How to diet when your SO is not???

Options
I have been living with my partner for a while and have really focused in on losing weight over the last month.

However, I'm finding it really difficult to diet and stick to low GI and minimal saturated fats during the evening when he comes home from work and at weekends.

Where I am overweight and uncomfortable in myself, he is considered underweight but struggles to gain anything, leaving him stuck at 8.5-9 stone.

At weekends I buy myself a bag of fruit juice gummy drops and a small bag of unsalted nuts from a health food shop, whereas he stocks up on sweets and crisps and gorges on them whilst we watch films/programmes together.

It doesn't bother me that he's eating them, I just find myself overly tempted to join him, and have occasionally broke my meal plan and felt guilty for sharing a pizza when it's too late to cook or having a triple chocolate cookie.

Our best weekend was when I made a bowl of Graze Pepper Popcorn and a minimal calorie Hot Chocolate for us to share as it was much healthier than me craving crisps and chocolate and we could share this as a treat.

How does everyone else deal with this?

Do you have recipes or certain snacks/meals to share with one another? Do you sit in seperate rooms? Do you go exercise whilst they munch ahead?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I eat what I eat and she eats what she eats. I cook and eat the portions I want. She eats the portions she wants.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Fill up on a huge healthy meal right before he gets home. Might help you stay out of his food. And don't put yourself in the 'too late to cook let's order out' position again.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My SO is the one who encouraged me to lose weight. He has been talking about "dieting" for sometime now but has been insisting we do something drastic like paleo or eat noting but salad and chicken, which I know I would fail at because I need variety. I basically told him if he wants to prepare / cook, go ahead, but otherwise we'll eat what I prepare since I do all the cooking. He's been pretty good about being supportive, but often eggs me on to eat unhealthy things - like when I worked out specifically so I could have a deep fried snickers at the fair and he was all lets have ice cream and this giant elephant ear too.
    ogmilner wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me that he's eating them, I just find myself overly tempted to join him, and have occasionally broke my meal plan and felt guilty for sharing a pizza when it's too late to cook or having a triple chocolate cookie.

I understand this. I caved and bought a pizza for lunch, ate two slices and brought the rest home to eat gradually over the weekend, and instead he ate 5 slices after we had a good dinner while talking about how delicious it was I needed to order from them more often. It was delicious. Thanks for reminding me. I'd appreciate it if you stopped eating it directly if front of me where I can smell it. I wound up having one as well, after I had told myself I wouldn't.

It's all about will power. It'll get easier as it goes along. At least I hope so!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    We don't eat the same thing or even eat together, or at the same time- never have. Food is no big deal to me- its fuel. Sure, we used to watch DVD's and have a big bag of doritos each, or munch a block of chocolate each- he still does but i just sit and watch. If I do get tempted I might have 1 or 2 doritos and a sip of his beer. If I'm hungry for junk- I might have a 4 cal fruit jelly/jello.

To be honest the main temption is during ovulation for me- then I'm like a bottomless carb pit- and have no time to sit about as I'm doing extra cardio to make up for the excess cals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You have to make the decision to stick to your guns... but there's no reason why you can't have a piece of pizza or a cookie too.

My husband is obese and hasn't done much to change his diet at all in the 2.5 years I've been on MFP (ok he tried for a few months, lost 10 pounds, gained it all back). He snacks on ice cream, cheese, crackers, cookies, chocolate, basically anything, at night when he watches TV. But I don't have to eat that stuff, and he doesn't have to eat my snacks. We don't share snacks anyway because I log everything I eat, so I get my own.

I make the same dinner for everyone (most nights), but that includes anything from meatloaf to burgers to pizza sometimes. I ask him what he wants, and if he actually wants something, I'll make it, I'll just make a lighter version of it, and I'll have a smaller portion. I just weigh my portion and make sure it fits in my calories and try to have something delicious at every meal so I'm less tempted to eat 'junk' after. I very rarely have snacks after dinner and no, we don't sit in different rooms. He eats right next to me while we watch TV.

I usually don't exercise when he's home, but I'd just hop on the exercise bike while we watch TV and he snacks... not a problem at all.

Bottom line is that you have to make the choice for yourself to lose weight and be healthier. I've lost 80 pounds, and I have kids too and a lot of snacks and treats and 'junk' food in the house at all times. You just got to want it hard enough.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I not only eat different most of the time, my son and daughter eat other stuff too, It's no big deal and works for us. I start with a "normal" dinner and add carbs for the husband and son that I don't want to use my calories for and then my daughter eats maybe some of it or something she makes on her own. I truly don't feel tempted because I'm working for a goal and when I'm in maintenance maybe I will have something extra, but I do not even feel tempted by their sweets or extra and I don't buy anything I can't "handle", I did that once with ice cream LOL
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I live with a DH and two lean, very active teenage boys who consume any food that gets in their path. If I ate whenever anyone else in this house was eating I'd very quickly be so huge I'd be unable to move. So I just don't do it. Period. I know the biology/science of it -- they're all men and they can eat much more than I can. That's just the way it is. So I've had to learn to be ok with them eating when I don't. When I cook we all eat the same things, I just eat a lot less than they do. They snack a LOT and I don't. Such is life.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have always eaten different things (I'm vegan and he's not, he's a picky eater and I'm not), so when I began counting calories it wasn't really a big deal. If he does have something that looks good, then I'll just figure out if it will fit into my calories for the day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you have a particular reason you are limiting yourself to particular kinds of foods. Find foods that you both enjoy; you should eat at a calorie deficit, he should eat at a calorie surplus. If you have trouble feeling full on smaller portions, try adding some low calorie, high volume foods to your diet. If he is having problems getting enough calories in, he should add some low volume, high calorie snacks.

Problem solved.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eating in front of the TV is a no-no for me. I find that doing something with my hands reduces the urge, a little bit of distraction goes a long ways. Greasy (salty) hands and crochet.....not good.

For meals I always have a low calorie side (ready). Typically veggies (or extra veggies) that I can add to my plate. That makes the plate more full. As for pizza, a salad starter is what I do. That reduces the urge for seconds. I can have pizza, but I normally choose 1 meat, veggies and a thin crust.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I still eat the same stuff I used to before deciding to lose weight, including pizza, chips, chocolate, etc. So there's no difference on what we eat. The difference now is that my portions are smaller, while his stay at whatever he wants to eat. Also, I've learned to change my recipes a little, by using less oil when I cook... or sometimes baking the food instead of frying. I use less salt, if he feels like it's not salty enough, hey there's the salt shaker and he can add it to his plate. Small tweaks here and there. As long as I can fit all these foods into my daily calories, I'm losing weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Eating in front of the TV is a no-no for me. I find that doing something with my hands reduces the urge, a little bit of distraction goes a long ways. Greasy (salty) hands and crochet.....not good.

For meals I always have a low calorie side (ready). Typically veggies (or extra veggies) that I can add to my plate. That makes the plate more full. As for pizza, a salad starter is what I do. That reduces the urge for seconds. I can have pizza, but I normally choose 1 meat, veggies and a thin crust.

I only have plain pizza at this point, lol.

I don't get all the TV snacking, personally. It kills me inside when I buy some ice cream, and my husband scarfs it down in front of the TV... IMO you just can't really enjoy food properly if you eat while watching TV (or playing video games, or basically doing something else at the same time). The only time I still do it is when I'm really hungry and we're watching something and I know my husband would be annoyed if I took a snack break. Food it made to be enjoyed, not eaten mindlessly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I plan for pizza. I make sure I've exercised that day. He gets 5 pieces and I get 3, which I eat slowly. We have a salad with the pizza.

We share meals, but he takes more carbs and I take more non-starchy veggies. I have smaller portions of dessert as well, and we don't have dessert every night. TV snacks are small - like one Ghiradelli square, eaten slowly and mindfully.

We don't live together yet - I see him around 4 times per week. I exercise beforehand so I can give him my undivided attention.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    When we eat together, we each take however much we want. If he wants snacks I don't want, then I don't have them, and vice versa. We are two separate people and responsible for our own weight management and what we choose to eat. :)
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My OH doesn't need to lose weight. We eat the same meal in the evening (which I cook) but he has a much bigger portion than me. He will also have things like chocolate, ice cream, cheese and biscuits and hot chocolate from dinner to bedtime, whereas I have a piece of fruit, a black coffee with a splash of skimmed milk & sometimes 15g of dark chocolate for a treat.

There are always cakes, biscuits and crisps (chips) in the cupboard because he eats them as well as my 'healthy' homemade dinners. It doesn't worry me that there is 'junk' staring me in the face. It was my decision to lose weight so the onus is firmly on me to get on with it.

He's out all day so I like spending time together in the evenings. I have all day to exercise (if I want to lol).

I find the SMELL coming from a burger van when I'm out shopping far more of a temptation than 'junk' at home.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My hubby is skinny and very sedentary. He is also very supportive, and knows that at this stage, I know what I'm doing and whatever food choices I make are ones I'm happy with making. I typically make dinner, and just give him a larger portion. We both make our own breakfast and lunch. He is happy eating healthier foods, so long as they are foods that he likes in general. I'll often add extra veggies to my plate, or include some spinach on the side.

As for snacks, I have my shelf, and he has his. We sometimes share, but after asking, which has helped me establish that those aren't mine to have whenever I want. He rarely eats my stuff as it's either something he doesn't like (usually the healthier stuff), or he has his own so doesn't need to sneak into my stash (no one touches my chocolate! lol). Having my own stuff too has helped me keep better track of what I'm eating and gives me lots of options to go to when I need a snack.

I agree with the above, that it really is down to you making your own choices, owning them, and doing what you need to do.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I eat what I eat and she eats what she eats. I cook and eat the portions I want. She eats the portions she wants.

Same for me and my husband. I do my thing and he does his. He knows how to lose weight and wants to, but doesn't have "my willpower". It's not willpower; it's habit.

When we share a meal, either at home or take-out, we split some things like desserts and appetizers. It does suck to only be able to eat a slice of pizza because one will fit in my goal but I would be satiated with 3.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I am much like one of the above posters, I eat what I want in the portions that I want, he eats what he wants in the portions he wants. Sometimes I indulge in the same things he is eating, but most of the time I don't. When I do indulge, it is because I can fit it into my calorie goals for the day and I track it and move on.

I do experiment a lot with recipes and have discovered many that we both like and enjoy and meet my goals while still being satisfying to him.

Basically, you can't force him to eat as you do so you will have to learn to pass on the extra snacks when they don't fit into your daily goals.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Same for me and my husband. I do my thing and he does his. He knows how to lose weight and wants to, but doesn't have "my willpower". It's not willpower; it's habit.

When we share a meal, either at home or take-out, we split some things like desserts and appetizers. It does suck to only be able to eat a slice of pizza because one will fit in my goal but I would be satiated with 3.

This is my home as well.

We all eat the same things, but I eat less of them. I eat what fits into my goals. We make one dinner, I just measure my portion and log my food. When we watch television together we eat different things because we generally enjoy different snacks.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

^^+1

You and your SO are two separate people. You do not both have to be "dieting."

Just eat less food than your SO does.