New data: Over 20% obesity in every single state in the U.S.

Options
The Centers for Disease Control use data from their Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System to track prevalence and changes in factors affecting health, morbidity, and mortality in the U.S. ("prevalence" means the number of cases that currently exist).

The 2014 data was updated as of September 21, and while I thought I had a good reality-based perspective on the trends, even I am dismayed. Every state now reports obesity rates of at LEAST 20%.

If you are a data nerd like me, there's a lot to look at (links below with pretty pictures included). Here's just a snapshot from the CDC Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity:

* 5 states and the District of Columbia had a prevalence of obesity between 20% and <25%.
* 23 states, Guam and Puerto Rico had a prevalence of obesity between 25% and <30%.
* 19 states had a prevalence of obesity between 30% and <35%.
* 3 states (Arkansas, Mississippi and West Virginia) had a prevalence of obesity of 35% or greater.
* The Midwest had the highest prevalence of obesity (30.7%), followed by the South (30.6%), the Northeast (27.3%), and the West (25.7%).

Two points are especially upsetting. One is that in 1990, the most obese state in America (Mississippi, 15%) still had a lower rate than the least obese state in America today (Colorado, 21%). In other words, the entire U.S. is now more obese than the most obese state was in 1990.

In terms of population biology, the time from 1990 to the present is trivial. The fact that the obesity rate has gone up so drastically is really disturbing.

The second distressing fact is that 31.8% of children in the U.S. are either obese or overweight. That statistic is obscene.

Links if you want to explore the data further:

CDC page: cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html

Excellent and detailed analysis by the Robert Wood Johnson foundation (explore all of the links at the top of the page):
stateofobesity.org/

Blessings, strength, motivation, and success to all of us trying to turn these trends around in our own lives and through supporting our families and loved ones in their efforts.

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Don't look at me, I just lowered my state's stat by 1/9.91 million. Someone else clearly is at fault.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Don't look at me, I just lowered my state's stat by 1/9.91 million. Someone else clearly is at fault.

Solid post
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup. Something's gotta change.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm looking around, and I'm surprised CT is in the yellow. I thought it would be higher.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this, but man, how depressing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I didn't click the link, but have seen the stats before and Yes, it's very disturbing how much fatter we have become in such a short time.

They need to do a better job on nutrition in schools. People don't know anything. Half (or more) of MFP regular posters never even heard that weight gain and loss was related to the calories in the food they ate. How do people get out of school without learning that?!

Personally, I think they should swap out Chemistry for Anatomy in high schools. Most people do not go into science classes in college, so the Chem is all but worthless to them. EVERYONE has a body. They should learn how it works, why all those vitamins and minerals are important. That's something that would serve them well through life. And when someone they love gets sick, they'll have some freaking idea what that organ does and won't have to rely on googling, which is a poor replacement for an actual education. (I realize that you cannot learn a whole lot about Physiology without a decent background in Chem, but they could learn enough. They don't have to learn to differentiate between metabolic and respiratory acidosis, but should learn why they breathe.)

Get the kids outside. Day Care and video games have taken over. Kids need to use their little bodies, outside, playing.

Whew. Kind of ranted there. Rant over. :)
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Good rant.
  • senecarr
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

It's depressing that people are unhappy with their appearances due to excess weight and also depressing that people get increased risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer, and diabetes due to carrying excess weight.

Then again, you gotta die of something and despite this, life expectancy in the Western world is at an all time high.

We've got an over abundance of cheap, available food unlike any other time in human history. So, naturally, people are eating too much of it and getting fatter.

That's better than what we've historically lived through (forever) as a human race. Chronic food shortages, forced periods of fasting for lack of food, crop failures with no immediate alternative food sources, livestock die offs with no immediate alternative food sources, death from starvation, etc.

This is a new era of extended abundance and availability of delicious food. We haven't adjusted to it, physically or mentally.

I still think it's better than the alternative.
    Relative privations and false dichotomy. If someone punches me in the face, it still is upsetting even if it beats getting kicked in the groin.
  • senecarr
    edited September 2015
    Options

It's depressing that people are unhappy with their appearances due to excess weight and also depressing that people get increased risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer, and diabetes due to carrying excess weight.

Then again, you gotta die of something and despite this, life expectancy in the Western world is at an all time high.

We've got an over abundance of cheap, available food unlike any other time in human history. So, naturally, people are eating too much of it and getting fatter.

That's better than what we've historically lived through (forever) as a human race. Chronic food shortages, forced periods of fasting for lack of food, crop failures with no immediate alternative food sources, livestock die offs with no immediate alternative food sources, death from starvation, etc.

This is a new era of extended abundance and availability of delicious food. We haven't adjusted to it, physically or mentally.

Relative privations and false dichotomy. If someone punches me in the face, it still is upsetting even if it beats getting kicked in the groin.

Sorry about your groin troubles. But I stand by my dichotomy. Folks can choose to moderate what how much they eat in times of abundance, even if it's difficult. If the food's not there, it's not there and that's that. That's human history, smartypants.
    Nope. If the food's not there, starvation mode will protect people from starving to death during famine.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Ha! Nice!
  • senecarr
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sorry about your groin troubles. But I stand by my dichotomy. Folks can choose to moderate what how much they eat in times of abundance, even if it's difficult. If the food's not there, it's not there and that's that. That's human history, smartypants.
    Nope. If the food's not there, starvation mode will protect people from starving to death during famine. Duh.

Yeah, tell that to the ghosts of millions of folks who've died from starvation over the past 5 thousand years or so. Duh.
    Ghosts? Only silly people believe in ghosts or the laws of thermodynamics applying to a human body.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Our provincial statistics are 35% of people are overweight or obese, 20% are obese. Apparently our province is the worst :( Though I am proud to say that our family improves those statistics, especially my kids!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Dr. William Davis states if parents, kids and pets are all obese you can expect it is due to some factor other than genetics. :)

We did a trade show in La Crosse WI last week and even at Wal-Mart we did not see the number of obese people like in the south. Nothing scientific but it was unusual we thought. It was a Sunday evening when we were at WM.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I didn't click the link, but have seen the stats before and Yes, it's very disturbing how much fatter we have become in such a short time.

They need to do a better job on nutrition in schools. People don't know anything. Half (or more) of MFP regular posters never even heard that weight gain and loss was related to the calories in the food they ate. How do people get out of school without learning that?!

Personally, I think they should swap out Chemistry for Anatomy in high schools. Most people do not go into science classes in college, so the Chem is all but worthless to them. EVERYONE has a body. They should learn how it works, why all those vitamins and minerals are important. That's something that would serve them well through life. And when someone they love gets sick, they'll have some freaking idea what that organ does and won't have to rely on googling, which is a poor replacement for an actual education. (I realize that you cannot learn a whole lot about Physiology without a decent background in Chem, but they could learn enough. They don't have to learn to differentiate between metabolic and respiratory acidosis, but should learn why they breathe.)

Get the kids outside. Day Care and video games have taken over. Kids need to use their little bodies, outside, playing.

Whew. Kind of ranted there. Rant over. :)

A cooking class should also be mandatory. I would say a nutrition class, but not until the cult of the heart healthy whole grain is dead.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing.
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Blessings, strength, motivation, and success to all of us trying to turn these trends around in our own lives and through supporting our families and loved ones in their efforts.

Yes, we should help the individuals in our orbit, but there is no way this problem can be addressed without serious changes from the top. It is clearly the opposite of an individual problem.
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Yes, we should help the individuals in our orbit, but there is no way this problem can be addressed without serious changes from the top. It is clearly opposite of an individual problem.

The top won't change a thing unless the bottom kicks them in the bottom, and hard. They take too many bribes (oh excuse me, they call them campaign contributions) from the food industry to change anything without being forced to.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Dr. William Davis states if parents, kids and pets are all obese you can expect it is due to some factor other than genetics. :)

We did a trade show in La Crosse WI last week and even at Wal-Mart we did not see the number of obese people like in the south. Nothing scientific but it was unusual we thought. It was a Sunday evening when we were at WM.
    The only obese creature in my house is the youngest house cat. I'm not sure how to put her on a diet while not starving the senior cat.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My family isn't waiting for someone else to make changes. It's our fault if we eat too many calories, and it's our responsibility to maintain our own good health by exercising for heart and body health (prevent osteoporosis via weight lifting etc). It actually makes me feel good, and makes it easier to make good choices, when I empower myself by realizing that this is something that I can control.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

Yes, we should help the individuals in our orbit, but there is no way this problem can be addressed without serious changes from the top. It is clearly opposite of an individual problem.

The top won't change a thing unless the bottom kicks them in the bottom, and hard. They take too many bribes (oh excuse me, they call them campaign contributions) from the food industry to change anything without being forced to.

Hmm yeah that too. Honestly, the fastest way would be a single event that captured national attention for at least 1.5 days, probably bc it was pretty bad. But the effects of obesity are slow and non-dramatic, and tv shows are made around them for entertainment anyway, and the causes are always, always in debate.

Most people are fine with the explanation that "it's too many lazy people that somehow started eating too much food. All at the same time, randomly"
  • Azuriaz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

Hmm yeah that too. Honestly, the fastest way would be a single event that captured national attention for at least 1.5 days, probably bc it was pretty bad. But the effects of obesity are slow and non-dramatic, and tv shows are made around them for entertainment anyway, and the causes are always, always in debate.

Most people are fine with the explanation that "it's too many lazy people that somehow started eating too much food. All at the same time, randomly"

I vote for a general strike. But it's like herding cats. Fat, apathetic, sick cats.