Healthy Mexican Ideas?

Options
Hurricane_C
Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
Hey all! We're having a "Mostly Mexican" carry in at work tomorrow and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for some healthier recipes. I'm trying to avoid a lot of dairy as well (I don't tolerate it all that well, and I'm BF'ing and my little one doesn't seem to like it too much either).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cooking light: healthy mexican
    wheather you add cheese is up to you
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You can make your own tortilla chips in the oven using corn tortillas and either spray oil or a light tossing of olive oil. Add some meat, veggies, and salsa on top for nachos!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue I have with mexican food is all the extra sodium. I ditch the packaged seasonings and make my own, it's mostly chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and black pepper.

You can just mix up your own creation, use brown rice or quinoa blend, corn, chopped jalapenos,onions, tomatoes, black beans and chicken (use a roasted chicken from the market that's precooked) and then if you want you can top with cheese and bake or just leave it as is. It works hot or cold just be sure to add some seasoning.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I make salsa chicken in the crockpot:
    6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Jar of salsa (red or green)
    Seasoning: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, etc
    Can add can of black beans and corn (drained)
    Lime juice

Cook on low 4-6 hrs, shred the chicken, serve on top of rice or in tortillas with whatever toppings you like.

Would be easy for a work lunch because it could cook overnight before work, then stay warm in crockpot, people could make their own bowls or tacos.

I would volunteer to make the chicken and have a coworker bring the accompaniments.

Yum!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Lots of options on the SkinnyTaste website. Search her casseroles, appetizers and dips. She tends to make a lot of things with a Mexican flare.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad!!!!

Lots of veg, black beans, seasoned meat and maybe a little cheese? Yum...
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Buy no salt added fahjita seasoning and make some chicken, peppers and onions with the seasoning in a crock pot. I slice two or three chicken breasts, add the peppers, onions, mushrooms and the seasoning. Cook on low 2 1/2 hours. I use with low carb ole wraps.
  • 52shadesofClay
    52shadesofClay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Lots of options on the SkinnyTaste website. Search her casseroles, appetizers and dips. She tends to make a lot of things with a Mexican flare.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

I made her Avocado and Hummus Taquitos this weekend and they were delicious! It was the perfect lunch for Football Sunday!
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Baked Chicken Fajitas. I modified this one a little. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-chicken-fajitas.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!
  • jenniferrdoherty
    Options
    I have a healthy recipe under my recipes for Mexican corn salad
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to be using some of these suggestions! OP I hope your work meal went well.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Late to this post, but I made the Chipotle Orange Pork Tacos from Budget Bytes a while ago and they were awesome.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Look up Sunny Anderson's Huevos Rancheros recipe on the food network site. It's delicious and not overly unhealthy.
  • Mal88fan
    Mal88fan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm late posting this but wanted to tell you what I do when I crave Mexican. I cook ground turkey, add in a Mrs Dash taco seasoning pack with 1/2 cup water. 1 can low sodium black beans, 1 can low sodium diced tomatoes & add some sliced onion. Simmer for 10 minutes. I usually top with 2 tbsp of low fat cheese & some salsa. I either eat this by itself or on a bed of spinach leaves. Cures my craving every time & my hubby loves it.