I sat down for a out 10 minutes. Still felt bad so I took my heart rate which was 220. I have a very high caffeine tolerance and the amount of caffeine in the PW wasn't more than I regularly consume so I am not sure what was in it but my body did not like. I felt like poop for about 2 hours.
  • vball1121
    vball1121 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message asking some questions, some of these suggestions are a little "intense" for beginners/my liking, and I've tried a lot of stuff. Feel free to add me!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do take pre-workout because I'm up at 6:30 am and done at around 8 pm (class and work) and then have homework/studying until around 10, then hit the gym right after so my energy and focus is usually draining out at this point. I don't ALWAYS need it, but I do on harsher days and it does wonders for getting into the gym when you are really exhausted from a long day.
    Also whenever I take it for a morning workout, it really helps to wake me up as I get out of bed and head to the gym.

Test your tolerance for whichever powder you use and try not to exceed the recommended scoop amount.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love pre-workouts, caffeine is a solid/safe fat burner too. I take mine before a long run or strength training, works great for both. I use whatever I find on sale. 1.M.R Vortex is pretty good. Taking that now. Start with teh minimum.
  • kev6686
    kev6686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't use them, I believe it's more of a placebo effect than anything else. But if you feel it works for you, fair play!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Before taking a pwo I would fix your diet and rest/recovery first to address the low energy issue.

Agreed, and this is why beginners shouldn't be taking them. Fix your diet (which can take months of trial and error), find the workout you like enough to stick to it (which can take a year or more), find your workout rhythm (ditto), make some progress, and THEN you can start supplementing to see what works for you.

As a beginner, you'll never know what's working, what's doing nothing, and what's holding you back or causing negative effects.

This isn't a sprint; it's a marathon. Give your new, healthy lifestyle a year (or 3) before supplementation.
  • kev6686
    kev6686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Before taking a pwo I would fix your diet and rest/recovery first to address the low energy issue.

Agreed, and this is why beginners shouldn't be taking them. Fix your diet (which can take months of trial and error), find the workout you like enough to stick to it (which can take a year or more), find your workout rhythm (ditto), make some progress, and THEN you can start supplementing to see what works for you.

As a beginner, you'll never know what's working, what's doing nothing, and what's holding you back or causing negative effects.

This isn't a sprint; it's a marathon. Give your new, healthy lifestyle a year (or 3) before supplementation.

+1
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You are just starting out lifting, I wouldn't worry much about supplements, Spend your money on good food, meat & veggies. your peri workout nutrition is important. You are working on losing weight so keep your carb intake around your weight training. Have a carb/protein meal or snack before and a protein/ carb meal after. If you are hitting it hard you can sip a protein drink during or after. The rest of the day keep it protein/fat & veggies. Keep your protein & fat intake up. If you need a bump before your workout have a coffee or a drink like Red Bull. Eastcoast Jim
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of adding a pwo grab some sample packs of different brands and see which ones work for you. Everybody reacts differently, some will make you jittery, some will make you want to scratch your skin off for a few minutes others may give you the oh so attractive niacin flush. Just be aware that once you do find a brand you like you'll adapt pretty quickly and may have to cycle on and off and or switch brands.

THIS.

If you're new to working out (or to lifting, or to HIIT) skip the pre-workout except for a snack of protein and carbs (avoid fats pre and post workout, if you can). As a newbie, you'll see drastic improvements without the preworkout, and always remember there IS NO MAGIC POWDER or product that will fix what diet and exercise can't.

If you ARE used to working out, as noted above, yes, by all means try some out and see which you like. I've had great enjoyment from C4 (until they stopped making the pineapple, which was AMAZING in my smoothies) and now I also use One MR.