Why am I not losing any weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Getting underweight is not what I am trying to do.
    The 5kg is the flabby tummy, lovehandles and arm fat that I'm trying to lose. I see how by looking at the measuremeants it seems like I'm trying to become anorexic, but actually 55kg is the weight I've felt most comfortable at. When my stomach doesn't make 3 rolls when I bend. It's this kind of little amount of fat that I want to lose.
    Perhaps what you really want to do then, is lower your body fat percentage rather than just lose more weight? Start strength training while eating at maintenance calories and you'll get firmer rather than thinner.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The 5kg is the flabby tummy, lovehandles and arm fat that I'm trying to lose. I see how by looking at the measuremeants it seems like I'm trying to become anorexic, but actually 55kg is the weight I've felt most comfortable at. When my stomach doesn't make 3 rolls when I bend. It's this kind of little amount of fat that I want to lose.

It sounds like you need to develop muscle and not so much loose weight. You need to start an exercise program.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You might want more of a recomposition program. Losing more weight isn't likely to give you the results you're describing here. Recomp might: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

• qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Even on a super fit person, a normal healthy stomach has rolls when they bend. You have an unrealistic impression of what it means to be fit and healthy. Even a healthy, super fit athlete still carries fat because that is a normal part of the human body. What you call "love handles" are your body's natural fat stores and required for a healthy existence. At your height and weight I highly doubt that you look flabby and even so, you should be dealing with this by building muscle (recomp if you must) not seeking to lose even more weight. The path you are headed down will lead you to nothing other than illness....

• preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options

So you want to be tighter and firmer, not necessarily lighter.

Simple. Lift heavy weights. Or any other kind of strength training, that will lower your fat percentage and reduce the rolls.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

You might want more of a recomposition program. Losing more weight isn't likely to give you the results you're describing here. Recomp might: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

QFT. Recomp is the way to go, not losing more weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Agreed with all the recomp/build muscle posts. These will tighten up the "loose" parts. If you were to only lose weight, there's no guarantee that those loose parts will become tight.

Don't concentrate on the number on the scale.....ditch it.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Agreeing. You're at a Healthy weight. Up your cals and take up a weightlifting regimine.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    And the upside to all of this recomp advice, OP? You have plenty of calories to fit in your peanuts and beer! Seriously, this is the way to go. You'll be much happier with the end result.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »

Even on a super fit person, a normal healthy stomach has rolls when they bend. You have an unrealistic impression of what it means to be fit and healthy. Even a healthy, super fit athlete still carries fat because that is a normal part of the human body. What you call "love handles" are your body's natural fat stores and required for a healthy existence. At your height and weight I highly doubt that you look flabby and even so, you should be dealing with this by building muscle (recomp if you must) not seeking to lose even more weight. The path you are headed down will lead you to nothing other than illness....

OP, please listen to this advice.
  • arinamargarina
    arinamargarina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice!
    One more quick questions, do you think I can find body recomposition workouts I can do at home, with just 6lbs dumbbells?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice!
    One more quick questions, do you think I can find body recomposition workouts I can do at home, with just 6lbs dumbbells?

You can certainly start with body weight exercises, however, an important component of strength training is that you're increasing weight over time, as the current weights get easy. At some point, you'll need something heavier than your own weight and small hand weights.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I am 173cm and 59kg is so far away from being overweight it's really not funny. (In fact, it's six kilos under my goal weight!).

Try being 100kg at 173cm.