I love nuts...

Options
And I was excited that nuts are something I could snack on with a low carb lifestyle. Today a lady I know told me that her doctor put her on a low carb diet along with B-12 injections and told her no nuts and no bananas. He told her they would make her gain weight. Anyone know if this is true??

**Edited to correct car to carb**

Replies

• Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a very calorie dense food, so it is very easy to overeat them. Typically 1 oz of nuts contains between 150-200 calories, and up to 20 grams of fat. These are good unsaturated fats which have many health benefits, but like I said, it's very easy to overdo it. I eat nuts every day, but I weigh them on a scale. Usualy a single 1 oz serving per day is all I eat. Occasionally 2. If I sit down with a can of nuts in front of me, I have a habit of eating 3 or 4 ounces before I even think about it...
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    so does 10% if the population:happy:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Nuts are my weakness too. When I go over on calories it's usually because of pistachios or cashews! And of course a piece of string cheese and glass of milk I have with them!
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mike...but there are some nuts that are better than others. I try to stick with about the 1 oz serving (small handful) as well each day and I try to stick with Almonds or Walnuts...High in protien, better on the fat than peanuts or something like that and the walnuts are a good source of Omega 3's
  • Inspiredtobe
    Inspiredtobe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. If you eat it too much like 5 bananas a day, yes it will lol but one banana and some nuts won't do anything to you. Citrus fruits will help you lose weight though
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets prohibit eating fruits, such as bananas and pineapple due to their high sugar content. "Healthy" nuts are recommended.
  • Jessabelle12
    Jessabelle12 Posts: 145
    Options
    They are quite carby and calorific yes but in moderation theres no problem, a handful of almonds or brazils have plenty of goodness in them too, as long as you keep within your daily calorie/carb allowance. I'm a veggie so nuts are a big part of my diet but just a few every few days.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    While most are healthy, I stay away from nuts cuz I have a problem with portion control.
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Nuts hot nuts, you get them from the peanut man,
    nuts hot nuts you get them anytime you can.
    You see that guy up on the wall
    I hear he has no nuts at all.
    Xxxxxxxxx
    Sorry I could not help myself.