Do you count flavored water or carbonated water in water int

BettyMargaret
BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
LOL... My whole question was in my title! It's just so easy to drink the flavored waters, they keep me off the diet coke, but are they better? Theres nothing in them calorie or nutrition wise, but it does have artificial sweetener. Say anything you feel... as long as you say I can still drink it... lol

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    I do! I'd say as long as it isn't really high in calories or sugar, it can be counted as h2o
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    I count them as water. I use the little crystal light packets - water! Fresh lemonade - water! Flavored waters - water!

Sodas - not water

Coffee/tea - not water
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I drink plain water now but back when I was drinking flavored water, I didn't count it towards my water goal. I'm sure you can, but I didn't. Nothing beats the plain ol H2O
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Love gatorade Propel in my water.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Yes.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    I count both flavored & carbonated in my water intake. I like to splurge on Coke Zero! Better than coffee & beer?!:drinker:
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    I count them as water. I use the little crystal light packets - water! Fresh lemonade - water! Flavored waters - water!

Sodas - not water

Coffee/tea - not water

I like the ones that are carbonated, would they be considered soda? (please say no!)
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    I've always heard as long as it has no caffiene calories, it can count as your water!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Carbonated does NOT count. Only Decaf, non carbonated and no sugar can be counted as water. That leaves ALOT of choices!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    As long as there's no caffeine or alcohol, I think you can count them as water. So herbal tea = water, but NOT caffeinated green/black teas. Club soda, flavored italian sodas = water, but NOT diet coke, coke zero, diet dew, etc.
  • karbow11
    karbow11 Posts: 2
    I count it as water. I only drink the ones that have 0 calories like the Sobe Lifewater 0! I love the carbonated waters helps with my soda addiction!

*2 months and down 27 lbs!
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    I count tea as water. There are generally no calories in tea, as I don't add cream or sugar, so it's just herbs soaking in water.
  • mjmedik
    mjmedik Posts: 1
    Anything caffeine-free can be counted towards water. Caffeine is a diuretic so you aren't actually hydrating. Post-workout drinks should be your only source of sugar beverages as your body uses 100% of the sugar and doesn't convert any to stored fat, but sugar drinks can still be counted towards your water total. the water total is just to make sure you are hydrating yourself properly. Best way to judge this is by pee color, which should be as close to clear as possible.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    My doctor told me if it doesn't have caffeine or calories, I can count it as water, if it does, then don't. That takes out the crystal light stuff, sodas, coffee , and tea.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    LOL... My whole question was in my title! It's just so easy to drink the flavored waters, they keep me off the diet coke, but are they better? Theres nothing in them calorie or nutrition wise, but it does have artificial sweetener. Say anything you feel... as long as you say I can still drink it... lol

YES COUNT IT!

There is absolutely no medical evidence that drinking water over any other no calorie drink will have a better affect on your weight loss. I'm sure you'll get post after post suggesting, claiming, even demanding you should count nothing but plain water. But it is all nonsense when it comes to weight loss. In fact there is some evidence that drinking no calorie caffeinated beverages like coffee or tea can actually improve weight loss.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Personally I wouldn't count it unless it is pure water. The others have artificial sugars. . .dyes. . .and artificial flavors, which is different than actually just consuming water. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member

YES COUNT IT!

There is absolutely no medical evidence that drinking water over any other no calorie drink will have a better affect on your weight loss. I'm sure you'll get post after post suggesting, claiming, even demanding you should count nothing but plain water. But it is all nonsense when it comes to weight loss. In fact there is some evidence that drinking no calorie caffeinated beverages like coffee or tea can actually improve weight loss.

Yes it is okay to drink caffeinated beverages in moderation. . . But water means exactly that. . . water! Not trying to offend anyone, but I am a nutrition major, and water helps aid in your digestion as well as regulate your body temperature and metabolism. . . so water is important, and it is not a myth. ..
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    I drink carbonated water that has no sodium, artificial sweetener, or anything else. I count those in my water intake since it is just water with bubbles.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

YES COUNT IT!

Yes it is okay to drink caffeinated beverages in moderation. . . But water means exactly that. . . water! Not trying to offend anyone, but I am a nutrition major, and water helps aid in your digestion as well as regulate your body temperature and metabolism. . . so water is important, and it is not a myth. ..

Of course water is important. I think everyone knows that. BUT, the point of the 8 glasses of water a day is to stay hydrated. And there is plenty of medical evidence that drinking ANY non-alcoholic beverage, including tea, coffee, soda, sugary drinks, artificially sweetened drinks, juice (vegetable or fruit), etc. will keep you just as hydrated as water. This is because they are all mostly water. That doesn't meant they are healhtier than water. They are not (except maybe tea because it has antioxidants and has been shown in studies to improve health). It means that when you are logging water sources in the 8-a-day log you should count them.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I only count plain water as water. Nothing else hydrates me like regular water.
This discussion has been closed.