Have to lose 15 pounds

Options
want to lose 15 pounds!

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Set your goal on how much you would like to lose per week. Then log all your food everyday and get in as much exercise as you can at least 5x week. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose anything for a week or two.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 0.5 lb/week and eat to that limit. The weight will come off in a healthy, sustainable method. The closer you are to your goal weight, the less you should aim to lose in a week.
    You could start out losing 1 lb/week but cut back to 0.5 lb/week when you are within 10 lbs of your goal.
    If you exercise, eat back 1/2 of the recorded exercise calories. This will fuel your exercise in a healthy manner.

You can do this.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    try not to eat over 60grams of carbs
  • monikaprab
    monikaprab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for last two weeks and lost one pound In first 3 days and gained it back. Though havent had a cheat day. Remained less than the calories recommended
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    monikaprab wrote: »
    I have been doing this for last two weeks and lost one pound In first 3 days and gained it back. Though havent had a cheat day. Remained less than the calories recommended

If you want us to help trouble-shoot what might be going wrong, we may be able to help if you feel comfortable setting your diary to public or giving us some more details

Otherwise, these are my general tips when someone has problems with their weight loss stalling:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

6. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs. This is especially true as you get closer to your goal weight.

7. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

And these links are really great to get started with if you haven't come across them already:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
  • monikaprab
    monikaprab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been logging in everything. Eating within the recommended calories.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get a better answer than @diannethegeek has given you. Give it time.
  • taylorjonesbrooke
    Options
    monikaprab wrote: »
    want to lose 15 pounds!

Duhhhhh
  • karim76544
    karim76544 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Day 1 for me. I want to lose about 15 plus plus and switch over to weights. Suggestions are welcome. Right now I just do 1 hr cardio in the morning and 1 hr at night. Problanly what I am looking for is a challanger and motivation.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    karim76544 wrote: »
    Day 1 for me. I want to lose about 15 plus plus and switch over to weights. Suggestions are welcome. Right now I just do 1 hr cardio in the morning and 1 hr at night. Problanly what I am looking for is a challanger and motivation.

Karim, do you have access to weights or a gym? When I was starting out with strength training I found going to fitness classes helped me out. They taught me form, technique, etc.
  • karim76544
    karim76544 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    karim76544 wrote: »

Karim, do you have access to weights or a gym? When I was starting out with strength training I found going to fitness classes helped me out. They taught me form, technique, etc.

I do have access to both and including dance. But seem to sweat like crazy with cardio rather weights. Right now my weight was 200 but now I am at 194.