Fibromyalgia , Autoimmune Disorder, & Pernicious Anemia

Hi! As u can tell I am a MESS! LOL!!! BUT-- I am determined to make the most of my life & try to extend my time on heavenly earth as much as possible for my children & husband! Hvn that said--- I need to admit my willpower left me YEARS ago so I am on n off the health wagon a LOT!!! I am looking for some or even A true friend that is hopefully supportive, loyal, optimistic, a Christian, compassionate, & understanding. Not necessarily n that order. N not necessarily hvn all of those traits.

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    My mom deals with fibro. I get a report, daily almost, of how much pain and discomfort it can cause. She has had problems with her weight since I was born - and unfortunately, since fibro is an "invisible" illness, she has received a lot of harsh judgement from people who don't understand what fibro can do. I definitely sympathize there.

Wish you the best on your journey!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Well I don't even know what some of that is, but when there's a will - there's a way. You can do anything you put your mind to, but sometimes some people need to rest for a minute and there's nothing wrong with that. Your faith will carry you through!
  • Sitnprettyndasun
    Sitnprettyndasun Posts: 10 Member
    Awe! Thank you! May I ask which one u relate to? I wld love to try n help u when u r down, n even say a prayer if u don't mind.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have an autoimmune and myalgia. bf says "do you ever feel good?"
    i've had to redefine what feel good is. I've decided i feel cruddy either way so i can be unhealthy and cruddy or healthy and cruddy.
    just start with small changes. add a few more steps. weigh and log all your food. listen to your body and realize that our bodies lie to us. my body overreacts to pain and loves to inflame. like a pouty teenager
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @Sitnprettyndasun may I suggest that you read some reviews of Wheat Belly Total Health (2014) by William Davis MD. A few years before he wrote Wheat Belly and there are some great reviews online of that book. He not only talks about diet but how it relates to medical conditions like the first two you named. If you are interested after reading reviews it is $10/$20 digital/hard bound. I finished reading it for the first time last night.

It was a year ago at age 63 when I decided to learn a better way to eat to manage my pain. 30 days after I cut out all grains and most all sugars my pain was well managed for the first time in 40 years without MEDS. I did a lot of damage to my body taking pain meds over the years. Loving all of the other side effects too.

Welcome to MFP forums and best of success in finding a diet solution that works for you. We are all different.
  • Sitnprettyndasun
    Sitnprettyndasun Posts: 10 Member
    Thx u! I just went online n requested it from my library.
  • Amberleah21
    Amberleah21 Posts: 55 Member
    Autoimmune disease here too - SLE (Lupus) and Graves. It can be a struggle. But I'm determined I'm gonna get healthy once and for all this time. So if you need a friend that can relate, friend me.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Hi! As u can tell I am a MESS! LOL!!! BUT-- I am determined to make the most of my life & try to extend my time on heavenly earth as much as possible for my children & husband! Hvn that said--- I need to admit my willpower left me YEARS ago so I am on n off the health wagon a LOT!!! I am looking for some or even A true friend that is hopefully supportive, loyal, optimistic, a Christian, compassionate, & understanding. Not necessarily n that order. N not necessarily hvn all of those traits.

I have a few health issues which I will not give weight to w words...they will not win. I push through every day and deal w whatever I have to after but I am back at it again.

I know this whatever is ailing you is better dealt w if you work out and watch what you eat. so i do.
  • snowiebuggie
    snowiebuggie Posts: 49 Member
    Hello everybody does MS count as a Autoimmune disease I have had it since 08 and some days are better then others. I feel into what I call a black hole and weighted my heaviest but I am not determined to get healthy and learn to eat right. I am looking for true friends ones that are compassionate and understanding and I would in return do the same.
    :)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited September 2015
    MS definitely counts! It is such a difficult auto-immune disease, too.

I, right now at 64 years old, am a success story. I have rheumatoid arthritis and Sjogrehns, but my RA has been in remission for about 5 years and my sjogrehns is a-symptomatic (or maybe in remission, too) right now. I am off the methotrexate. Haven't had to take a steriod in years. I do take Plaquenil because it has few side effects and takes 6 months to work. I do get regular eye exams to make sure it isn't hurting my eyes. But, I'd rather stay on it and try to avoid a return of the RA than go off of it (which I could if I wanted) and then, if I have a flareup, I would have to go back on the methotrexate and steriods which are so much more toxic while waiting for the plaquenil again. I am pain free -- totally -- and loving all this exercise and good health.

My daughter had a severe case of Graves disease and after having her thyroid radiated, she, too, has done great. She has the Graves eye disease, but it is now barely noticeable except when very stressed. She lives a healthy life-style and workouts out, too.

I gained 100 pounds when the RA first hit 16 years ago along with heart problems. Went into remission back then for a while, but still couldn't ever seem to lose. It was the heart that kept me from burning calories and exercising. It finally got so bad that I wasn't allowed to exercise and I was only given a 1in 3 chance of surviving 5 years. They finally decided to give me a CRT-D cardiac implant. The RA came back with a vengence about the time I had a CRT-D implant so again movement was difficult. Once I got the RA back under control and the implant was helping my heart functioned properly, I was able to finally address the weight issue and given the go-ahead to exercise. I went to both the rheumatologist and the cardiologist just last week and I now only need to see each one a year!

I walk a lot! (I average 15,000 steps a day and about 4,000 - 12,000 of those might be cardio walking). I ride a stationary bike most days and the rowing machine some. I stretch every day. I take Tai Chi classes twice a week which my rheumatologist recommends and that I absolutely love -- auto-immune diseases tend to be worse with stress so the Tai Chi helps calm me. I try to keep my immune system weak. I quit taking supplements that strengthen my immune system like CoQ-10. And I eat a lot less (not necessarily clean, but less and healthier now - 1200 calories). You can beat some of these crazy auto-immune diseases, lose weight, and be healthy, too. It's not impossible. You just have to have a doctor you love, have trust in them, read everything you can, but don't self-doctor. And move as much as you can when you can.

56604121.png