Calories burned vs. Steps taken

bad0451
bad0451 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wondering what everybody thinks about which one is more important if you have to make a choice between the two. For instance, if you make the calories burned, do you need to go ahead and get your steps or vice versa. I've had instances where I'm working in the yard and although the calories are burned, I get very few steps because I'm working in one place.

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited September 2015
    Calories burned, 100%.

Steps taken is a useless statistic that pedometer manufacturers are shoving down people's throat as the holy grail of congratulating yourself for doing something other than sitting on the couch......."I've got 10,000 steps today (pats self on back)".
    Plus, "steps taken" is way too subjective. Was that "step taken" from the couch to the fridge, or from your house to the park, along a trail, with weights in your hands? Was that "step taken" at a brisk pace, fast pace, or trudging along? Was that "step taken" on a level surface, at an incline or decline?

There are too many variables for the "steps taken" metric to be useful or beneficial in any way, shape or form.
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Steps get you off your backside and get moving. But calories are the main things we are interested in ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I burned about 500 cal this morning without taking single step (10,000m indoor rowing).......definitely calories burned if weight loss is the goal.

The whole 10,000 steps is a goal to get you moving but really has little to do with improved fitness or weight loss unless walking is your exercise of choice (and it is a good one...). The good part about 10,000 steps is that it`s an easy number to remember and, if you have an average stride length of 2.5 feet it translates into about 5 miles of walking daily....
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    bad0451 wrote: »
    Just wondering what everybody thinks about which one is more important if you have to make a choice between the two.

It depends what you're trying to determine from the data, and whether it's representative within your lifestyle.

I can do an session on my turbo trainer and my VivoSmart will buzz to tell me to move more after an hour, because it doesn't have any indication that I've just ridden 35km.

Equally I took 4000 steps at work today, with long periods sitting in front of a computer writing a report. I then took 12000 steps after work when I went for a run.

With all of these data collection mechanisms it's about applying some informed thought to what the data is telling you, and what you want to do with that.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I care most about calories burned, but I also like to get in my steps since I have a desk job. I really only watch the steps burned though on my rest day and non-run days.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Neither,
    I spend the whole summer working in the yard. I like the strength, flexabiliy, and balance I get from it, and don't worry about steps or calories- neither are counted, it is just my summer daily activity.

Cheers, h.

• momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Calories burned for sure!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    steps for challenges...calories to eat whatever I want and not gain weight :)
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited September 2015
    Neither,
    I spend the whole summer working in the yard. I like the strength, flexabiliy, and balance I get from it, and don't worry about steps or calories- neither are counted, it is just my summer daily activity.

Cheers, h.

I love this statement.

I've seen from time to time people logging, or asking about how to log, chores/routine activities.
    "I cleaned the house today.....got to log it into MFP."
    "I went from my desk to the copier.....I wonder how many steps I walked/calories I burned."
    "I had sex.......time to ask about how many calories sex burns in the MFP forum so that I can humble brag about getting some, and elicit a 'look at me' reaction and a million 'if you're doing it right/long enough...' innuendo comments".

Yes, you walked.......you're one step ahead of the person sitting on a couch (and I emphasize, "one step"). Congratulations for avoiding the temptations of sitting and binge-watching. What should you log into MFP..........to paraphrase Willy Wonka, "You get nothing!!! (except for some self-gratification, but keep it in check and perspective)"