Any runners out there who don't lift?

Options
Looking for some insight here. I began running 5 months ago and absolutely love it. I look forward to it and it has very much become part of my routine. For clarification, I do not run to lose weight; I run because I enjoy it, appreciate the mental benefits and love that it allows me a beer or two in the evenings.

My "problem" (if you can call it that) is that while I love cardio, I don't enjoy lifting. I haven't tried many of the programs that I've seen recommended by the MFP community (5x5, NROLFW, etc.). My attempts have been at home videos (30 Day Shred, P90X), personal training, crossfit classes, and random workouts I've clipped from magazines or found online.

So I guess my question is, are there any other runners out there who aren't motivated in the weight lifting department? Do you "force" yourself to do it anyway or do you supplement with something other than lifting (yoga, pilates, etc)?

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I run 20-25 miles a week, but running is where I struggle. Lifting is my passion. So I imagine it is the same issue but in reverse. What I will say is that if you have not tried any of the real beginner lifting programs (5x5, Starting Strength or similar) how do you really know you won't like it? One of the big things if you are going to get started lifting is to make sure you get a balanced program and make sure you learn the proper movement techniques.
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Go Cougs! I am the exact opposite of you. Love to lift, hate cardio. One of my employees is a runner. I think she is crazy, she thinks I am crazy. But we both do a little bit of the other because it is good for us.

What is it about lifting that you don't like?

PS - I would consider 30 Day Shred, P90X and some Crossfit classes to be more Cardio than lifting.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I haven't lifted in a long time. I devote too much time in my running. 60 miles a week leaves me little time otherwise. I do run hills which gives my lower body a good workout. I was doing some core and resistance band work for legs and hips as well.

I may get back into the weight room in the winter after my marathon is done in December.
  • bsmith891
    bsmith891 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can always give calisthenics a shot. You can literally build your whole body with nothing but bodyweight movements if you choose to pursue it. There's a lot of beginner references out there. And you can also search things like the street workouts, bar workouts, calisthenics competitions, or guys like frank medrano for a look at the more extreme side of things. One big positive is that it requires very little equipment.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Stan's sounds like my story. I don't mind the gym, but I've got only so much time and 60 - 90 - 120 minutes a day for running leaves no time for the gym, and frankly I much prefer a good run. I do a small amount of bodyweight workouts at home.

No complaints though.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Looking for some insight here. I began running 5 months ago and absolutely love it. I look forward to it and it has very much become part of my routine. For clarification, I do not run to lose weight; I run because I enjoy it, appreciate the mental benefits and love that it allows me a beer or two in the evenings.

My "problem" (if you can call it that) is that while I love cardio, I don't enjoy lifting. I haven't tried many of the programs that I've seen recommended by the MFP community (5x5, NROLFW, etc.). My attempts have been at home videos (30 Day Shred, P90X), personal training, crossfit classes, and random workouts I've clipped from magazines or found online.

So I guess my question is, are there any other runners out there who aren't motivated in the weight lifting department? Do you "force" yourself to do it anyway or do you supplement with something other than lifting (yoga, pilates, etc)?

Lifting is not essential for fitness, same as any specific exercise routine is not essential for fitness.
    Ideally, your exercise routine should include both cardio and strength training, but how you approach this, it is up to you. With running, which I have been doing for the majority of my adult life as basic exercise, I would suggest you also add some basic body weight training exercises twice per week. If you enjoy cardio in general, not just running, maybe look for a circuit type class that involves also some aspect of weight training, there are lots out there.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I run and have no plan to go to the gym - just do what you enjoy most
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I find resistance training to be dull as f**k, running gives me headspace that I can't get when I'm faffing around with equipment and in rest periods between sets.

Notwithstanding that I can get what I need, in terms of leg development, from cycling and for upper body and core from swimming.

Running is the priority.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm another in the "running takes up all my workout time" camp; running 45-55 miles a week, I know I could benefit from lifting, but I just don't have time/motivation. I can barely remember to do core strength work at home for 10 minutes a couple times a week (even though I really should be doing it, because I have wonky hips; oops). However once my crazy marathon training season is over, I want to take advantage of my free university weight room and do a bit of lifting because I know I should... or at least cheat and find a class that works my upper body/core ;)

I say: do you. If you don't want to lift, don't.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Love cardio, detest weight lifting. Some people believe its the be all and end all of excercise. For me its boring and incredibly repetitive.....I did it for many years too!

Personally I get everything I need from Running, Max Out 30 and Insanity.
    Shaun.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy core exercises, weight lifting, or resistance training of any kind, but I make sure to include it once a week because I feel it makes me a better runner, not to mention it is good for bone density etc.
    I'm training for a half currently so I don't have the schedule of a marathon runner, but I feel it's important. Don't love it, but I see it as a necessary part of training for the sport I do love. I had a hip flexor injury earlier in the year, which the physio attributed at least in part to not supplementing my running with resistance and flexibility work.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Most runners don't lift. I've been running since I was 13 or so. Never lifted. Took up boxing a few years ago, but still run for relaxation and endurance benefits. Still don't lift. Push-ups, squats, crunches, ocassional climbing or pull-ups have done me just fine. People assume I lift from my build.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My main focus is running also. While I know that strength training will help me become a better runner, I am like you, I really don't enjoy it all that much. When I am not training for something, I usually force myself to do some type of strength training. I have done P90X, NROLFW and others. I have to say, when I am sticking with a training program, I feel really strong and fit, where as when I am focusing all of my efforts on running, I just feel like I can run a lot.

That said, I am currently in the finishing stages of marathon training. Like others, I find it really hard to find the time or desire to do any type of formal strength training when I am running 50-60 miles per week. However, if I do nothing but run, I find that I end up with more aches and pains along the way. I make sure to find the time to do some stretching, yoga, pilates, foam rolling and body weight exercises throughout the week, even if it is only 20 minutes 2-3 times per week. It really does help. On the other hand, after several months of concentrating my efforts mainly on running, I am actually looking forward to adding a formal strength training routine back into my life. In a nut shell, I go back and forth, I guess.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    RobynLB83 wrote: »
    Most runners don't lift.

This. The only benefit I could see for lifting is to enhance running performance, but it sounds like you run for enjoyment, so there's very little justification.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW...

I don't enjoy lifting, but I really like what it does for me, so I try to maintain a regular lifting routine during the winter off-season.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I disagree with some of the others that say "most runners don't lift". Everything I've read and from my personal experience is that strength training is an important part of running, in order to provide your legs/core with the power to run faster/longer, as well as injury prevention. It doesn' t have to be heavy lifting, could just as easily be body weight, resistence bands, etc. Muscular imbalances and weakness can cause or perpetuate much of the repetitive injuries that runners experience. I personally have had to work on strengthening my hip flexors and hamstrings to help prevent further aggravation of runner's knee. Calf work for achilles issues.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I disagree with some of the others that say "most runners don't lift". Everything I've read and from my personal experience is that strength training is an important part of running, in order to provide your legs/core with the power to run faster/longer, as well as injury prevention. It doesn' t have to be heavy lifting, could just as easily be body weight, resistence bands, etc. Muscular imbalances and weakness can cause or perpetuate much of the repetitive injuries that runners experience. I personally have had to work on strengthening my hip flexors and hamstrings to help prevent further aggravation of runner's knee. Calf work for achilles issues.

No one said lifting isn't beneficial to running. It's just that my own anecdotal experience is that, more often than not, people who run don't also lift weights.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »

No one said lifting isn't beneficial to running. It's just that my own anecdotal experience is that, more often than not, people who run don't also lift weights.

I think this is true. That is not to say that runners do not do body weight exercises and/or yoga or stretching to increase their strength and flexibility. I think most do some form of this, but that is not lifting weights.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lift/do body weight exercises more in the winter than I do in late summer/fall when I am training for things. I don't really enjoy lifting much at all - though I do enjoy the results once I get into it. So in 'training' season, I generally just do misc core work and strength exercises that target any problem areas I'm having when I'm watching tv a bit before bed or on the weekends. I also have this thing hanging in a doorway of my house that I have to pass through often where I can just hop up and do 5 or 10 pull ups or hanging leg lifts when I have an extra minute or so.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I've always been of the mindset that the only workout routine you'll stick to is the one you enjoy. For me, that's been running.

I don't post all that much but lurk all the time and there are so many threads about heavy lifting, it had me thinking I might be missing something. My work offers yoga twice a week and I'm thinking of adding that since it's free and convenient.

Glad to know I'm not the only one here - I appreciate the responses!