Naturally thin teen:

Options
Hey there, I'm New here and well like you all I'm skinny too. I'm 18 years old and I have a high metabolism, I eat everything but still I can't reach my required calories. My current weight is 68 pounds and I'm 5'2 tall. I look 13. I need help putting up some mass. :/

Replies

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    peanut butter ice cream milkshakes :^)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do you under a doctor's care? Frankly, no adult weighs 68 pounds from having a high metabolism. Something is terribly wrong. And your profile says you are 20? Which is it?
  • hollyhills61
    hollyhills61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry it was mistakenly written, I'm 18. My mother's a gynecologist and I went to a nutritionist but it wasn't very effected. All my blood tests were normal, I don't have any disease or what. But I can't seem to gain much.
  • morethanveggies435
    Options
    Hey babe, I'm in the same boat as you. My tests are all normal but I do have IBS (a digestive disorder that shows up as normal in every test). If your body shows any signs of chronic pain/discomfort, do go to a doctor. Otherwise, it could just be genes/lifestyle/diet. In my country (Singapore) we have many skinny people like us because of the high stress and tropical weather :)
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    start tracking what you eat. Most likely you will find you are not actually eating at a calorie-surplus, which is what you need to gain weight. Don't be afraid to add in fatty foods (full fat dairy, avocados, nuts, seeds are all great, but so is chocolate or indeed that peanut butter milkshake someone mentioned :))

From this calculator http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ you can calculate which amount of calories you need daily (your Total Daily Expected Expenditure) to stay at your current weight. Adding in more calories equals weight gain. Eating less than that: weight loss. Remember, a calculator will only give you an estimate, so real life results are even more important. If you do honestly feel you are eating enough calories so that you should gain and you are not seeing that reflected on the scale, get medical help.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you usea food scale to weigh all your solid portions? More than likely you are underestimating portion sizes. I would also suggest foods like bagels, pasta, rice, ice cream, cookies etc; however, make sure that you are meeting micronutrient needs first and then fill in as you please.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @hollyhills61 and @morethanveggies435 It would be interesting to see what you have to eat on a daily basis. As others have said - you are probably eating a lot less than you think.
    Any chance of opening your food diaries?

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do you usea food scale to weigh all your solid portions? More than likely you are underestimating portion sizes. I would also suggest foods like bagels, pasta, rice, ice cream, cookies etc; however, make sure that you are meeting micronutrient needs first and then fill in as you please.

This. Also drink calories. Skip the diet and low fat. Full fat milk is a great weight gaining help for example.
  • morethanveggies435
    Options
    @hollyhills61 and @morethanveggies435 It would be interesting to see what you have to eat on a daily basis. As others have said - you are probably eating a lot less than you think.
    Any chance of opening your food diaries?
    On good days without my digestive disorder disturbing me my appetite is great, I can go to 2,300 cals over the amount recommended by the app. May not seem like a lot to many people but Im definitely not going hungry and my gut is just like that at the moment. I just started logging 3 days ago, tried to eat slightly more than usual and my gut didn't like it. Had a flare yesterday. I'll play around w the settings and see if I can open (I'm quite new) :) I'm sure I'll be able to eat much more after treatment, can't wait yay :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to add calories w/out significant volume of food. Peanut butter, Nutella, and butter are 100 cals per tbls. Honey is 60. Cooking with oil adds significant calories. Cream sauces and creamy dressings pack a pretty good caloric punch, too.
  • hollyhills61
    hollyhills61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks will try that too. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?