HELP: Trying to gain weight with Hypoglycemia

Options
Here's a little background:
Just had my son 8 months ago (breastfeeding, so I know that's burning 500 to 600 calories a day). I'm down to 96 lbs and want to get back up to 120 so I have to eat at least 2300 calories daily. I was recently diagnosed with Hypoglycemia and I have to eat a high protein, lo-carb diet every 2 hours.
I'm having a really hard time doing this. I don't know what to eat....
Other problems:
I hate drinking milk or anything like milk. I gag when drinking ensure or musle milk. I hate cheese when it's cold. I also have a texture issue, so no oatmeal, baked fruit, yogurt, etc. because it feels gooey...
I am a mess and don't know what to do.
Pleasd help!

Replies

• kev6686
    kev6686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's literally thousands of options out there available to you, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself... You have a few small hang-ups it sounds, but don't we all.

I'd focus on the things you do like...

When I began weight training, I found the traditional bodybuilding diets bland and would become apathetic towards it all... Until I discovered that you can have healthy, tasty, lean meals, it just takes time to prepare.

I don't know what foods you actually like as you didn't give us any hints there, just the stuff you dislike, however... I'd take a look at two channels on YouTube that would be likely to help you out with your requirements. 'The Protein Chef' and 'The diet kitchen'... Both awesome channels, hundreds of healthy, delicious, recipes. Mainly consisting of protein dishes, good luck :)
  • KeishaFE
    KeishaFE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I typically recommend peanut butter, but gooey. Luckily, it comes in nut form! Any nuts that you enjoy really; because they recommended low carb, you're going to need to up your protein and fats. Cook vegetables with oil, bacon, chicken ground beef/pork, etc. Have you tried hard cheeses (like parmesan? You could also hide gooey things in other things. For example, you could make a pasta sauce and add full fat ricotta cheese to it; then to keep it low carb, you could serve it with lots of veggies.

Here's a good list of calorie dense foods; there should be at least several things on there that you enjoy eating:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    have you considered talking to your doctor about this?
  • KeishaFE
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    have you considered talking to your doctor about this?

Yes, I have. They didn't go into details about certain foods that way I asked them too. He just said high protein and lo carb diet and told me to stay away gtom bread, candy, sugars and other simple carbs.
  • KeishaFE
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I typically recommend peanut butter, but gooey. Luckily, it comes in nut form! Any nuts that you enjoy really; because they recommended low carb, you're going to need to up your protein and fats. Cook vegetables with oil, bacon, chicken ground beef/pork, etc. Have you tried hard cheeses (like parmesan? You could also hide gooey things in other things. For example, you could make a pasta sauce and add full fat ricotta cheese to it; then to keep it low carb, you could serve it with lots of veggies.

Here's a good list of calorie dense foods; there should be at least several things on there that you enjoy eating:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

Thank you! I'm searching up recipes now!