Going Over My Calorie Limit

Options
I try really hard to keep within my calorie limit, but am still going over my goal. Could my calorie limit be set to low? I have trouble snacking in the evening hours as well.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It could be what your eating or how much.

What's your age, weight, height, and exercise routine like?
    What calorie goal are you trying to stick to?
    How long have you been trying this and have you noticed any loss so far?

edit: By what your eating, I talking eating low volume/high calorie foods that aren't very filling.
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What is your age, height, current weight, goal weight, MFP activity setting?
  • 7mvandyke
    7mvandyke Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I need to make better choices and drink more water again as to get my scale to move again. I'm suffering from 'calorie creep!'
  • Jesusisalltheworldtome
    Options
    I am 59 years old. I am about 5'3" tall and weigh about 189 pounds. I actually weighed a little over 200 pounds when I started MFP in 2012. I am used to walking 4-6 miles a day. I got off track a few months ago , when my husband had reconstructive foot surgery. I felt that it was more important to tend to him. He is doing well now. Thank God ! I do have a treadmill and a elliptical, and could have used them, but I love the outdoors much better. I am back to walking again. I think that I need to quit snacking so much in the evening hours. Also, I almost never drink water. : ( I try not to set my goals to high. My next goal is to weigh below 180 pounds.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I am 59 years old. I am about 5'3" tall and weigh about 189 pounds. I actually weighed a little over 200 pounds when I started MFP in 2012. I am used to walking 4-6 miles a day. I got off track a few months ago , when my husband had reconstructive foot surgery. I felt that it was more important to tend to him. He is doing well now. Thank God ! I do have a treadmill and a elliptical, and could have used them, but I love the outdoors much better. I am back to walking again. I think that I need to quit snacking so much in the evening hours. Also, I almost never drink water. : ( I try not to set my goals to high. My next goal is to weigh below 180 pounds.

So how many calories are you eating?

You know you can pre-log a snack for the evening.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

You MAY be eating too little or you may just need to adapt to consuming less than you ordinarily would
  • Jesusisalltheworldtome
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1,260 calories daily. Today I had 1,496. I burned 835 calories exercising. Are you saying, by pre-logging my snack , I can be more aware of getting close to my calorie goal for the day?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1,260 calories daily. Today I had 1,496. I burned 835 calories exercising. Are you saying, by pre-logging my snack , I can be more aware of getting close to my calorie goal for the day?

Your BASE is 1260. You earn more through exercise, (usually half the burn to accommodate over estimations), so half of 835 is 415. 415 PLUS 1260 = 1675. You ate 1496, therefore didn't go over.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Also, those burns seem very high. What are you doing to come up with them?
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am the same weight and height. I eat a net of 1650 every day - I often eat a lot of my exercise calories back as well. If you are comfortable netting between 1300 and 1500, you should be ok.

All that really matters is that you maintain a caloric intake that lets you lose. If you are losing, then you are not eating too much. If you stop losing for more than a couple of weeks, eat a little less until you start losing more. Just make sure you are also eating enough to not lose too much muscle mass or be miserable. Generally being miserable does not bode well for the future of one's weight loss. Especially mine! Good luck to you!
  • Jesusisalltheworldtome
    Options
    I am walking 6 miles in 140 minutes. Am I possibly calculating wrong? If so, what should the calorie burn be?
  • Jesusisalltheworldtome
    Options
    My husband and I weigh every Monday. If I have not lost any more weight by Monday, I will try to eat a little less.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You get extra calories for the exercise, so log (enter) the exercise info and it will raise your calories. :)
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think first and foremost, the reason you may be snacking so much and going over your calorie goal is due to dehydration. I know people often misinterpret thirst for hunger. I certainly see my cals go up on days I'm not hydrated as well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I would try planning and pre-logging your food for the day to keep from going over your calorie goal. Snacking isn't bad and you can fit it in your goal. I pre-log my whole day in the morning and generally plan 1-2 snacks per day.
    Try drinking water with your meals/snacks or drink a glass of water and wait 20 minutes to an hour before you reach for another snack if you have already eaten your calories.
    Why are you snacking? Are you hungry, bored, stressed? Is it a habit? If it is a habit, boredom or stress then you can change your behavior.
    Are you getting enough protein, fats, fiber? You could try eating more foods with those things and see if it helps you eat less.
    Eat a portion of the calories you earn from exercise.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Walking 6 miles in 140 minutes would put you at about a 2.5 minute pace. That would burn about 400-450 calories, not 835.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You get extra calories for the exercise, so log (enter) the exercise info and it will raise your calories. :)

THIS!
    I would go over my calories every day if it wasnt for this. By logging my exercise my calorie allowance increases. In the few weeks I'm here I've learned that when I want a treat I can work for it if I want to stay under my calorie goal. I still go over about 2 times a week but overall I'm a lot better than I was before MFP so I can live with that.
  • Jesusisalltheworldtome
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Does anyone know of a good website for calculating calories burned?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    BMR is 1504; light activity place your tree at 1900 so you are eating well below 30% of your daily TDEE.

An analogy I'll give you is this: It is 20 degrees outside and your heating a 2000 square foot house with a candle or two.

When you eat so far below your daily needs you make your body do some things to accommodate the lack of fuel. Maybe, learn a little more about BMR(Basil Metabolic Rate), and how someone can calculate their TDEE and then eat at a deficit no greater then 20% of TDEE. So, for you, it would be around 1500 calories a day, not 1200-1300. As you get closer to goal adjust the amount of food by restricting your daily food intake by not more then 10% of TDEE. It may take longer but you'll feel better, sleep better, and learn some of the tools you'll need for the rest of a healthy life.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would skip breakfast and save calories for later in the day. Then you are all set to snack.