Success stories and continuing ones for females 5'3 and under

Options
hello. Though i have tried constantly to lose weight nothing helps! Right now I am 5'3 and 150 lbs and can never seemed to get thinner. I think if I hear/see how others with the same body structure as mine have succeeded or are close to succeeding then maybe I can keep it up. Could you plz say how you lost the weight as well as how long it took you to get from here to there. Pictures would be nice to since I love to see transformations!

Replies

• MrsEGreen
    MrsEGreen Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 but only started logging with mfp in july but in May I was 92kgs and now I'm 85kgs
    I cut out pasta and rice and I only have bread once a fortnight
    And do a light gym workout 4 or 5 times a week

Breakfast is oats
    Lunch is a chicken salad
    Dinner is meat and veg
    Thats all i really eat. If im hungry ill have a banana snack or something light and healthy
    I use the treadmill and bike at the gym
    Sometimes do a pump class
    And will be started personal training next month for 6 weeks
    Im really inpatient buy have learnt to only weigh in once a month and lower my expectations
    I weigh all my food and log it
    And drink as much water as i can

Slow and steady x
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    5'3". I started normal weight and wanted to lose about 10 lbs for vanity reasons. I lost the weight over about 2-3 months. I ate around 1400 calories, ate back most of my exercise calories and exercised. I do yoga, pole, running, and weight lifting. I maintain now on about 2000 calories on average. I only watched calories, I didn't weigh my food, and working night shifts I probably drink way too much diet coke and red bull but it didn't hinder my loss.
  • gemmaw987
    gemmaw987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5,2 and 141lb.

I was using MFP at the beginning of the year and went down to 130lb which was very good for me!

I got married and went on honeymoon and ate/ drank WAY too much hence the weight gain. But I do snack, lots!

I want to get back down to 133lb which I would be happy with as I felt SO much better in my clothes when I was that bit lighter. Also I do a lot of running and I can feel the difference when I run with the extra pounds I have put on!

MFP has calculated 1200 calories and when im not in the right frame of mind, i find it difficult to keep to that amount but im back on the wagon now and yesterday was my first day at sticking to my calorie goal.

I find if i pre-log my foods every morning, that is the only way to stop me from snacking inbetween meals.

I have found that no matter how much exercise I do, the only thing that helps shift the weight is watching what I eat and MFP seems to be the best thing for me :-)

x
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm 43yo. 5'4" and started at 156lbs about 7wks ago. I'm now 145.

My diary is opened if you want to see what food looks like for me. I'm being very careful tracking calories, and since buying a gram scale my weight loss has been consistent. My weight loss had stalled and I learned it was because although I was making good food choices, my portions were too big.

I'm working out 4 days (sometimes 5 if my schedule allows) a week and concentrating on weight training with 25-20mins of cardio 3 times a week.

Learning to count calories and eat the right portion sizes is the best thing anyone can do to get the weight off.
  • Shaz3k
    Shaz3k Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I posted these progress pictures yesterday. I am 5'3 and started at 153lbs (thereabouts I use kgs) in July when I joined MFP. Currently I'm at 136lbs half way to my goal weight of 121lbs. I weigh and record everything as a couple of false starts with my old calorie counting software was getting me nowhere. I found my estimates in some cases were way off. I don't eat much bread at all, try to have vegies at least 3/4 nights a week, have almonds nearly every day. I have some rice in certain recipes but if it's a meal served on rice, I make cauliflower rice. I am also avoiding pasta by using zucchini or carrot with a spiraliser. I've increased my protein and try to keep it level to my carbs which is hard, also on 1200 calories. I don't go without having ice cream for dessert most nights if my calories allow it, also only drink water and the odd coffee or tea.

After my initial few weeks I switched to weighing daily as I wanted to see what happened at that TOM, so glad I did, because it showed me I also have a weight stall or gain at ovulation as well which I didn't know. I'm averaging around 600 - 700g a week loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10256120/progress-story-rather-than-success-story-ye

Good luck.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5ft 3 and am currently 108 lbs. Started at 143 and lost the weight very slowly. A pound a week since September 2014. I logged meticulously and also did about an hour of cardio I.e running, elliptical, hula hoop etc...for 5-6 days a week. Am currently maintaining on 1330 calories a day and eat back my exercise calories. I'm 44 (almost 45) and until I joined mfp and started logging was only losing a pound here and there then regaining. Have a great friends list which also helped.
  • madisoncov654
    madisoncov654 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all these stories have given me some hope! I have decided to cut most of my breads and pastas and to stick to a 1200 cal diet i hope to reach my goal 125 pounds very soon! @Shaz3k I love the progress picks you are doing amazing!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5", so just a tad bit taller
    Highest adult weight: 260 lbs
    Weight when I started using MFP: 218 lbs
    Current Trend weight*: 127.8 lbs
    This mornings scale reading: 126.9 lbs
    Lowest recent scale reading: 126 lbs

I was around 150 lbs 6 months ago.

I lost some weight on my own before joining MFP. I was way over restrictive and couldn't sustain it. If I remember correctly I gained about 20 lbs of the around 60 lbs I had lost the year prior to joining MFP back. I didn't make lifestyle changes. It was more of a short term term diet that I had put myself on. I was able to keep it up for about 6 months before I couldn't take it anymore. Kept the weight off for about 2-3 months and then started gaining some back. I, thankfully, caught myself before I had undone it all.

I found MFP in Nov of 2012, but didn't start actually using it until March 13, 2013 when I was back up to 218 lbs. I set up MFP with a goal to lose 2 lbs a week, but I think I lasted all of a week with that goal before changing it to 1 lb a week. I started lurking in the forums and found lots of useful information. I'll post some of the threads that I consider to be useful down at the bottom of this post.

I was gifted a Fitbit Zip at the end of April by my husband. He knew I was looking at them and wanted one; he didn't know which one so he grabbed a zip because it came in bright pink. I started using that to monitor my activity and allowed it to make adjustments to my calorie goals here. Boy was I surprised to find that I was so lazy that even with MFP set to Sedentary, Fitbit was taking away calories and working out was just bringing my adjustment to 0 (meaning I was meeting the calorie burn MFP expected of a Sedentary person with my stats). By September, I had enough data from my food logs and Fitbit to determine that the Zip was underestimating my activity level by about 200 calories per day on average.

I bought a HRM for my workouts shortly after getting the Fitbit. I used this for any activity that wasn't walking and logged it in MFP with the correct start time/duration (start time is something required when logging activities when a Fitbit is connected to MFP).

Around June, I ended up purchasing a food scale so that I could be more accurate with my food logging. This was an eye opener and I started weighing all foods I made at home (still do). The best part is it required less clean up than measuring cups.

By September of that year, I had lost about 48 lbs from my start on MFP and about 90 from my highest weight. I had to stop at this point though, because I became pregnant with my second son.

Fast forward to now. My youngest was born at the end of May 2014. I went back to using MFP just as I had before pregnancy a few weeks after he was born. I wasn't able to start exercising until September (recovery from 2nd c-section), but I did start up about mid-September. The only major changes I've made is that as of Feb this year I am using the Fitbit Surge (no longer using Zip & HRM) and I joined a gym.

My favorite thing about the tools I have been using to help me with this process is that I don't have to cut out my favorite foods. Sure I have to watch my portion sizes, but that's where a food scale and my food log come in. I don't feel horribly restricted which makes it easier than what I was trying to do before using MFP (not that it's completely easy, it's not, but it is easier now that I'm not restricting myself to a small selection of foods).

After my first son was born (260 lbs):
    36l23u61aljs.jpg

My second pregnancy:
    19qzdmji07vl.jpg

2 weeks Post-Partum(in the 190's):
    p1wfts65ubt4.jpg

And current:
    5envk79ndesp.jpg

Helpful threads:
    Logging Accurately Step by Step Guide
    A Guide to Get You Started on Your Path to Sexypants
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all these stories have given me some hope! I have decided to cut most of my breads and pastas and to stick to a 1200 cal diet i hope to reach my goal 125 pounds very soon! @Shaz3k I love the progress picks you are doing amazing!

As long as that is 1200 calories plus at least 50% of your exercise calories that should help. Cutting out bread and pasta isn't necessary unless it'll help to that end.

The thing is, if you weren't losing weight before, you weren't really eating at a deficit. Are you weighing your food portions as much as possible? Being short and not really having a lot of weight to lose means you don't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to tracking your calories. You need to be more accurate and you'll start to see the scale move.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

Hang in there! You can do this! :]

I'm 5 ft 2 and I started out at 157 lbs at the end of April 2015. I am now hitting 126.

This is totally achievable, I promise you that. You just need to dig deep and find that willpower, dedication and strength. I have the biggest appetite ever so if I can do it, you definitely can!

I haven't got any pictures uploaded onto my computer just yet but I definitely will once I've finished.

How I did it? A sensible calorie deficit and some regular exercises. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that! Good luck!