Options
2»

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you'll be happier and find more success if you:

-start weighing your food.
    -then start eating closer to 1600 or so total calories per day.

If your TDEE is 2000 and you average 1200 or so total calories, I think you're trying for too great of a deficit for your goals. Of course, you first have to start logging food as accurately as possible, since you might be eating closer to 1600 on average already.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since you have PCOS, it may be beneficial to go lower carb. Many of the women I know on this board tend to see the greatest success around 80-120g per day.

If you want to research it a bit more here is the link to the PCOS group . It's a pretty common thing.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree....burning over 600 is treacherous! But I do high intensity cardio for 80-120 minutes a minimum of 5x a week so it's become standard for me. I've googled my workouts in addition to the calories displayed on the monitor so I'm fairly confident with my calories burned. I realize most people cannot sustain that type of a workout with that frequency but I've been a distance runner all of my life and have an extreme endurance. I can see that not weighing my food would have an impact though! I'm going to invest in a scale. I should note that I most often over estimate my food intake just to play it safe for example....if I log 2 cups of cooked pasta, it was actually pasta with peppers and tomatoes, which would have actually brought the total calories and carbs down had I factored the veggies into that 2 cups.

Hi, I also do a lot of cardio. I have never truly believed the read outs of cardio machines etc. I have an workout schedule of 4 x runs a week and 4x gym session 70-100 minutes each. I have been running for 18 months and starting hitting the gym about 2 months go. I wouldn't eat back my exercise cals all the time but sometimes I would eat up to 50% if I was hungry.

I recently got a Fitbit charge hr and have been keen to compare. First of all my dog walks and runs which I always track with runkeeper matched the exact calorie burn to my Fitbit, give or take 5 cals. I was then really keen to hit the gym and compare! According to my Fitbit most machines where out by 40% inflation to actual burn. The heart rate plates in the machines where wrong by about 30 Bpm and some machines where inflated by 60%. So for my normal routine I would have logged 900-1000 cals but it was actually 550cals.

Another thing was a personal training told us the type of arc trainer machine we where using burn more calories then running outside. Which I found hard to believe, I compared my gym vs running and gym on average is a 6 cal per minute burn for me where as running is between 11-8 cals depend on run type.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    In my philosophy thread I give a way to work this out with rough numbers, and then you can use a trend graph with your scale for 2-3 weeks to fine tune from there.

Even I, who believe in eating not much, think that 800kcals/day without a corresponding feed day on the weekend is probably a little low. However, I don't think you really need to eat back your exercise calories, so you can eat a more sustainable quantity throughout the week and let your workouts just drive additional loss, or eat back a fraction of those calories instead of 100% of them.

It's very hard to get 600 calories of exercise in one day, so your numbers don't quite add up.

Osric

I don't understand this statement. I quite frequently hit 600 and often go over.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    In my philosophy thread I give a way to work this out with rough numbers, and then you can use a trend graph with your scale for 2-3 weeks to fine tune from there.

Even I, who believe in eating not much, think that 800kcals/day without a corresponding feed day on the weekend is probably a little low. However, I don't think you really need to eat back your exercise calories, so you can eat a more sustainable quantity throughout the week and let your workouts just drive additional loss, or eat back a fraction of those calories instead of 100% of them.

It's very hard to get 600 calories of exercise in one day, so your numbers don't quite add up.

Osric

I don't understand this statement. I quite frequently hit 600 and often go over.
    As I understand it, you're not a 128 pound woman.

That said, I think 600 is unreasonably high for her.

• tincanonastring
    Options

Osric

That is definitely true. Only on Fridays. I got it now; clearly haven't had enough coffee yet today.
  • WBB55
    Options

Osric

I'd want a HRM or more data to confirm a burn like that, myself. I mean if it's really 2 hours of running, sure.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Since you have PCOS, it may be beneficial to go lower carb. Many of the women I know on this board tend to see the greatest success around 80-120g per day.

If you want to research it a bit more here is the link to the PCOS group . It's a pretty common thing.

I'd suggest she get her caloric consumption in order via weighing first. If she goes low carb and is still overeating it's not going to do her any good on the weight loss. Proper weighing and logging will benefit her regardless of what dietary path she chooses. She might also want to first discuss such dietary changes with her doctors especially if she's being medicated for her condition.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I'd suggest she get her caloric consumption in order via weighing first. If she goes low carb and is still overeating it's not going to do her any good on the weight loss. Proper weighing and logging will benefit her regardless of what dietary path she chooses. She might also want to first discuss such dietary changes with her doctors especially if she's being medicated for her condition.

Yea, I understand that. My suggestion was more additive in nature. Address logging accuracy and consistency and it may be found beneficial to modify macronutrient profile.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Let's recap

1. Strive for more logging accuracy in nutrition diary, buy food scale and weigh all solid/semi-solid foods
    2. Use something a bit more reasonable for calorie burn estimations, HRM for steady state, calculator for HIIT & lifting
    3. Increase calories to a much higher percentage of TDEE. Honestly being as close to your goal weight as you are and working out that much a 10% deficit should be your max. You just don't have that much to lose. It would probably be a good idea just to aim for recomp at this point.
  • tiffanyschadow
    tiffanyschadow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The food scale is on it's way! This is the most exciting discovery yet so thank you! In regards to calories burned during workouts there are many great calculators on google and even if I use a slow pace in my equation I'm still well well above a 600 calorie burn....I wouldn't trust a precor read! I think that due to my age (40), and yes being so close to my weight goal, my metabolism is probably in starvation state which would explain my chronic fatigue and sudden slow weight loss. I lost my first 16 lbs BAM in 2 months.....now for the next 3-5 lbs
    ugh!
  • WBB55
    Options
    The food scale is on it's way! This is the most exciting discovery yet so thank you! In regards to calories burned during workouts there are many great calculators on google and even if I use a slow pace in my equation I'm still well well above a 600 calorie burn....I wouldn't trust a precor read! I think that due to my age (40), and yes being so close to my weight goal, my metabolism is probably in starvation state which would explain my chronic fatigue and sudden slow weight loss. I lost my first 16 lbs BAM in 2 months.....now for the next 3-5 lbs
    ugh!
    Good job with the scale! You're probably going to be shocked!

I did want to point out you're contradicting yourself, though. On one hand you say your metabolism is shot, but then on the other hand you're saying you're certain of your exercise burn based on calculators that use average numbers. If your metabolism is shot, then you can't rely on calculators on line. Long term accurately tracked data is all you can trust, not calculators on the internet. Just a little tip, ok?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    One thing to point out. It really doesn't matter what your real metabolic rate is or how much you burn through exercise as those are only part of the equation. What matters is your tdee (maintenance calories). From there you can form a daily deficit. So once you get your food scale, log for a month and then you can figure out where you really maintain lose and gain.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Look up your BMR - its based on your height/weight/age/gender and is an estimate of what your body burns in a day to stay alive. To process/digest food, keep your heart & lungs functioning, maintain body temp, etc. Then there is a multiplier factored in based on activity. If you have a fairly sedentary life, moving thru your day would burn an additional 15-20% of your BMR. If you are more active, your lifestyle would burn more perhaps 25-30%. Then you factor in calories from intentional exercise.

The total is your total daily calorie burn. Eating less means over time you'll lose weight. But the total daily burn is an estimate, and the established formulas for BMR, etc. may not be perfect for everyone. Such as some medical conditions could mean a person burns under the average for their stats.

BUT it sounds like you are 3 pounds from goal? At 128 the body does not burn a lot. Based on my own estimations, on an active (for me) day (I might walk a total of 12k steps) and only burn a total of 1800-1900 calories if its a work day where I spend lots of time at a desk. My activity is walking in the morning and/or at lunch time and/or evening. Plus running errands like going to the bank, grocery store, etc. When you're small and burning at a low rate, accuracy on the calories in becomes very important.
    I understand the fundamental thought process of a caloric deficit and why that is critical for weight loss in addition to exercise but how exactly does one understand how much of a caloric deficit they need to create daily and how do you even begin to track it other than specific exercise? So....while I can easily log my workout minutes and calorie loss....about how many calories am I burning just living a "normal day" so that I have a clearer understanding of what my "real" deficit is. Right now, per Fitness Pal, my calorie goal is 1200 a day to get to my 125lb weight goal. I typically eat about 800-1400 calories a day and then exercise resulting in a loss of 800-1000 calories a day 5x a week. If you need to burn (approximately) 3500 calories to lose 1 lb then I should be at or below my goal weight but have plateaued at about 128 lbs for weeks!!! HELP

• StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Ps-I'm 5'5.6", 40, female and my maintenance range is between 123-128. So I'm similar in weight. Walking I might burn 4-5 cals per minute. Running, 6-7. At most. Smaller bodies do not burn big numbers.
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but just felt the need to point out: an overweight man is going to burn much more than a 128 pound woman. I could run an hour and hit 390 at most calories burned in an hour. My husband could lay around on the couch all day and get a higher TDEE than what I have to work for.

Osric

• tincanonastring
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but just felt the need to point out: an overweight man is going to burn much more than a 128 pound woman. I could run an hour and hit 390 at most calories burned in an hour. My husband could lay around on the couch all day and get a higher TDEE than what I have to work for.

Osric

Yep. Someone pointed it out already. I was fuzzy thinking this morning and didn't limit the statement to the context of the OP as the commenter intended.