Weight loss slump after starting exercise program?

Options
I've been eating anywhere from 1000-1350 calories a day for about 5 months. I'm 45 years old, 5',1". I've lost 40 or so pounds (239 on 4/29 to 198.4 today) so far but just can't seem to keep losing. I started exercising about 3.5 weeks ago- about 40-60 minutes of brisk walking/jogging, hand weights, sit ups, leg lifts, Yoga, elliptical and rowing machine every other day. I realize I am building muscle and that is likely why I'm not losing actual pounds but any advise to kick start the weight loss again? I've been hovering around the 200lb range for what seems like forever. Should I try and exercise every day? I feel like I need a break on the off days and sometimes I will do 4 days in the week versus three but generally its every other day. I'm not particularly eating more either and I'm drinking lots of water. Some days I know I'm not eating enough calories (850 maybe) but I feel like I make up for it on another day that week. How do I kick start the weight loss again?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention for muscle repairs. Completely normal and will come off on it's own in time. How much time exactly will vary from person to person.

Building muscle is unlikely, unless you are eating at a surplus.

Are you weighing your food? If not it's possible that you are eating more than you think.

• louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe see what ur protein is per day. U may not be eaying enough protien to build/repair muscle.
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey sash....I am almost 42 and just under 5.1 :)(

I got to 160lb a couple of years back and since then its been such a struggle, I too exersize and try to eat around 1000cals...I can say that on cycling days (usually a Sunday afternoon) I gain for a few days from water retention. Through muscle soreness....but I'm afraid apart from that, I wish I had the answer for you

It's very frustrating isn't it?

I even saw a nutritionist last year who upped my calories which I stick to for three months and actually gained 6lb. Unfortunately I've resigned myself to the fact that I must have a slower metabolism, I even lift weights...and have done for years. I do find if I do lots of cardio everyday day for a week and my usual 10,000 steps or more on my jawbone, I can loose a pound, but that's only if I stick to under 1200 cals.....and yes I weigh every morsel, even my milk for tea is weighed in the morning inh into a jar
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Maybe see what ur protein is per day. U may not be eaying enough protien to build/repair muscle.

This would have nothing to do with weight loss.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention for muscle repairs. Completely normal and will come off on it's own in time. How much time exactly will vary from person to person.

Are you weighing your food? If not it's possible that you are eating more than you think.

+2. Also wondering, along with weighing, if you enter everything. There were a couple days with only 300-600 total calories logged.
  • Sashall211
    Sashall211 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do have a hard time eating enough protein. I just have so little time and really despise any of the protein shakes. I like savory not sweet! I try eating turkey jerky and chicken or tuna in a can but I honestly am so busy I have a hard time getting it in. I'm not weighing my food, but if anything I think I'm overestimating what I'm eating versus underestimating. I put food on my plate and just can't finish it.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

If ur not eating enough protein to repair muscles u lose muscle and store fat. Ur body thinks its "winter" no protein, must store fat. Goes back yo caveman days but protein can have a big impact of how and what u lose
    Too much protein and ur body cant use and will convert it to fat and stalk weight loss.
    We actually only need 1g protein per kg of lean body mass

• Sashall211
    Options
    Some days I just don't get to fill it all in. The only days I really go over my 1200 calorie goal is if I have more than one beer or glass of wine. I almost never snack and if I do, its berries, fruit or yogurt or something relatively OK. I recently discovered Starbucks double shots with protein (ugh!)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

+2. Also wondering, along with weighing, if you enter everything. There were a couple days with only 300-600 total calories logged.

Agreed.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

If ur not eating enough protein to repair muscles u lose muscle and store fat. Ur body thinks its "winter" no protein, must store fat. Goes back yo caveman days but protein can have a big impact of how and what u lose
    Too much protein and ur body cant use and will convert it to fat and stalk weight loss.
    We actually only need 1g protein per kg of lean body mass

Wat?
  • Sashall211
    Options
    Charliejenny- I feel your frustration! I also have a HUGE chest which makes running/jobbing literally a huge pain! I splurge with half and half and real sugar in my morning tea every day. It's my one thing I can't seem to give up! Otherwise I'd rather not even eat sweets. Can't stand aspartame/Splenda/Stevie etc
  • charliejenny
    Options
    Oh god we are two peas in a pod ...that made me laugh out loud

Snap snap snap!!!

However, I've learned to embrace my fantastic boobs, even if they still bounce with two smaller cupped sports bras :))
  • shadow2soul
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sashall211 wrote: »
    Charliejenny- I feel your frustration! I also have a HUGE chest which makes running/jobbing literally a huge pain! I splurge with half and half and real sugar in my morning tea every day. It's my one thing I can't seem to give up! Otherwise I'd rather not even eat sweets. Can't stand aspartame/Splenda/Stevie etc

A good sports bra should help with that. Look into brands like Shock Absorber and panache (you can sometimes find them on sale on amazon).

I was a 38G the first time I bought an Shock Absorber bra and while it gave me a uniboob, it held things in place perfectly.

edit: wrote under armour by mistake...not sure why...I've never owned a UA bra in my life.
  • Sashall211
    Options
    I wear two! I have one Under Armour which I love but its the tank style. Can't seem to find more of the tank style though. I'd get 5! The other ones I have I got through Lane Bryant and truthfully are too big for me now. But at $40-$60 each I don't want to spend a ton when my breasts are going down a lot. I've gone from a 42 E/F to a 38DDD.
  • charliejenny
    Options
    Sometimes I put my old bigger ones over my new ones for more support, especially when I've gone down a size, its sooo expensive keeping up with them, given the fact the decent ones are so pricey. I wouldn't change my boobs though, fortunately I have a large number too so I'm quite womanly which is a small mercy gratefully received when being overweight.

Sash, I'm not sure what shape you are and perhaps il sound total nuts, but many years back I started working on my shape rather than weight (don't get me wrong I've always tried to loose) but my shape has defenatly changed over the years. I actually prefer how I look now to ten years ago
  • charliejenny
    Options
    That was meant to say .....I have a large bum too :)
  • shadow2soul
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't know why I typed under armour...hehe...I meant Shock Absorber.
    You also might want to check out La Isla on amazon. The bras are in UK sizing, but they have similar styles to Shock Absorber for half the cost. I have used the Ultimate Run and Ultimate Gym styles of Shock Absorber. La Ilsa makes a bra similar to the Ultimate Run. Actually, it's pretty much identical except for the logo on it and at $25 vs $60+, it's a lot more budget friendly.
  • Sashall211
    Options
    Shadow2soul- Thanks! really appreciate it.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sasha and alla y'all - first of all totally cosigned on the "hourglass girl" problems. I can be in great shape and I'm still just an AWFUL runner (I say "I have 38 Double Damn good reasons not to be a runner") (though it's more like DDD now).
    You know -- your rate of loss over five months is quite good and right on target at the high end of prediction (about two pounds a week by my math). So it makes sense that you might "tread weight" for a bit. The muscles will hold water if you're repairing them. If you need recovery -- are you sore? If you're sore that's pretty much a sure sign you're holding water in muscles. Try and be patient for a few weeks and take some body measurements (if you aren't already). Maybe try a 30 min walk on the off days to do active recovery? And if you can look at it this way, spend the next few weeks tracking your improved fitness and not so much focus on just the scale weight. It is, as I think you suspect, a transitional phase.
  • charliejenny
    Options
    Hey Michelle

What a wonderfully positive message.....love it

I'm taking note

And here's to all us big boobed girlys