Post Surgery weight Loss - NEED ADVICE on how to keep it off

Options
kooner2014
kooner2014 Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
HI, I have recently undergone surgery and have lost 20 pounds over the last three weeks. I am eating healthier and smaller portions, plus lots of water. I am wondering if I am able to keep the weight from coming back. I have internal stitches so physical activity is limited for 4 more weeks, just walking for now. any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

Replies

• mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just Burn More calories that you take in. Since you can't work out right now, figure out your sedimentary burn rate, then eat less calories than that, and don't eat anything processed. Only fresh whole foods, with lots and lots of water.
  • kooner2014
    Options
    That been the plan to date, I am eating way less carbs and meat, increased the lentils and fruits/veg and water, but I am worried that I can't keep that up
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Plenty of people lose weight with walking being their only exercise. Just make sure you keep how many cals you're eating in line and there's no reason (or not many) that you shouldn't be able to keep it off.
  • dannywallis
    dannywallis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The key challenge for you is to keep your protein up (around 30% of your daily intake), keep your refined sugars to a minimum and instead source your carbs from natural vegetables (not tinned ideally). In addition to that and most importantly, stay in a small calorie deficit. This is key to maintaining your body weight. The high protein content will stop you burning muscle while in a calorie deficit while the quality carbs and low calorie count will both fuel the body but not enough to store fat. Add in whatever additional exercise you can currently manage and you will be fine.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I lost 25-30 pounds, almost to my goal weight with walking as my only exercise. I only added some weight training near the end. I still do mostly walking. It works just fine - and I'm not even doing massive amounts. About 2 miles a day at about 15-17 minutes/mile.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat fresh, whole, organic or any other specific type of food to lose weight. Just use MFP to determine a calorie goal, log what you're eating to track your calories and eat to that goal. You'll either maintain your weight loss or even lose more, depending on what's right for you.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    kooner2014 wrote: »
    That been the plan to date, I am eating way less carbs and meat, increased the lentils and fruits/veg and water, but I am worried that I can't keep that up

Then find something you can keep up. Personally, I don't have anything that is off-limits as it makes me feel deprived. If I want carbs/fast food/alcohol/etc, I'll have it so long as I stay within my calorie goal. Set your goals in MFP and stick to your calories and you'll do just fine. Good luck!
  • mtbiker1069
    Options
    I do agree with SueInAz, definitely track what you eat on MFP, but you do need to watch what you eat, so I do disagree with her on that. If you want to loose/maintain weight AND be healthy, it's easier if you will eat fresh whole foods. As Dannywallis said, limit refined sugars, ect. I'll add, stay away from processed foods.

IMO, you can't sit and eat chocolate all day, then stop when you hit your calorie limit. That's not healthy. Same with highly processed "diet" foods, like lean cuisine frozen meals, ect. They don't have the vitamin's and minerals you need to be healthy, plus they are filled with chemicals and preservative. Your choice, but, I can promise you, you can eat way more fresh food than you can "diet" foods, because the calorie content in fresh foods is much lower.

Personally, I'd rather eat 2 cups of leafy greens, a couple tomatoes, cucumber, and 8 oz portion of chicken breast, with a drizzle of vinegar and healthy oil to get my 400 calories for a meal, rather than one or two little chemical filled "Diet meals" or "Diet Shakes", and I'm going to feel full longer because I get to eat more volume. That's how I maintain a healthy weight anyway.

I also find that if I eat small meals, but more often, it's easier to maintain/lose weight. 3 - 400 calorie meals a day, + 3-200 calorie snacks (which is 2 or 3 cups of fresh fruits or veggies) puts me right where I need to be for calories. It' a ton of food, and since it natural foods I automatically hit my numbers for fiber, protien and carbs, and I stay below on sodium, cholesterol, ect.

BTW, My dinner will be, 2 - 6 ounce filets of grilled tilapia, 1 cup of steamed broccolli, and a cup of Quinoa and brown rice mixed. 440 calories, and so much food I can barely fit it on my plate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I do agree with SueInAz, definitely track what you eat on MFP, but you do need to watch what you eat, so I do disagree with her on that. If you want to loose/maintain weight AND be healthy, it's easier if you will eat fresh whole foods. As Dannywallis said, limit refined sugars, ect. I'll add, stay away from processed foods.

IMO, you can't sit and eat chocolate all day, then stop when you hit your calorie limit. That's not healthy. Same with highly processed "diet" foods, like lean cuisine frozen meals, ect. They don't have the vitamin's and minerals you need to be healthy, plus they are filled with chemicals and preservative. Your choice, but, I can promise you, you can eat way more fresh food than you can "diet" foods, because the calorie content in fresh foods is much lower.

Personally, I'd rather eat 2 cups of leafy greens, a couple tomatoes, cucumber, and 8 oz portion of chicken breast, with a drizzle of vinegar and healthy oil to get my 400 calories for a meal, rather than one or two little chemical filled "Diet meals" or "Diet Shakes", and I'm going to feel full longer because I get to eat more volume. That's how I maintain a healthy weight anyway.

I also find that if I eat small meals, but more often, it's easier to maintain/lose weight. 3 - 400 calorie meals a day, + 3-200 calorie snacks (which is 2 or 3 cups of fresh fruits or veggies) puts me right where I need to be for calories. It' a ton of food, and since it natural foods I automatically hit my numbers for fiber, protien and carbs, and I stay below on sodium, cholesterol, ect.

BTW, My dinner will be, 2 - 6 ounce filets of grilled tilapia, 1 cup of steamed broccolli, and a cup of Quinoa and brown rice mixed. 440 calories, and so much food I can barely fit it on my plate.

No one, especially me, is advocating a diet of nothing but chocolate. I never said any such thing or that one doesn't need to watch what they eat.

The problem is, there's such a misconception that you have to eat a special way to lose weight and spend a lot of money buying high end items to do it. It's unhelpful in that it pushes people away from doing what they need to do to decrease their weight and improve their health because they think it's all too much. They feel deprived of the foods they like to eat and are more likely to give up and go back completely to old habits and weight gain.

If the main goal is to maintain or lose weight, simply eating the right calorie amount of the foods you currently eat is enough. Many people find that as simply logging and maintaining a calorie goal becomes routine they start making good substitutions for the more unhealthy, and nutritionally void items, and begin eating more whole foods as a result. The slow changes are more sustainable and less overwhelming and more likely to lead to success.
  • mtbiker1069
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

No one, especially me, is advocating a diet of nothing but chocolate. I never said any such thing or that one doesn't need to watch what they eat.

The problem is, there's such a misconception that you have to eat a special way to lose weight and spend a lot of money buying high end items to do it. It's unhelpful in that it pushes people away from doing what they need to do to decrease their weight and improve their health because they think it's all too much. They feel deprived of the foods they like to eat and are more likely to give up and go back completely to old habits and weight gain.

If the main goal is to maintain or lose weight, simply eating the right calorie amount of the foods you currently eat is enough. Many people find that as simply logging and maintaining a calorie goal becomes routine they start making good substitutions for the more unhealthy, and nutritionally void items, and begin eating more whole foods as a result. The slow changes are more sustainable and less overwhelming and more likely to lead to success.

I didn't say you were advocating eating chocolate, I was just using that as an example. Though you didn't say the OP needed to watch what they eat, but they just need a calorie defect. That's the misconception I'm trying to clear up.

I'm not advocating buying high end items either. Fresh fruits, veggies and meats are not expensive.

I'm also not advocating cutting out and depriving yourself of the foods you like to eat either.

I'm simple answering the question the OP asked. How to maintain weight when you cant' work out? I find that it's much easier to maintain that weight when you eat fresh whole foods because you can eat more volume for the same calorie content of other processed or diet foods, which makes you feel fuller longer, which helps keep you from over eating.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I didn't say you were advocating eating chocolate, I was just using that as an example. Though you didn't say the OP needed to watch what they eat, but they just need a calorie defect. That's the misconception I'm trying to clear up.

I'm not advocating buying high end items either. Fresh fruits, veggies and meats are not expensive.

I'm also not advocating cutting out and depriving yourself of the foods you like to eat either.

I'm simple answering the question the OP asked. How to maintain weight when you cant' work out? I find that it's much easier to maintain that weight when you eat fresh whole foods because you can eat more volume for the same calorie content of other processed or diet foods, which makes you feel fuller longer, which helps keep you from over eating.

Yes you are. You said "stay away from processed foods" and "Same with highly processed "diet" foods, like lean cuisine frozen meals, ect. They don't have the vitamin's and minerals you need to be healthy, plus they are filled with chemicals and preservative."

What if my lunch is a Stouffer's lasagna, a slice of garlic bread, and 2 Oreos? I'll grant you those items don't contain all the vitamins and minerals required for a human body to live on, but they aren't devoid of them and they are as filled with "chemicals" and "preservatives" as your "2 cups of leafy greens, a couple tomatoes, cucumber, and 8 oz portion of chicken breast, with a drizzle of vinegar and healthy oil".

OP, put your numbers into MFP with sedentary activity. Either log and don't eat back your walking calorie burns, or set-up as .5 pound loss per week and eat back most of your walking calories.
  • mtbiker1069
    Options
    Wow. You all are very touchy about suggestions. OP asked how to maintain weight when she can't workout. I posted what works for me, and boom. You all nit pick everything I say.. Now I remember why I don't browse these forums. Not a very nice crowd nor open to ideas that are different from yours.

Last thing I'll say. Next time your at the grocery store, look at what's in peoples carts. Overweight peoples basket will usually be filled with junk food. Processed, frozen, bagged and high in preservatives. (Oreo's, lean cuisines, ect)

Now, find the people that are in shape or at the proper weight. What's their cart filled with? Fresh Whole foods.

So OP sure, eat what you want, but keep your calorie count down. You choose, what's better for you and what going to make it easier for you to maintain your weight. Like I've said, for me, it's a lot easier to maintain and/or lose weight by eating fresh whole foods.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    you have to be careful in assuming what works for you and what you like to do is the solution for everyone. Eating "clean" or whole foods only is not a solution for everyone, nor is it necessary. And it really doesn't matter what's in other people's carts, only what's in your own. I eat all of the evil stuff and I have lost 40 pounds.

If eating "clean" foods works for you, then fantastic! You can still eat a healthy diet and have ice cream too! :)
  • SueInAz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wow. You all are very touchy about suggestions. OP asked how to maintain weight when she can't workout. I posted what works for me, and boom. You all nit pick everything I say.. Now I remember why I don't browse these forums. Not a very nice crowd nor open to ideas that are different from yours.

Last thing I'll say. Next time your at the grocery store, look at what's in peoples carts. Overweight peoples basket will usually be filled with junk food. Processed, frozen, bagged and high in preservatives. (Oreo's, lean cuisines, ect)

Now, find the people that are in shape or at the proper weight. What's their cart filled with? Fresh Whole foods.

So OP sure, eat what you want, but keep your calorie count down. You choose, what's better for you and what going to make it easier for you to maintain your weight. Like I've said, for me, it's a lot easier to maintain and/or lose weight by eating fresh whole foods.
    No one is trying to nitpick, you simply gave advice that comes from your own experience and put it forth as the only way to eat. You said " Only fresh whole foods, with lots and lots of water" and I pointed out that those types of things aren't necessary, because they aren't, I said that without quoting you because I was merely trying to clear up that misconception. You then jumped on my post and specifically picked on my advice. I countered. Until your last post, you never said "works for me". If you had, I probably would have let it go without saying a word because what works for you is great and there's nothing wrong with telling someone that.

You really shouldn't assume, or advocate, that what you believe is the right way to go about it is the only way. Because it isn't. "Clean eating" (I really hate that term) and whole foods aren't necessary to maintain weight loss or lose more. There are thousands of people on this site who are living proof of that. Sure, it's a better way to eat but it isn't necessary and that's the whole point here.

By the way, you're pretty judgmental about people and their grocery carts, aren't you? I stood behind a woman in line at my local Walmart Neighborhood grocery store this morning and watched her load her whole chickens, bulk pinto beans, tomatoes, greens, etc. onto the belt. She was severely overweight. One can get fat eating too much whole foods as easily as one can get fat on the processed foods you so despise. I certainly wasn't going to judge her, though, because I don't know her story. For all we know, she's lost 100 pounds already and is well on her way to a healthy weight.
  • SueInAz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ugh, double post.
  • mtbiker1069
    Options
    I never one time said the only way to do it is by eating clean. I simply offered it as a suggestion, and because I forgot to preface it by "What works for me" (and I can't can't go back and edit my Original Post) you people nit pick the *kitten* out of EVERYTHING I say.

I have stood in line at the grocery store, and looked at my own cart, and said to my wife. "no wonder we are fat". I'm not judging anyone by whats in their cart. You guys complete missed the point of that statement and take everything so literal.

Here, let me clear a few things up.

I am over weight, I'm not perfect, I do not eat healthy all the time, I sometimes go over my calorie intake for the day, I like to smoke pot, I like beer and scotch and I don't eat clean all the time, every meal of every single day.

But I continue to work in the direction to get to a healthy weight and WHAT WORKS FOR ME, and what keeps my doctor happy and what keeps me off of medications and supplements is to eat fresh.

There are always exceptions. I didn't realize I had to discuss every single exception and preface everything I say by "What works for me". Thought that was kind of a given, since we were all different.

I certainly know whom to not come to to get support and help now, and thanks for beating me into submission...

• pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    OP, you'll need protein for healing so watch your macros. When I had a hip replacement last year, it was just the impetus I needed to get me back on track with nutritious eating and counting calories. I couldn't drive for six weeks, so no fast food runs, and my friends were making good homemade healthy food to help me recover. I made up healthy grocery lists for them to get for me to cook once I could get around the house. Take advantage of this time to form & reinforce good habits! I knew it would be easy for me to sit around & snack all the time & end up gaining weight, but I didn't go through that expensive surgery & painful recovery just so I could drag 20 more pounds around!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    kooner2014 wrote: »

Then don't, and eat something you can keep up. I had kielbasa last night for dinner along with potatoes and green beans. I had an apple for breakfast, and home made spicy chicken pizza and sausage pizza for lunch. I'm going to have a fudge pop tonight for snack and I'll probably eat something loaded with carbs and meat for dinner tonight (after Ultimate frisbee, so we'll see what I'm in the mood for). All while losing ~1.5lb/week.

The key is to weigh/log everything and learn to make choice that keep you from feeling hungry all the time. You can do that eating lentils and fruits/veg, or you can do that eating whatever else floats your boat. You get fat because you ate too much, and yes, some things are easier to eat too much of that others, but that is where the food scale and logging comes in. If you weigh/log and stick to your goal, you'll achieve whatever you wanted by eating whatever you wanted.
  • kooner2014
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the info everyone, I am looking at eating smaller portions, whole foods when I can, but I will work in a few items like the odd cookie or chocolate, I think I just need to be careful not to over indulge. I also have eliminated alcohol in the past 4 weeks and will do so for another 4 , but I will most likely return the the social drinks, again will be watching my intake.